Extreme newbie question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

stolypin

Extreme newbie question

Post by stolypin »

I'm playing one of the shorter / introductory scenarios and I am finding that after the AI moves and a new turns begins, one of my HQ units has moved far to the rear of where it was when I ended my previous turn. I assume that is because the AI moved a unit next to it at some point during the AI turn. (I am using FOW).

Can I avoid this by having the HQ stack with a combat unit?
Telemecus

RE: Extreme newbie question

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: stolypin

I'm playing one of the shorter / introductory scenarios and I am finding that after the AI moves and a new turns begins, one of my HQ units has moved far to the rear of where it was when I ended my previous turn. I assume that is because the AI moved a unit next to it at some point during the AI turn. (I am using FOW).

Can I avoid this by having the HQ stack with a combat unit?

Yes.

Same also happens to airbases or other units with no ground combat value. Casualties will have been inflicted as a result. So long as a combat unit does not move by a combat defeat, stacking on it will prevent others being moved this way.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
flatsix518

Post by flatsix518 »

If you leave a HQs (alone) adjacent to even an enemy hex it can be automatically relocated, even if an enemy unit does not move next to it. It will be highlighted in RED if it is at risk of this. And, if an enemy unit moves next to it, it will be auto-relocated.

Yes, stacking with a combat unit will prevent this.

stolypin

Post by stolypin »

Thanks for the quick replies.
RoflCopter4

Post by RoflCopter4 »

Please note also that when this happens all of the supply dumps in that HQ are lost, with some actually stolen by the perfidious enemy for his own use. This is pretty devastating for Germany in the first few turns because your supply will not catch up for a little while at least and those dumps really do help. Do everything you can do avoid this happening.

Also notable is that any unit that ends a turn on the front (ie in contact with the enemy) will suffer attrition, and because HQ units are relatively large in manpower the attrition they suffer can be rather high and annoying too. Usually best to keep them behind the front slightly. But of course this is not always possible because of the possibility of them being bumped into and suffering the forced relocation with even higher casualties than attrition and also the loss of dumps as mentioned above. Pick your poison basically.
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

ORIGINAL: RoflCopter4

Please note also that when this happens all of the supply dumps in that HQ are lost, with some actually stolen by the perfidious enemy for his own use. This is pretty devastating for Germany in the first few turns because your supply will not catch up for a little while at least and those dumps really do help. Do everything you can do avoid this happening.

Also notable is that any unit that ends a turn on the front (ie in contact with the enemy) will suffer attrition, and because HQ units are relatively large in manpower the attrition they suffer can be rather high and annoying too. Usually best to keep them behind the front slightly. But of course this is not always possible because of the possibility of them being bumped into and suffering the forced relocation with even higher casualties than attrition and also the loss of dumps as mentioned above. Pick your poison basically.

Great info, thanks.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”