Modified soft factor colors, size markings, and zoomed out counters

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

RoflCopter4

Modified soft factor colors, size markings, and zoomed out counters

Post by RoflCopter4 »

I've made a lot of little fiddly modifications to the counter sheets in this game as I've been playing it. I really did not like the unit size markings (the XX for division, XXX for corps etc) in particular. They are very blurry and my OCD and I couldn't stand looking at them. So I made them much bolder and clearer. Meanwhile, I found it somewhat difficult to tell the different soft factor colours apart. The yellow, orange, and red in particular are quite similar, as are the two greens. So I changed them a bit. The bright green is now much brighter than the dark green, which is itself a tad brighter to help distinguish it as being green. The yellow is also much brighter and clearer, and the orange-brown color is now very decidedly and clearly orange, and therefore distinct from the yellow and the now darker red. I find them much better this way.

I took some screenshots to try to show the difference. The changes to the soft factors are a bit subtle but hopefully visible. The ones to the XX markings though are definitely clear.

http://imgur.com/a/5fu2Z

I also changed the way the counters look at the max possible zoom out level. Originally they were very muted and difficult to see. In order to make them not only clearly visible, but also have the countries be very distinct, and furthermore to make it as easy as possible to see how many units are stacked in a hex, I had to change the coloring scheme completely. Further still, I changed the way the counters are bordered when supply and status bordering is enabled. By default the circles did not line up with the counters at all and were hideous. I changed that, and also changed the colouring of these too to make them clearer. I like the result but as it might take a bit of getting used to I'll upload this separately. Here are some screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/4ER6C

Basically the Germans are white, the Romanians light blue, the Hungarians still green, the Italians still yellow, the Fins dark blue, the Slovaks brown, regular Soviet units are bright red, and guards units are a darker red with a yellow strip through it. Units in refit are bordered with cyan, and units in reserve with green. Supply is still yellow and red, and static is still white. I hope the screenshots make this all clear. Incidentally, the bordering is actually more noticeable and clear in the real game than in these slightly dodgy screenshots.

To be honest I have no idea if anyone will be interested in this little mod of mine. As with my fiddling with the unit icons that popup, I made these changes for my own use. I just figured that there may be a chance someone else had the same gripes that I did, and that I might be able to save them a lot of time and headache by uploading this.

Here is the link for the first mod:
https://www.mediafire.com/?h9jsrp848zrh18p

And here for the second:
https://www.mediafire.com/?cc0m9ysaroyh532

Install either with JSGME or by just copying the Dat folder inside the zipped files into your game root folder. Be sure to back up the appropriate files if you do it the second way (JSGME does it for you, it's a fantastic tool). Let me know what you think.
rlp2

RE: Modified soft factor colors, size markings, and zoomed out counters

Post by rlp2 »

Thanks for the modified counters RoflCopter4
They look great
Bob
WitE - Beta Tester
Lost Battles - Beta Tester
WitW - Beta Tester
Operation Torch - Beta Tester
WitE2 - Beta Tester
ADMIRAL3