opnn (CP) vs operating (E) finished

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

operating

RE: opnn (CP) vs operating (E) active

Post by operating »

Hello nehi,

I'd agree with you to an extent. Here goes why: First off, AC's only cost 5 PP and have only 1 PP upkeep, cav cost 20 PP and have 2 PP upkeep, both take 3 turns to deploy. The front above is not my primary front, Poland and Western Russia is and also the battle for control of the Baltic, at the same time do not want to get caught off guard here just in case opnn comes up with some devious plan. He is investing a lot in his Suez offensive for now, he might be looking elsewhere once he gives up there.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 15

Constantinople

The Entente blockade is still in effect here, the AH sub is busy trying to break it by attacking the French with limited success, for now the French are just ignoring AH and perform it's primary duty. On the Black Sea side Russia is bombarding every PP it can out of Constantinople and if they score a solid damaging hit on the garrison all that much for the better..[;)] Sooner or later will relieve the French cruiser once another fleet shows up to replace it..

Attachments
ctgw_1486174285.jpg
ctgw_1486174285.jpg (362.16 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 15

Serbia

Out of the 12 units on this front half are in terrible state of readiness as a result of air and artillery attacks, I'm sure opnn sees this and biding his time as to when he is going to go with a full ground assault. Employed English and French commanders here for defense support, but that does not effect the Serb units, wish it did, and this is a good reason why the Serbs should of had a commander from the beginning as it should of had when the game was created. After all: Is it not the in the title of this game? COMMANDERS...!!! Never could understand why there were not more commanders in this game..[&:]

Attachments
ctgw_1486174304.jpg
ctgw_1486174304.jpg (392.73 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 15

Warsaw-Galicia

Sometimes it's best to let units rest during winter turns, unless a player has a method to the madness, such as; Alternating attacks on one of your enemy, like where there is a salient, to wear down a unit. Rescue of Brest-Livosk is out of the question from Vinnytsia, for the shortest route just got blocked.. Very little action in this sector otherwise..

Attachments
ctgw_1486174325.jpg
ctgw_1486174325.jpg (432.4 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 15

Kovno-Vilna

Caught the German infantry getting into line, busted him first with fighters then an infantry killed off a couple of strengths, leaving it very vulnerable to further attacks. Picked on a cav near Kovno scoring a hit. Also bombarded a cav near Riga scoring a hit there too, while my infantry rested and repaired.

Attachments
ctgw_1486174342.jpg
ctgw_1486174342.jpg (435.15 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 15

North Baltic

The sub fleets blockade of this body of water is still on, keep in mind, that the subs have to attack every turn in order to be a blocker, otherwise they go hidden; then any fleet can just sail over the hidden sub fleet, so by attacking is the best way to let others know of their presence, eventually individual sub fleets will get worn down and have to return to port for repairs. Just about every turn these subs are knocking down the strengths of the northern German cruisers and holding up the supply convoy in pink circle. Needless to say other sub fleets are on the way..

Attachments
ctgw_1486174384.jpg
ctgw_1486174384.jpg (356.51 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 15

France

Belgium is still hanging in there, don't think they'll last another turn, they are in really bad shape.[:(] I'm trying to help them with naval and support. That yellow circle holds a English cav in transport, by rights I do not think any ground units can identify it, perhaps an air unit can, but there are no air units in Belgium, what fighters that were there have fled back towards Germany, otherwise they would have interdicted the French fighter's attack. So with a little luck my cav may capture Calais unopposed.

Attachments
ctgw_1486174422.jpg
ctgw_1486174422.jpg (457.37 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 15

Strategic Bombing Map

This is just to give the reader an idea of how far English balloons can hit German and German held Belgian/French cities. Going to have to do research to see if balloons could reach that far during the actual war. This kind of bombing is devastating to the German economy, if repeated over and over again.. Certainly knew about zeppelins bombing the English countryside.

Attachments
ctgw_1486174495.jpg
ctgw_1486174495.jpg (403.75 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 17

Belgian Surrender

The curious part about the Belgian surrender is: It has no effect on other allies NM. If England, France, Italy, Serbia, or Russia surrender the remaining nations, including Belgium, would receive a minus NM, which I thought was odd.[&:]

Attachments
ctgw_1486241049.jpg
ctgw_1486241049.jpg (326.17 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 17

Strategic Bombing Map

Take note of any changes to CP cities production. The orange circles indicate where English balloons are stationed, the purple one is a fighter squadron with commander.

