GD1938 Game 25 old VC

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

cpdeyoung

RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC

Post by cpdeyoung »

Excellent analysis - here are my thoughts.

Month 1 - Germany and Italy withdraw and offer peace to Allies. Allies occupy to border and accept peace. China makes peace with Japan.
Month 2 - Japan accepts Chinese offer and offers alliance. China allies with Japan and I give Rufus the password. He now controls four powers.
Month 3 - The USA declares war on the Asians, but not the Germans and Italians.

Month X - The European Axis declares war on the USSR after crushing the Czechs, etc.
Month X+1 - GB-FR declare war on GR-IT in sympathy with the Soviets.

Would this work?

Chuck
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Pending what rufus has to say, I think that seems fair. That will get the Americans involved as well, which could be fun for you, Chuck. I understand it would be difficult and a bit frustrating if you needed to holster the ace up your sleeve (USA).

I would be very open to what rufus has to say, though, since he has a *much* better insight on the situation than I do.
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Interesting idea to make China and Japan sign paeca and fight united. It offers a new way of playing the war in Far East.

My only concern is that it might be too boring for Tortugapower to wait til Axis is ready to attack SU. Fighting a two front war needs some preparation.

What about any DoW of SU against China, as punishment for their alliance with Japan?

Btw, in case SU attacks any minor that seeks for help from Axis, SU and Axis might sign peace - just as Axis and USA did the last turns. So SU can train its armies in the minors.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Instead of X+1 for the FR-GB DoW on GR-IT we could wait till a trigger condition. Perhaps the GR-IT being within four hexes of one of the Soviet big three, Moscow, Leningrad or Stalingrad.

I am looking forward to taking my inexperienced USA to war with the Asians.

I agree that if the USSR attacks a minor the minor should be defended vigorously, but this should not necessarily trigger a major power war between the USSR and GR-IT. Fight it out and make peace. You guys can decide this on a case by case basis. If the USSR invades Romania it might be a a deal breaker and lead to real war with GR-IT. If you need an arbitrator just ask Churchill.

This could be fun for all, and that is our goal here - may the best warriors win.

Chuck
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

I don't have any immediate designs on the European nations. I will surely make war with Finland, as should surprise no one, but other than that, I am willing to abide by some treaty not to attack European nations until such time as the Germans violate our neutrality. Am I reading this correctly that I am being asked not to invade Europe?

And "two-front war"... will the Allies and Axis have a peace treaty or not?

I'm a relatively passive player as anyone but the Axis (by nature I'm much more a Montgomery than a Patton, to my own chagrin). So I would be content to twiddle my thumbs and take Finland until the Axis attack.

If I attack Romania (not a goal in 1939 at least), I think it should be rufus' decision whether that triggers full-blown war or not. So, again, the trend of my decisions is "you guys know better than me".
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I don't think that was Rufus' intention, nor is it mine.

As I see it you can attack anyone you want to. If the MFN defender is FR or GB I will fight the side as hard as I can, but will not consider the USSR as being at war with GB or FR. I suspect Rufus will do much the same, but if he considers it in the interests of GR-IT he may make it the beginning of an actual war between GR-IT and the USSR - his decision I guess, but then he could go for Barbarossa next turn too.

The Axis and FR-GB will have peace once the withdrawal occurs, not to be changed by FR-GB till the "trigger" or other criteria we come up with.

Chuck
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Okay, thanks for the clarification, I understand now.
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

24 July 1939

The Czechs are facing a very strong combination of German and Italian troops. Vienna has been retaken by these forces, and the Czech motherland has been assaulted. All this has not been free for the Axis as the Czechs are hard fighters.

The British and French have invited the Axis to vacate France and launched a coordinated attack on a German spearhead with artillery, airpower, and an armored assault. The spearhead took losses and retired. Again, the Allies have offered to make peace with Germany and Italy after they withdraw from French territory. Great Britain and France are ready to fight and like our chances in a struggle. Germany and Italy can pull back a hex or two, and have peace in the west.

The Chinese have demonstrated that their new armor has claws by forcing a Japanese column away from Kaifeng. China is looking more and more like a power, and the Japanese should consider the benefits of making peace here and looking to a possible joint prosperity sphere with China to defend against the looming American presence.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Oops, I may have forgotten to put the German turn up on Dropbox.

It is there now. So sorry.

If I seem slow check with me as I try to do the turns on time.

Chuck
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

You've been so quick about them that I don't think anyone minds.
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

21 August 1939

Peace is breaking out all over.

The Germans have withdrawn from France, and will make peace after subduing the Czechs.

The Japanese and Chinese are at peace for the first time in many years.

What does this mean for the Soviet Union and the USA?
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

1939, October.

Finland... capitulated. I'm going to share my recording with Chuck, as he won't be my enemy. I'm wondering though, do you think I should actually redo this? If I quit and reload the game, I don't Finland will concede. In fact, I was so sure they wouldn't concede, I didn't even check their chances to do so. A Winter War may be more fun and keep Chuck involved, even though we know that war with Germany is just on the horizon.
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I see no problem with Finland capitulating, and I think it was a wise decision on their part.

The perfidy of the Japanese-Chinese combination has made the USA realize that a war in the Pacific is necessary, and the US will be carefully evaluating her options there.

The Soviet Union should garrison Finland and prepare for Barbarossa.

Joint Chiefs of Staff
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

It is funny that after all your effort to get a Winter War it ends in capitulation!

Chuck
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Although it would be easier for me to attack you while you are engaged in Finland, we should keep it as it is. Capitulation is one of the options in this scenario. So we should accept it and not redo a turn because we dont like the result.
It would be different if a major mistake would have been made. In this case we might replay a turn.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

16 October 1939

With the crisis past French troops withdraw from their very close collaboration with the British. The impressive squadrons of Char B1-bis that held off Germany came with a high price. France now I rejigging its economy to increase general war making capacity. The French Navy has reformed fleets of their own. The experience of close cooperation with the British Army and Royal Navy has benefitted all sides.

Germany continues its war, turned to the East now. The brave and skilled Czechs, undaunted by the loss of Prague, have captured Vienna. Their days are numbered however as masses of German and Italian troops head east. Speculation runs rampant that an invasion of the Soviet union is in the cards.

Meanwhile the Chinese-Npponese pact has opened up new possibilities for trouble in the Far East. Great Britain, France, and the United States have all warned this new Asian power that the existing order in Asia and Pacific waters is not subject to change. The USA has reinforced the Philippines. The Western Powers will not accept a permanent acquisition of China by Japan. This potential superpower must not exist.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Just curious, is the latest save game correct? One for "Germany" is uploaded by Rufus, the player of Germany. Incorrectly named or am I missing something?
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Rufus has busy weekends, and I think he did China, and paused to come back to Germany-Italy-Japan in a bit.

I hope this is correct.

Chuck
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Rufus has gotten his Axis in shape, and the turn is ready for you, Power guy.

Chuck
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

1939, December.

Our forward elements on the front with Germany have noted a significant build-up of Axis forces. There has been no word from Berlin about this, and the Soviet forces are getting a little antsy that maybe the Germans aren't satisfied with the generous treaty line we provided them after the return of Polish lands to both our great nations.

In another disturbing report, it seems Japanese forces have begun to fill the once-empty borders in the Far East with combat troops. With the political situation there in absolutely chaos, we suspect this is just a natural defensiveness on the Japanese part, following the cessation of hostilities with China.

Russia is still convinced that the Japanese-China coalition will not violate the agreed upon borders. (This is Tortuga's understanding, at least.)
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “After Action Reports”