V1 rocket gripe

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

AnimalAl

V1 rocket gripe

Post by AnimalAl »

Okay I know this is in the manual, but I built V1 rockets as Axis with the intent on doing some strategic bombing. They have a range of 2-3 hexes?? That's barely enough for tactical battles. I thought these things flew (IRL) as far as fighter planes could. This seems to be a significant let down. Am I doing something wrong, not right-clicking or checking a box?

Seems that we should be able to range further, but I see in the Wiki, their actual range was 250 km and that's kind of short.

Anyway... fun game. Going to move the rockets and blow up some T55s maybe.
"Military strategy is the diplomacy of violence" (Thomas Schnelling).
ME262

RE: V1 rocket gripe

Post by ME262 »

I have to agree on this subject, the range should be increased to several hexes not just three. The same with coastal guns.
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

You should be able to hit London from the closest point on the French coast at a minimum - which you can't. Forget about them reaching from Holland. Researching the Rocket tech is supposed to increase their range, but I got up to Rocket 3 and I didn't see the increase I expected - as is you can just punish the closest English coastal city (Dover?) and that's it.
Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

We can do it by ourselves, editing the range in the editor.
Which could be a reasonable range, and make it sense augment also the unit's production cost?
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Yes, you really ought to be able to target hexes in the eastern England from France and the low countries with higher rocket tech, though not until about 1944
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

Are you aware that rockets level one doesn't equals the V1? Don't get carried away because in both cases there is a "one" when you spell it.
Once you have researched rocket techs, you will be able to hit London. But not at level 0 or 1. Germany was only in late 1944 able to attack London, but not in 1942 or 1943. And they researched the tech from turn one (spoken in game terms).
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
Boonierat1972

Post by Boonierat1972 »

Never researched that tech while playing the axis but I recall one game when the AI could rocket London and its harbor from France, and quite effectively! upset my D-Day landing plan when London port was reduced to 0 [X(]
Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
Vietnam Combat Operations
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

I would be interested in the exact number of Rocket Tech required to get range 5 or 6, does anyone know for certain what that is?
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Just took a quick look and Rockets start with a default range of 2 and their range increases by 1 for each level of Rocket Research achieved. Therefore you would need Level-3 Rocket Weapons to get to a range of 5 and so on.

Hope this helps!
Hubert
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Just took a quick look and Rockets start with a default range of 2 and their range increases by 1 for each level of Rocket Research achieved. Therefore you would need Level-3 Rocket Weapons to get to a range of 5 and so on.

Hope this helps!
Hubert

Thank You! That is a good way of delaying strategic rocket attacks to later in the game, Rocket level 3-5 are required before you can attack high priority ports and resources.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”