Worth Buying?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Nukes

Worth Buying?

Post by Nukes »

Would like to know if this is a worthwhile pursuit. What scenarios come with the game? Thanks.
Tac2i

RE: Worth Buying?

Post by Tac2i »

I'll let others talk about mods and scenarios. The main strength of this game for me and many others is the random game engine. I like to make history and not just replay historical scenarios. Read some of my AARs to get an idea about how it plays.
ORIGINAL: Nukes

Would like to know if this is a worthwhile pursuit. What scenarios come with the game? Thanks.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

Much obliged.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

This is one of my favorite games of all time, even though I really love a game or scenario that is fully historical. Everyone has their own preferences, but I can't conceive of a wargamer having regrets with this purchase. Cheers!
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
balto

Post by balto »

+1 on the Random Game engine. No one has a leg up on how the scenario works nor what to expect in your opponents force pool.
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

Really appreciate the help and advice. Started out with the African campaign as the Germans to get an idea for how the game works. Diggin it so far. I still have copies of some Avalon Hill games from my youth, but alas, none of my friends now are interested in that pursuit. A question though, could someone give me the steps they take to download and install mods on Windows 10? Thank you.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Really appreciate the help and advice. Started out with the African campaign as the Germans to get an idea for how the game works. Diggin it so far. I still have copies of some Avalon Hill games from my youth, but alas, none of my friends now are interested in that pursuit. A question though, could someone give me the steps they take to download and install mods on Windows 10? Thank you.

If the mod has an extension .atzip, then when you go into the main menu, simply click on "Install Zip/File" and navigate to the file and choose "Open", it should install fine if it's been packaged correctly. [:)]
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

Thanks Gary. I went though Firefox and the download seemed to work fine. I dowlnloaded the 4 seasons mod. There didn't seem to be any changes in graphics when opening a new game, unless there is another tweak I need to perform. Again thanks for the advice and help it is appreciated.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks Gary. I went though Firefox and the download seemed to work fine. I dowlnloaded the 4 seasons mod. There didn't seem to be any changes in graphics when opening a new game, unless there is another tweak I need to perform. Again thanks for the advice and help it is appreciated.

No problemo. The four season's mod uses it's own terrain graphics. Did they install?
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

When you start the game it should ask you if you want to load Advanced Tactics Gold (normal ATG) or 4 seasons mod in a little window. 4 seasons takes a while to load. Once loaded there will be a couple selections under the New Dawn buttons.

There should be three 4Seasons folders in the graphics folder.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”