New

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

timmyab

RE: New

Post by timmyab »

I would like to see something like a ramped up Vassal engine so that people can play hex and counter type board games but with all the advantages that computers offer in terms of bookkeeping, illegal moves, odds calculations etc. Vassal already has some of this but I think it could be developed much further. A lot of monster board games interest me but I consider them totaly impracticle in their present format, even on Vassal.

I feel that computer wargames are greatly compromised by the need to incorporate an AI. I know that sales depend on it, but it sucks so bad and it's like the game has to be developed around something with an IQ of about 50 (Being generous) [:D]
wodin

Post by wodin »

No isometric view in Decisive Campaigns...

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I select a screenshot at random and I see isometric view. Dislike that.

As for other recent wargames I dislike the toy soldier look.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I think you may be thinking of a different game Joe :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

The map looks isometric to me. One glance at the time the game was released and that was the sum of my research. In the last 10 years Matrix/Slitherine is famous for isometric and toy soldiers so it didn't require any further research 😊
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

You mean like War in the East (2010) and War in the West (2014)? :)
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I looked at those and was tempted.

However my favorite way to wargame is PBEM.

I PBEM'd Grisby's Uncommon Valour. There were SO MANY patches it made PBEM unplayable as the size of the force required to do a thing changed with every patch!

So I did not get either of those.
wodin

Post by wodin »

It's not isometric. Plus it's for me the best wargame I've played period above tactical scale.

It's a normal 2D top down hex map.

It's certainly not a Panzer Corps clone as I think that's what you are getting at.

DC is a proper hex based. turn based wargame that's also highly innovative and easy the most immersive wargame I've played that's higher than tactical scale.

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

The map looks isometric to me. One glance at the time the game was released and that was the sum of my research. In the last 10 years Matrix/Slitherine is famous for isometric and toy soldiers so it didn't require any further research 😊
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: bazjak
ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

So you want Matrix to reduce # of games it makes/publish?
I think if you reread my post again it says nowhere about Matrix reducing the number of games that they publish
Ok
I must admit i do not like the way you are going with all theses fantasy games you are publishing lately
And something about keeping to historical wargames. To me it sounded like Matrix should leave out the fantasy (war)games genre. If Matrix were to do that, wouldn't it mean less games?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

If you're dismissing games like Decisive Campaigns & War in the East / West then I'm not sure what you're looking for. Patches do not break saved games so patches improve the game and are not an issue to avoid multiplayer! I'm also not sure what you mean by isometric as we haven't actually ever done one as far as I can remember. One of the issues with wargamers is everyone has very specific requirements!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
wodin

Post by wodin »

I'm really baffled regarding the iso thing and DCB myself
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

anyone who didn't get and play Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa, missed out on one of the most fun and playable games made in years imo
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
dox44

Post by dox44 »

i bought it and played it for a month, actually about 6 weeks straight.

not my cup of tea at all...

Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

I know i will more than likely be shot down in flames but the thing that attracted me to Matrix was the war games that are on here
I must admit i do not like the way you are going with all theses fantasy games you are publishing lately
It was the war games that are set in this the real world that set you apart amongst the others
There are plenty of other sites out there for that kind of stuff so
Please keep to your core games
Sorry i dont mean to offend anyone but thats the way i feel

Try to get back to the original question:

First I too prefer "war games" over "fantasy" games (although they are usually about syfi wars) The reason I have personally been a big customer of Matrix is certainly the non fantasy war games.

However, a few "fantasy" games aren't too bad. The main reason it doesn't bother me if a company makes them is I understand that the market for them is probably bigger than the "war game" market. Either way it is a business and if the company can make a profit with fantasy games why not. I'd rather have a company survive to continue to offer some quality "war games" than go under or be able to offer little because they consider "fantasy" beneath them. So I guess in short while not many of the fantasy games are my cup of tea I can put up with them being offered knowing that a business must make decisions that are good for the company not just for an old grognard like myself.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

[/quote]

First I too prefer "war games" over "fantasy" games (although they are usually about syfi wars) The reason I have personally been a big customer of Matrix is certainly the non fantasy war games.

However, a few "fantasy" games aren't too bad. The main reason it doesn't bother me if a company makes them is I understand that the market for them is probably bigger than the "war game" market. Either way it is a business and if the company can make a profit with fantasy games why not. I'd rather have a company survive to continue to offer some quality "war games" than go under or be able to offer little because they consider "fantasy" beneath them. So I guess in short while not many of the fantasy games are my cup of tea I can put up with them being offered knowing that a business must make decisions that are good for the company not just for an old grognard like myself.

[/quote]

Well this certainly shut me up
I wont say another word as im inclined to inclined to agree with you much to my annoyance
Oh well you win some you lose some
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

A Rome or ROME II Total War wargame with "tactical" battles would be nice to see before I die Iain. [:)] This real time war gaming is not war gaming to me. It's a ruddy click fest of who has the fastest wrist action and eye cordination.

Tin Soldiers:Caesar was your best effort at tactical battles of Rome just would like a campaign map of it with those types of tactical battles not canned or pre-made but randomly generated like Total Wars real time battles.
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

Just gotten into Histwar Napoleon
Looks good and am enjoying it
Bit different than hex games i know but seems ok at the moment
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

A Rome or ROME II Total War wargame with "tactical" battles would be nice to see before I die Iain. [:)] This real time war gaming is not war gaming to me. It's a ruddy click fest of who has the fastest wrist action and eye cordination.
I know few such turn based games. You could be interested about Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm. Unfortunately all the other comparable games I know of are either fantasy (Heroes of Might & Magic, Age of Wonders) or scifi (X-COM: UFO Defense, Xenonauts, Master of Orion). Still good games, all of them.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

[/quote]
I wont say another word as im inclined to inclined to agree with you much to my annoyance
[/quote]

No, don't shut up. This generated a lot of good replies and kept everyone reading and replying. It was a good comment.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

[/quote]

No, don't shut up. This generated a lot of good replies and kept everyone reading and replying. It was a good comment.
[/quote]

Oh
OK
I still think theres too many fantasy games
Lol

Return to “General Discussion”