Playing CoW scenarios?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

MarechalJoffre

Playing CoW scenarios?

Post by MarechalJoffre »

I can't get it to work by opening it in the editor and then saving, it gives me a "parent unit" error. Is there any way to play those scenarios?
sPzAbt653

RE: Playing CoW scenarios?

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Which scenario is that ?
MarechalJoffre

Post by MarechalJoffre »

A few scenarios that I've downloaded from the Rugged Defense website.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ok, I was going to take a look to see if I could help. Parent Unit errors are nasty and require some work in the editor to get straight, and sometimes they may not be solvable.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Parent unit errors on a COW scenario means that the file was saved using the small memory model. They cannot be directly converted to TOAW III, you will either neeed COW to convert it to a large memery model scenario and then use TOAW II to convert it to TOAW II format or use the TOAW III scenario converter, or visit Gamesquad's TOAW downloads section and look for the Legacy Project file that contains the sceanrio you are interested in.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

or visit Gamesquad's TOAW downloads section and look for the Legacy Project file that contains the sceanrio you are interested in.

Since Gamesquad was redesigned I can't find downloads section anymore. Can you help finding it?

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas

ORIGINAL: shunwick

or visit Gamesquad's TOAW downloads section and look for the Legacy Project file that contains the sceanrio you are interested in.

Since Gamesquad was redesigned I can't find downloads section anymore. Can you help finding it?

Ooops, my bad.

Yes, it looks like the downloads section has been removed or is not yet reinstated after the change.

If you have the TOAW III Scenario Catalogue, there are links in there to the Legacy Project on my Google Drive storage and they still work. I was going to upload the last version of the Scenario Catalogue but the Matrix forum only allows 200kb uploads and the catalogue is nearly 3Mb.

The old links to the catalogue and the supply calculator posted on the Gamesquad forums, unfortunately, no longer work since BT Cloud was itself upgraded and the link format changed.

I shall get a new link to the catalogue and post it here - probably tomorrow because I have to remember how all this works and I don't have either BT Cloud or Google Drive loaded at the moment.

It's great to see you still about. Hope you keeping well.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS. I have just found this from "Upcoming Site Update" circa late November 2015 posted by Dr Zaius... "The "Downloads" function will more than likely be lost. It is unlikely this will be replaced as part of the initial transition, so if there is content in there you need, get it NOW!"

The Legacy Project was set up for precisely this reason - to keep all the old TOAW scenarios from being lost forever. I shall probably migrate the catalogue and supply calculator links to my signature here. All I have to do is try to remember how the Matrix forum works. Oh well...

Ok. This is a link to the Scenario Catalogue on BT Cloud...

TOAW III Scenario Catalogue

It is a zipped Excel file which contains (amongst other things) links to the Legacy Project Volumes. All Legacy Project scenarios have been converted to TOAW III v3.4 standard. All the download links work for me but please let me know if any are broken for you.

I have copies of every TOAW scenario that was housed at Gamesquad. If there is a scenario that anyone is interested in just let me know and I will gladly send it to you.

This is a link to the Supply calculator also on BT Cloud...

Supply Calculator

It is another zipped Excel file and is an helpful utility.
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

Thanks a lot for your feedback and even more for the Legacy project.

Really impressive [&o]

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Parent unit errors on a COW scenario means that the file was saved using the small memory model.
Thanks for the intel, Steve. I never new what the specific cause was, and now I know how to deal with it specifically instead of hunting and pecking. [&o]

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”