The Longest Day

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Gilmer

The Longest Day

Post by Gilmer »

So, weirdly enough Netflix lets me know this is available. The weird thing is, I'm pretty sure every time I have ever watched it, the Germans spoke German and there was the closed captioning for what they were saying.

This version they are speaking English. I mean I know they are supposed to be speaking German to each other, but for the movie's sake it's in English so they don't have to translate it.

I never knew they had a version like that. I remember the other version because on my older TV the translation was always cut off.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
sullafelix

RE: The Longest Day

Post by sullafelix »

I have only seen the one, many times, where they are speaking German.

Kurt Jurgens saying "nichts nichts".
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I accidentally bought a copy of Das Boot where instead of subtitles, the English is dubbed. It's very annoying to watch.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

My Das Boot DVD has one side in English, the other in German.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I hate dubbing!!

Also maybe it's the Mandella Effect why they now speak English in the film? That's if it's not been dubbed of course.

Take Star Wars for instance CP3O always gold all over..now he has a silver leg....or the famous line in Forest Gump 'Life is like a box of chocolates' now he says 'Life WAS like a box of chocolates'.

I remember a program called Sex in the City, the ex loved it. Now it's called Sex and the City...

Most likely all this is just poor memory or not really listening to things at the time..or it could be Quantum Mechanics in action with the Mandella Effect..
ORIGINAL: Neilster

I accidentally bought a copy of Das Boot where instead of subtitles, the English is dubbed. It's very annoying to watch.

Cheers, Neilster
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I don't think this is dubbed, though. If it is, they did a really good job of it.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Did you check the options in the subtitle menu? I know you can change the spoken language on many films and shows. Maybe there's a choice in there for Germans speaking German. I know I watched that as a kid many times and learned a few German words from it.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

Did you check the options in the subtitle menu? I know you can change the spoken language on many films and shows. Maybe there's a choice in there for Germans speaking German. I know I watched that as a kid many times and learned a few German words from it.

I would usually select the spoken German language with English subtitles myself. I also like to try to catch the occasional German word to flesh out my 'all of my German I learned from WWII games or movies' diction.

From Castle Wolfenstein (Apple IIe back in the day): "Halt!" "Ous Pass!*" "Heil!"

*This "Ous Pass" is seared into memory. But run through Google Translate, the phrase / command / imperative form of this phrase is "Dein Pass". Does 'ous pass' have any meaning for those German speakers out there? What would you say in a brief command for someone to hand over their pass / papers for your inspection?
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

What would you say in a brief command for someone to hand over their pass / papers for your inspection?

Ausweis is the German for Id Card.

Papiere, bitte for papers please.

Of course a short jab with a sharp bayonet is univerally understood and needs no subtitles.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: durangokid
Ausweis is the German for Id Card.

That's it! To my (uninformed) ear, it sounded like "Ous Pass".

Re: the bayonet 'interpreter'-that's true. Of course, if you use that for *all* communications, you can understand the confusion that results. "Are they jabbing me in the ribs with a sharp bayonette for my papers or because of the dress code or because they want a bribe or because I didn't bow or....?" [;)]
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

The correct procedure is for the sentries to check one's papers before one of them looks to a sinister figure in a leather trenchcoat and hat standing to one side. He moves forward.

"Papiere, bitte", says he. "Ihre Papiere sind nicht in Ordnung" (Your papers are not in order)
"Es ist ein kühler Abend, aber Sie schwitzen. Sind Sie in Eile sind, vielleicht '?" (It is a cool evening but you are sweating. Are you in a hurry, perhaps?)

You manage to smuggle the SOE radio parts through the checkpoint but have attracted suspicion. Looks like your beautiful, blonde accomplice is going to have to seduce Obersturmbannführer Schneider or someone is going to lose some toenails [:D]

Cheers, Neilster

p.s. Very optimistic German on my part, I know [;)]
Cheers, Neilster
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

The correct procedure is for the sentries to check one's papers before one of them looks to a sinister figure in a leather trenchcoat and hat standing to one side.

Why is there a hat standing to one side? I know ze Germans used a lot of starch in their garments, but could their hats stand? And why would a sentry look to a standing hat for approval?

[:'(]
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

From my time in the army in Germany, the first German I ever learned, "Ein bier bitte"
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

From my time in the army in Germany, the first German I ever learned, "Ein bier bitte"

What a spooky coincidence, that was my first phrase too. To be accurate, it was really my only German phrase.
reg113

Post by reg113 »

Mine was "Ein dunkel bier bitte" [:D]
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Ihre Aussichten für einen langen Schlaf haben gerade verbessert.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

Ihre Aussichten für einen langen Schlaf haben gerade verbessert.
Ich bin nicht müde. Ich habe einige Scho-Ka-Kola gegessen [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
Schokakola_1941.jpg
Schokakola_1941.jpg (253.95 KiB) Viewed 95 times
Cheers, Neilster
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

I hate dubbing!!

Me too. I hope that trend comes to an end.

The Longest Day
www.dailymotion.com/video/x3j1wej
sven6345789

Post by sven6345789 »

"From Castle Wolfenstein (Apple IIe back in the day): "Halt!" "Ous Pass!*" "Heil!""

Actually, they were saying "AUSWEIS!!" Which translates into pass or ID

Pass is Another german Word for passport (=Reisepass) ; Personalausweis= Id-card ; driving license would be "Führerschein" (no, doesn't have anything to do with "THE Führer"!) führen means to lead, so actually you do not only drive(= fahren) the vehicle, but you also decide where it goes to, so you lead the way!
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

ORIGINAL: AbwehrX
I hate dubbing!!

Me too. I hope that trend comes to an end.

Aye me too, but where I live (Spain) that's highly unlikely to happen though.
They dub from Movies, Cartoons, TV Series, Video games and down to these Discovery Channel's shows about cars, iceroad truckers etc etc.

As for Longest day, I only happen to own are the Black&White version and the colorized one.
Never heard of there being a English dubbed version out there.

Return to “General Discussion”