New Siltherine/Ageod engine

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

marek1978

New Siltherine/Ageod engine

Post by marek1978 »

Hey, is it going to be operational or rather strategic game system?
Is it going to be used for horse and musket warfare or rather panzer one?
I keep my finger crossed for something that will fit XVII/XVIII/XIX century warfare.
It would be great to play 1806 campaign or napoleon in russia or Blenheim campaign...
Freyr Oakenshield

RE: New Siltherine/Ageod engine

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Huh? Could you specify what engine? Do you mean the one for Steel Tigers?
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

We are building a new engine for AGEOD games based on our Archon engine, which is still being developed in Slitherine.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Is there a discussion forum related to it? I'm curious what changes are being implemented.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I'm sorry but there's no forum discussion.
As far as I know, basically the changes, for the moment, are more technically and not related with game mechanics.
Anyway this is running internally between AGEOD developers and Slitherine Archon's team.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

We will look forward to hearing more about it! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
marek1978

Post by marek1978 »

quote from the interwiew:

"..there is a new engine in the making that we are developing in-house with several Slitherine developers located in Canada. It will be a turn based (WEGO) engine that strives to be the best of both worlds, between having modern graphics while keeping the innovative gameplay of Ageod."

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

This sounds great. I love AGEOD games and the topics they choose, but undoubtedly the engine is clunky and could use a replacement. Hope this goes smoothly and is able to deliver everything the AGEOD games have promised, but not quite delivered, in the past.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

We are building a new engine for AGEOD games based on our Archon engine, which is still being developed in Slitherine.

If the Archon engine turns out to be as good as it is hoped to be, that will be great news. After my experience with Pride of Nations, I quit buying AGEOD titles due to the engine they used.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
budd

Post by budd »

AGEOD games are the ones i have just not been able to get into, i tried. The battle abstractions, containers, i think it boiled down to an "abstraction to far" for me. I like the battles they cover and Revolution under Siege still tempts me because of the subject matter. I hope the engine turns out to be as flexible as advertised, worried about different skin same general game. We'll find out because AGEOD, 2by3 [Steel Tigers], Santus Reach are very different games. I really, really hope Steel Tigers works out, i have faith in 2by3 to get it done right. I just wonder if it will grab me like the original game did, played that game for 10 years straight before i burned out on it and couldnt go back. My first impression of Santus Reach without playing it[watching youtube video's] was an upgraded Battle Academy.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
operating

Post by operating »

If the new engine drops all battles have to be auto resolve battles for conventional war games, then I'd be interested. Like stated above; I do like many of the titles and era's Ageod presents. Not crazy about Wego, but if it let the player have a more on hands on approach to battles, then I could live with Wego..
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
JReb

Post by JReb »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

AGEOD games are the ones i have just not been able to get into, i tried. The battle abstractions, containers, i think it boiled down to an "abstraction to far" for me. I like the battles they cover and Revolution under Siege still tempts me because of the subject matter. I hope the engine turns out to be as flexible as advertised, worried about different skin same general game. We'll find out because AGEOD, 2by3 [Steel Tigers], Santus Reach are very different games. I really, really hope Steel Tigers works out, i have faith in 2by3 to get it done right. I just wonder if it will grab me like the original game did, played that game for 10 years straight before i burned out on it and couldnt go back. My first impression of Santus Reach without playing it[watching youtube video's] was an upgraded Battle Academy.

budd,

You captured my feelings almost word for word. I've been concerned with this shift of all game development to this new engine but kept my mouth shut. My biggest fear is that the new Steel Tigers winds up being Battle Academy III.

I also feel a little hypocritical for these fears because I am a big fan of Paradox games and although there are many similar elements between HOI3 and EU4 they are distinctly different games. I can't say EU4 is an updated and reskinned HOI3 and yet in some ways there is some truth to that.

My sincerest hope is that this new engine does have the flexibility to handle the different operating theatres and timelines that wargames cover. Its hard to envision an Ageod game playing out on that Battle Academy / Warhammer engine. I hope I'm wrong and just paranoid.
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Do you see any similarities between for example Order of Battle: WW2, Battle of Bulge, Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager and Heroes of Normandie?
They use the same engine, Unity.
An AGEOD game will never be like a Battle Academy, Sanctus Reach or a Pike & Shot game. [:)]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

AGEOD games are the ones i have just not been able to get into, i tried.
Same here; I like the period and topics they cover, but could never get into the games.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Revolution Under Siege was a huge game, spanning an incredible area of battle. I felt the engine for that game was powerful in its day. But the credit goes to the specific devs for pushing the limit. Spanish Civil War was like buying a scenario. Anyways, time for a new engine that hopefully will not be dumbed down. After all, I am dumb but had no problem playing RUS after some practice [;)]
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Do you see any similarities between for example Order of Battle: WW2, Battle of Bulge, Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager and Heroes of Normandie?
They use the same engine, Unity.
An AGEOD game will never be like a Battle Academy, Sanctus Reach or a Pike & Shot game. [:)]
You make a good point. Is that new game English Civil war using the new engine? The product page says being developed by HQ, whos that.

i should read better, it says the game is using the new engine. But who is HQ
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

But who is HQ

HQ are the developers of España 1936 and the Thirty Years Wars.
I don't think they are using the new engine, but I need to confirm it.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

I think I read on Ageod forum that the ECW will use the standard Ageod engine.
BTW, I love TYW, imho, they (HQ) did a great job so I'm looking forward to ECW
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

HQ games is Miguel Santacruz - posts on AGEOD as Liebstandarte. He did the Spanish Civil War game and the Thirty Years War one ; and is doing the forthcoming English Civil War one I think.

I like the Ageod games even though I usually only play the shorter scenarios. The maps are gorgeous and add to the historical flavour.

Some of the games have a free demo - RUS - Revolution Under Siege - probably the only game about the Russian revolution is one. That game was built by a small team too.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

HQ games is Miguel Santacruz - posts on AGEOD as Liebstandarte. He did the Spanish Civil War game and the Thirty Years War one ; and is doing the forthcoming English Civil War one I think.

I like the Ageod games even though I usually only play the shorter scenarios. The maps are gorgeous and add to the historical flavour.

Some of the games have a free demo - RUS - Revolution Under Siege - probably the only game about the Russian revolution is one. That game was built by a small team too.
If I am not mistaken, but I think SCWWI has a couple of scenarios concerning the Russian Revolution, if not there it would be in related game Breakthrough..
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “General Discussion”