Pirate defend missions

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Lucian

Pirate defend missions

Post by Lucian »

I'm playing an ordinary empire with quite a few powerful pirates around me, one of which I'm paying off and are on good terms with. Most are neutral and one hates me.

Trouble is, when I post a defend mission for one of my colonies, nobody even considers it. Ever. Doesn't matter which colony I choose, no pirate factions ever even consider the offer. Attack missions are fine whenever I post them, several of the pirates bid on it and I always get attack missions to work but I cant seem to get any pirate factions to ever defend my colonies.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is it only happening for me?
Is it a known bug?
Anybody know?
btd64

RE: Pirate defend missions

Post by btd64 »

Did you offer them RUM.

Anyway, Those missions have always worked for me. Are you sure that your hitting OK?....GP
Attachments
Romulian Ale.jpg
Romulian Ale.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Damn, should have known no real pirate would work without Rum!

But no I agree its very strange, I haven't played DW for ages but my distant memories seem to be telling me it worked fine when I last played. Just not this time.

I'm selecting the planet and then clicking the little pirate defend mission icon at the bottom of the planet info panel. The mission comes up on the list of pirate missions but where attack missions are instantly populated by lots of pirate factions all competing for the job, defense missions just sit there displaying "0 empires considering this mission" forever. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or even if I'm doing anything wrong.

I'd be happy to increase the payment if its too low but I dont even think that's possible, the game just decides.

Attachments
20170211_002155.jpg
20170211_002155.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 101 times
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Maybe the relations modifier your empire has with the pirate factions in the area is very negative?
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Ah, but he has a good standing with his the pirates....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Yeah I've been +20 with one pirate faction (who have about 100 military ships) for the entire game, most of the other factions - 5 or 6 of them - are pretty neutral (-0 to -10) and only one is furious with me (-150ish or more). But whenever I post an attack mission they immediately all fall over themselves to bid for it (they all hate each-other too). But any defend mission I post is always totally ignored by everyone forever. Weird.

I take it this isn't happening for anybody else and defend missions are working fine for others? Maybe there's just something wonky about this particular game? I might try another game and see if its still happening.

Edit: Managed to dig up a couple of 2 year old games both of which were about in mid-game. Posted defend missions in both of them and once again nobody was interested, permanent "0 empires considering this mission" messages for both. Is everybody sure that pirate defend missions are working for them? If so I might have to reinstall.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

They work for me. What type of pirates are they? I believe only standard and mercenary pirate factions do those missions.

Lucian

Post by Lucian »

ORIGINAL: DeadlyShoe

They work for me. What type of pirates are they? I believe only standard and mercenary pirate factions do those missions.

Oh, that's a good question. Unfortunately the game is so far along now that only one pirate faction is still alive (barely) and they are "balanced". I dont have a save going back far enough to check out the others.

Also if I look at that faction, it says "Completed defense missions: 7" and I'm sure some of the others had similar completed defense mission stats before they all died. So it seems they are doing defense missions just not for me. Never for me. :( I feel somewhat discriminated against.

Glad to hear they're working for you though, I might try reinstalling and see if it makes a difference.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Could have something to do with your race type. Not compatable....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Lucian

Post by Lucian »

I'm playing humans, maybe they all just hate humans. Except for attack missions which they all fell over themselves to accept every time I posted one. Beats me.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”