tcip play ... not able to link up

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

gamerdude

tcip play ... not able to link up

Post by gamerdude »

after trying all 3 sub-games, trying from both sides (me starting-him starting), both V4 Ip numbers and even the
V6 IP numbers, we made sure that we were both on the version 2.02, and trying ip numbers from both the router and the
computer... we still get no-valid-session error messages. We also disabled both our firewalls. PLEASE HELP!! this
ability to play by tcip is why we purchased the upgraded/new game. thanks
Deepstuff3725

RE: tcip play ... not able to link up

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Hey gamerdude.

I've run into the same situation trying to play this great game via IP with a buddy of mine. "No valid game exists".

From what I found, the answer is to setup a "peer to peer" network. This can make the connection be like a LAN connection between the two pc's via Internet. I'm going to try this soon and make sure it works.

There are different options. One I will use is Hamachi. Can get it at vpn.net

And here is a video that can guide you, or anyone else, step by step on how to download, setup, an use it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ryvSWIKwcB4

Hope this helps.... Jeff

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff123

Hey gamerdude.

I've run into the same situation trying to play this great game via IP with a buddy of mine. "No valid game exists".

From what I found, the answer is to setup a "peer to peer" network. This can make the connection be like a LAN connection between the two pc's via Internet. I'm going to try this soon and make sure it works.

There are different options. One I will use is Hamachi. Can get it at vpn.net

And here is a video that can guide you, or anyone else, step by step on how to download, setup, an use it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ryvSWIKwcB4

Hope this helps.... Jeff

Hi Jeff,

If you could indeed get back on this once you've managed to get the VPN / peer-to-peer link running that would be greatly appreciated!

What worked, how you managed to get it working, any gotchas. [:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
berto

Post by berto »

When this game was first coded (the game still uses the original network code), life was so much simpler before: internal networks with nonroutable IP addresses; port forwarding; firewalling, both at the Windows box and the router (at both ends!); IPv6; etc.

We know that the game's network play mechanism works perfectly fine on internal networks. But reaching out across the Internet especially with all the more recent security roadblocks and safeguards, one can indeed very well run into difficulty.

Yes, setting up a VPN and network playing the game off that is probably the best way to go.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Yes, with CS Middle East the manual describes this option as Playing over a Local Area Network.
---
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Hey Crossroads. Sorry it took a while to respond.

My friend is networked into work from home on a server and is hesitant to setup a peer to peer network connection because of this, so we have not tried it.

From what I've researched it should work, allowing a LAN connection for pc's in different locations. I have 2 pc's at home and I can setup a multiplayer game in CS on my two pc's with a LAN connection, no problem.

On a side note, I've created a system to play against the AI and make sure the battle is more balanced. In the past I've noticed I would move and shoot more often than the AI. I'd move the slider to give the AI an advantage, but still I would be able to move and fire more often than the AI, still having an edge.
I've setup a way to limit the amount of units I can move, move and fire, in a turn. And overall I'll setup, based on the scenario, how much I can fire compared to the AI, then track it as the scenario goes on. The result is a more balanced experience and more challenge. I can post this in more detail in the future.

Jeff
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Cheers Jeff,

Yes, LAN play should work, hence a peer to peer should also work. Would be nice to have a write up of that, maybe someone else can chip in. I know folks have done this, just would like to see more details of it.

As for the vs-AI setup, interested to learn about that as well [:)]

---

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”