OT: Poll on Grand Strategy Pacific War Theater Wargames

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fulcrum28

OT: Poll on Grand Strategy Pacific War Theater Wargames

Post by fulcrum28 »

Poll on Grand Strategy Pacific War Theater Wargames

It seems that the Empire of the Sun (GMT) is leading the poll. [;)]
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Yaab

RE: OT: Poll on Grand Strategy Pacific War Theater Wargames

Post by Yaab »

Wow, this poll is the best evidence of me having mutated into some kind of a supergrognard.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

It asks for favorite board and includes WitP-AE, which it acknowledges as a PC game. Pretty inconsistent I'd say. Besides I've not been exposed to all game choices so taking the survey is kinda useless. How can I judge a game I haven't seen or played. Reason I usually avoid surveys. Without proper controls and questions they're meaningless. But whatever...
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Yeah, I did the survey too but the question about reasons for not finishing the games did not include an answer about the difficulty of keeping cardboard counters on the proper place on the board when you have little kids in the house or need to free up the dining room table of something else, like dining.
The quiz seemed to mix computer war games and board war games into the same pot and they are much different in what makes them fun or difficult.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Lack of space is why I stopped doing board games decades ago. Luckily, SSI, SSG and Micropose popped up at about that time.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
rsallen64

Post by rsallen64 »

I used to set up my boardgames on a big sheet of plywood in the basement. Then, my sister got a cat. The cat seemed to enjoy sleeping on top of the pieces or at the very least scattering them around. I eventually bought that cat repellant spray you use on your garden to keep cats out of your plants and sprayed it all over the stairs, thinking this would work, only to watch the damn cat descend, choking and sneezing, all the way to the bottom. [:'(] That's when I gave up the boardgames. I was glad when I bought my first computer several years later, in 1992.
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

We've been training young cats lately. Among the training tools I've gotten some motion activated sprayers and some shock mats. I also have some screechers that are activated by vibration.

One of the cats wants to get along so she doesn't tend to get in trouble. The others name is Squirrel and she lives up to her name. While I was writing this she got up on the back of a chair and was playing with the pull chains on a floor lamp.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Heh, I get the feeling the WITPAE demographic has skewed the results of that poll...
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Lack of space is why I stopped doing board games decades ago. Luckily, SSI, SSG and Micropose popped up at about that time.

Cheers,
CC

And now when you have WITP:AE, you stop playing the game due to lack of time.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

We've been training young cats lately. Among the training tools I've gotten some motion activated sprayers and some shock mats. I also have some screechers that are activated by vibration.

One of the cats wants to get along so she doesn't tend to get in trouble. The others name is Squirrel and she lives up to her name. While I was writing this she got up on the back of a chair and was playing with the pull chains on a floor lamp.

Bill

Bill--How does the work out when Squirrel is out and about? I bet not well...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Heh, I get the feeling the WITPAE demographic has skewed the results of that poll...

Thing is, WITP-AE is the perfect Pacific Theater boardgame. It works very much like all the great boardgames we played in the pre-computer game era. Who remembers SPI's USN? A massive depiction of the Pacific Theater whose maps required a whole room for setup... AE gives us all that without the hours upon hours of setup time and no worry about Typhoon Fluffy wiping out months of work.

AE's place in that poll makes complete sense to me.
fair winds,
Brad
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Thing is, WITP-AE is the perfect Pacific Theater boardgame. It works very much like all the great boardgames we played in the pre-computer game era. Who remembers SPI's USN? A massive depiction of the Pacific Theater whose maps required a whole room for setup... AE gives us all that without the hours upon hours of setup time and no worry about Typhoon Fluffy wiping out months of work.

AE's place in that poll makes complete sense to me.
+1
I had USN and never got the time/space/freedom from chaos to play it. [:(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
DConn

Post by DConn »

You may be confusing USN with War in the Pacific. The former was an S&T magazine game (which was actually pretty good); the latter a many-map monster covering the whole war in weekly turns (at least if I remember correctly). A friend and I played the first year+ of the war in WITP may moons ago, using a revised air search system and some house rules; I remember it fondly. When we stopped, we wrote down all the unit positions in case we ever got a chance to continue; that was about 35 years ago!
--Dave Conn
Currently defending the free world against montesaurus, DBB-B, Scen. 28
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Conn

You may be confusing USN with War in the Pacific. The former was an S&T magazine game (which was actually pretty good); the latter a many-map monster covering the whole war in weekly turns (at least if I remember correctly). A friend and I played the first year+ of the war in WITP may moons ago, using a revised air search system and some house rules; I remember it fondly. When we stopped, we wrote down all the unit positions in case we ever got a chance to continue; that was about 35 years ago!
Magazine game? NOT! Here is a link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8727/usn
DConn

Post by DConn »

Sorry to disagree; but the picture in the post you linked is the cover of the S&T magazine that the game came with!
--Dave Conn
Currently defending the free world against montesaurus, DBB-B, Scen. 28
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Conn

Sorry to disagree; but the picture in the post you linked is the cover of the S&T magazine that the game came with!
Sorry BBFanboy. I have all the original S&T magazines and it is indeed #29. USN may have been sold later as a boxed game.
The rules were horribly vague. An good example of SPI trying to cram too much into a magazine game.

USN should be thought of as Jim Dunnigan's 1st try at the Pacific War, much like Gary Grigsby's east front games before WitE.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill
Let me know how it works out. I'm almost ready for a new generation of felines.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Wow, this poll is the best evidence of me having mutated into some kind of a supergrognard.
Have you been to http://grognard.com/ ?
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I am guessing that Conn is probably right about the title. It has been nearly 40 years since I helped a friend set it up over a weekend (he owned the game - I, a poor college student, could not afford that one). The Wiki entry on SPI mentions War in the Pacific as one of their monster games along with Terrible Swift Sword and their north Afrikan game.
fair winds,
Brad
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I have the board game WitP, pretty much in mint condition. I never played it, though I did open it, read some of the rules, punch out a couple of units - all in anticipation of playing solo eventually - but then computers arrived on the scene (for me in 1997). I have several dozen good Avalon Hill board games

I also have Terrible Swift Sword. I did set that one up four or five times, over the years, for solo play. In the summer of 1985, I took an internship with Georgia Kraft Timber Company. I rented a little mill house in Union Point, Georgia. I had no air conditioning, no television, no telephone. I read books, listed to Atlanta Braves games on the radio, and played TSS on a table in the kitchen under a naked bulb light. On weekends, when I stayed in Union Point, I would drive into the country to collect butterflies or bird watch. It was a Spartan, basic lifestyle...but it was worth it. I had a lovely Georgia Peach girlfriend 25 miles up the country highway.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”