Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkland war

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

falcon2006

Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkland war

Post by falcon2006 »

I'm playing the community scenario of Falkland war, my question is in reality, where did royal navy deploy their carriers. Is there a specific distance and direction between the task force and Falkland? If so, what is the distance? BTW, can anyone recommend me books about modern(1970-) carrier group formation, tactics and warfare?
Rory Noonan

RE: Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkland war

Post by Rory Noonan »

The deployment in my scenario Good Morning Malvinas is based on historical accounts, of course after that date the group moved around.
Sensei.Tokugawa

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

So how about that South Georgia scenario you were once planning when you released the already mentioned scenario of yours - "Good Morning Malvinas", one of the best Falkland war scenarios I have ever played in this game?
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Life got in the way; come to think of it that was just over a year ago.

I'm working on something else at the moment but I think I should get into the South Georgia one and get it done.

Glad to know there is still interest.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Regarding distance, they'd begin flight ops as close to their intended target as possible. They'd probably begin flying defensive air patrols even before that. Think of the defensive counter air patrols as a shield. You start flying that early and make sure it's always between you and your opponent, ideally far enough away that they're intercepted before they get in missile launch range. For strike, you want to get the carrier as close to the Falklands as possible and still stay safe. That means outside of their SAM coverage, outside their DCAP coverage and outside the range of any land based ASCMs or artillery. The idea behind getting as close as you can is that it maximizes your sortie rate by minimizing the time aircraft have to fly to their targets and back. The further away you are, the fewer sorties you can fly.

ORIGINAL: falcon2006

I'm playing the community scenario of Falkland war, my question is in reality, where did royal navy deploy their carriers. Is there a specific distance and direction between the task force and Falkland? If so, what is the distance? BTW, can anyone recommend me books about modern(1970-) carrier group formation, tactics and warfare?

Return to “The War Room”