A few questions

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Freyr Oakenshield

A few questions

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Hi,

1. How big is the playerbase for this game? I mean for the comp version. Is it just this forum or are there any other wargaming clubs (e.g. Blitz)? Is it like 10 people, or more like 1000 people? :-)
2. In my other post (tm.asp?m=4230231), Centuur mentioned that this is "work in progress". Does this mean the game is still supported and developed?

Thanks
davidachamberlain

RE: A few questions

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Hi,

1. How big is the playerbase for this game? I mean for the comp version. Is it just this forum or are there any other wargaming clubs (e.g. Blitz)? Is it like 10 people, or more like 1000 people? :-)
2. In my other post (tm.asp?m=4230231), Centuur mentioned that this is "work in progress". Does this mean the game is still supported and developed?

Thanks
I can not tell you sales (install) base, but Matrix can. It is definately more than the forum.

The game is being supported. It was released in 2013 and has been going through maintenance since that time with a greater burst of effort in the last couple months to get to a new version (version 3) with version 2 from about a year ago.

There is a roadmap, which you can see in the forum with the future plans as of 2015, which should be able to start moving forward after the version 3 gets released. However since the roadmap is 18 months old, priorities have probably changed.

The common view is that the original verson sold (version 1) was really not ready for Production, but has improved a lot to get to version 2 and most of the known problems have been resolved with those remaining being identified and getting resolution in the coming weeks (hopefully).

Steve might have more to add about the number of users.

Dave
Freyr Oakenshield

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

Hi,

Thanks
I can not tell you sales (install) base, but Matrix can. It is definately more than the forum.

The game is being supported. It was released in 2013 and has been going through maintenance since that time with a greater burst of effort in the last couple months to get to a new version (version 3) with version 2 from about a year ago.

There is a roadmap, which you can see in the forum with the future plans as of 2015, which should be able to start moving forward after the version 3 gets released. However since the roadmap is 18 months old, priorities have probably changed.

The common view is that the original verson sold (version 1) was really not ready for Production, but has improved a lot to get to version 2 and most of the known problems have been resolved with those remaining being identified and getting resolution in the coming weeks (hopefully).

Steve might have more to add about the number of users.

Dave

That's fair enough. Thanks. I don't really expect Matrix to tell me how many copies they've sold [:)]

Do you know of any online Wargaming Clubs where people play it? I didn't notice WiF in the Blitz Wargaming Club, for instance...
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

Do you know of any online Wargaming Clubs where people play it?

We play it here. Come to the dark side...
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
Freyr Oakenshield

OK. Just one extra noob question: MWIF - World In Flames, but what does "M" stand for?
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

OK. Just one extra noob question: MWIF - World In Flames, but what does "M" stand for?
Matrix's version.

I needed to differentiate this incarnation of the game from the board game World in Flames Final Edition, with numerous other versions - some of which were after the "Final Edition". In fact they are still generating updates to the board game's rule book. There was also CWIF, where the C stood for Computerized. I have reinterpreted the C to stand for Chris, who was the programmer who wrote the code for that version (1996 - 2003). I inherited his code and began working on MWIF full time in 2004; my 13th anniversary will be in May 2017.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Majorball68

Post by Majorball68 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Matrix's version.

I needed to differentiate this incarnation of the game from the board game World in Flames Final Edition, with numerous other versions - some of which were after the "Final Edition". In fact they are still generating updates to the board game's rule book. There was also CWIF, where the C stood for Computerized. I have reinterpreted the C to stand for Chris, who was the programmer who wrote the code for that version (1996 - 2003). I inherited his code and began working on MWIF full time in 2004; my 13th anniversary will be in May 2017.

And we are forever grateful you did inherit the code!!

Return to “World in Flames”