Attachments
ctgw_1486243575.jpg
ctgw_1486243575.jpg (400.92 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 17

Strategic Bombing Map

Also note that the first balloon city strike near a German fighter results in strength losses, in this picture there were 2 such occasions, a third or fourth strike goes unmolested. A direct strike on a fighter by a balloon will cause the balloon to lose 4 strength points.

Attachments
ctgw_1486243583.jpg
ctgw_1486243583.jpg (407.25 KiB) Viewed 115 times
nehi

Post by nehi »

blimp chickane, someone should teach u good manners [:D]
operating

Post by operating »

Sometime after posting the strategic bombing, almost exclusively went to tactical bombing and yes my air casualties went up and gave opnn some breathing room with PP. The strategic bombing can end the match real early am trying the more conventional approach, although opnn is killing me with his strategic bombing, which is going to be covered through posts here later..[;)]
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 17

France

Did a combined attack on the German infantry northeast of Paris giving it a good drubbing, I'm sure it would have retreated had there not been a reserve directly behind it. The only way the French can regain ground is to have sustained attacks on a given unit for a number of turns, most attacks are conducted with air-power, letting French infantry rest before another push. Once a unit get's into a degraded condition they can be kept in that condition , if not worse by shore bombardment, such as being done at Calais. Slipped under the wires to assault Metz only to destroy the production point developed there, usually raids like this will stop production there for 3 or 4 turns or there abouts. Moved the troop transport for a possible landing at Antwerp, might get lucky next turn..[&o]

Attachments
ctgw_1486243624.jpg
ctgw_1486243624.jpg (446.05 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 17

North Baltic

This is a very compact body of water to have all these naval units, so it's a bit of logistics to rotate out fleets through ZOCs to join the battle, or to escape to port for repairs, such as was done with withdrawing the Russian step 6 sub fleet, to be replaced with a Brit full strength fleet with admiral. The Brit subs went on the attack against a pre-dreadnaught, while the Russians attacked the light cruiser. I could see where a German light cruiser slipped off to the north and replaced by a German class II sub fleet, which I don't even bother to try attacking (hard to kill). Got a new Russian class I sub fleet by Tallinn that will join the action next turn. The German supply fleet has not moved.

Attachments
ctgw_1486243669.jpg
ctgw_1486243669.jpg (410.18 KiB) Viewed 115 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 17

Kovno-Vilna

Russian dreadnaught pounded enemy cav near Riga while infantry replenished all down the line. Kept up air assault on nearby infantry and attacked cav with infantry then will rest this unit till spring. New garrison deployed By Minsk. Otherwise the line stayed static..

Attachments
ctgw_1486243694.jpg
ctgw_1486243694.jpg (422.71 KiB) Viewed 115 times
nehi

Post by nehi »

btw. i guess city/fortress has los 1, so u cant land directly there unseen
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: nehi

btw. i guess city/fortress has los 1, so u cant land directly there unseen

I don't think city/forts have a LOS, however it may be able to show something is in the sea hex on the minimap, but not what it actually is? In otherwords, it cannot distinguish if it is a transport or some other kind of fleet. A zep would be able to give answers, a unit in the city would be able to tell, but not the city by itself.. So my best guess is: If the transport goes unnoticed on the minimap, then it is possible to pull off a city capture...
nehi

Post by nehi »

its hard to try it vs ai how it works

but there is not fog of war

look at screenshot (units disbanded allready in previous turn)

ports and cities have los 1 even over sea

i guess if there is unit nearby, maybe it has no graphics, but u can select hex with such "invisible" unit and then u can identify its type

Attachments
fow.jpg
fow.jpg (423.61 KiB) Viewed 116 times
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: nehi

i guess if there is unit nearby, maybe it has no graphics, but u can select hex with such "invisible" unit and then u can identify its type

Perhaps what you are saying is true, I don't know it for fact it is true, personally it's something I will experiment with to see if it is true. but somehow what you are suggesting seems to be somewhat arduous, for if you initially do not see anything graphic, but suspect something is there, a player would have to go fishing at every coastline sea hex to see if they catch something every turn. I seriously doubt anybody is going to do that.. Without using any information off the mini-map.

Return to “After Action Reports”