Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b updated 17 Sept 2016

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1117 updated 22 September 2012

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Wikingus

I'd like to play the game for the first time in about 5 years, and much has changed (including my computer). I can't get the 'normal' version of the game to run smoothly - I have all the issues commonly reported with lag and delays, and none of the command lines have solved them.

The beta version works fine, but I get an error message if I try to change from -w to -f in the command line, or if I want to switch to my resolution (1920x1080). Any ideas?

Have you tried -Deepcolor?
Wikingus

Post by Wikingus »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

ORIGINAL: Wikingus

I'd like to play the game for the first time in about 5 years, and much has changed (including my computer). I can't get the 'normal' version of the game to run smoothly - I have all the issues commonly reported with lag and delays, and none of the command lines have solved them.

The beta version works fine, but I get an error message if I try to change from -w to -f in the command line, or if I want to switch to my resolution (1920x1080). Any ideas?

Have you tried -Deepcolor?

I have, in the stock game it made no difference on the lag, in the beta patch it still stays windowed/won't start as soon as I include -f.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I'm guessing you have win10. I don't so I can't help from experience. But, in this forum their are some threads with win10 issues and the solutions. See if they help....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Wikingus

Post by Wikingus »

If it helps, the error message (when I include -f) states: Error: Can't set screen mode.
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

Assuming your monitor and video card are capable of 1920X1080; appears to be a command line problem; please copy your shortcut properties command line, so we can see what exactly you have done.
As an example: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 -deepColor -dd_sw

I am running WIN10 with no problem
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Wikingus

Post by Wikingus »

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Assuming your monitor and video card are capable of 1920X1080; appears to be a command line problem; please copy your shortcut properties command line, so we can see what exactly you have done.
As an example: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 -deepColor -dd_sw

I am running WIN10 with no problem

It should work fine, my specs:

Windows 10 (64-bit)
16 GB RAM
GTX 960M

Here's what happens with the various permutations of the command line, with the end results. I'm typing them as I try them out:

1. "D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 -deepColor (game works but is even slower than the non-beta version; the screen doesn't fit properly and the mini map disappears)

2. "D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 (Error: can't set screen mode)

3. "D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f (Error: can't set screen mode)

4. "D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 -f (Error: can't set screen mode)

5. "D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" (Error: can't set screen mode)

6. "D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -dd_sw (game WORKS! It's not widescreen and it's fairly low-res, and programmes that I have running in the background sort of pop into the game/flicker over it every few seconds, but it works!!!) [&o]
Theages

Post by Theages »

The last posts really should be in a separate thread.

Try setting the compatibility options of the shortcut (tab: compatibility) to not use high DPI scaling. Windows 10 scales programs on systems with small size but high resolution displays.
eg: my 32" 3840x2180 has a scaling of 150% which some some programs interpret as its resolution being 2540x1440. Right-click on desktop and choose 2nd option from the bottom (something like "display settings" (in german: Anzeigeeinstellungen) to view this.

Even if your display has a native resolution of 1920x1080 maybe due to scaling WitPAE is recognizing it as something lower and refuses to set it outside the displays capabilities.

Please open a new thread if that doesn't solve the issue.
Wikingus

Post by Wikingus »

ORIGINAL: Theages

The last posts really should be in a separate thread.

Try setting the compatibility options of the shortcut (tab: compatibility) to not use high DPI scaling. Windows 10 scales programs on systems with small size but high resolution displays.
eg: my 32" 3840x2180 has a scaling of 150% which some some programs interpret as its resolution being 2540x1440. Right-click on desktop and choose 2nd option from the bottom (something like "display settings" (in german: Anzeigeeinstellungen) to view this.

Even if your display has a native resolution of 1920x1080 maybe due to scaling WitPAE is recognizing it as something lower and refuses to set it outside the displays capabilities.

Please open a new thread if that doesn't solve the issue.

Unfortunately didn't work, but thanks for the advice. Also, point taken, if I have further issues I'll open a new thread.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Sorry Guys, I will have drop out for awhile due to other commitments.
Michael
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Michael,

Thanks for all the support. Happy New Year!
Pax
Buck Beach

RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b updated 17 Sept 2016

Post by Buck Beach »

[quote]It will create a directory Beta2 off the main AE install directory, install the updated EXE and DLL, and create a shortcut on desktop to run AE from that new directory.
/quote]

Beta 2 directory now created, but next step (highlighted above) confusing. Will somebody take me by my dumb hand and tell me step by step from here? I'm sure over the years I have done this more than once but as time goes by everything fades. Probably should hang this game up.

I found the solution to my problems. See my thread "Error: Unable to find PW Data" below.
panzer cat

Post by panzer cat »

I'm having a problem downloading the patch. Norton keeps flagging it.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Yes Norton does that. Turn it off for the download. Then turn it back on when you're done with the download....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Kull

Post by Kull »

Michael - I ran a search of the Admiral's Edition Forums, but didn't see anything specific to this next question. Is the AE executable "Large Address Aware"? (i.e. so it can access up to 4 GB of RAM on 64 bit OS systems) This came up as an issue with a different game that I'm involved in, but unfortunately it requires an alteration to the executable, and the game publisher is not interested in discussions with fans or mod teams. Luckily AE and Matrix are the polar opposite in that regard, and since you do periodically release beta updates to the exe it would be a great change to make, assuming it would in fact help the game run smoother. Thanks.
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

The Visual Studio "dumpbin.exe" tool says WITPAE is not large address aware (LAA) - tested beta v1.7.11.159, but I doubt it is different for any other version.

For an executable to be LAA two requirements need to be met:

1. A certain bit in the executable needs to be set to tell Windows that the executable is LAA. This can easily be set during compiling (by Michael) or actually edited by anyone afterwards (see e.g. https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/). This is the easy part.
2. The program and all third party libraries it accesses need to use full 32 bit pointers and not only 31 bit with assuming the first bit is 0 when accessing the memory (some programs temporarily use this bit to store other information). This is tough to ensure since it basically requires a full code review, but most late 32-bit era codes seem to adhere to this.

If you want, you can use the tool in the above link to set the LAA bit in the executable. This will get the same result Michael can get without putting in a crazy amount of work. According to forums, people have made good experiences with it (it definitely worked for me the two times I tried it). In the best case you have working LAA version of AE afterwards, in the worst case (if 2. is not ensured) you get game crashes and then even Michael won't be able to do it within a reasonable amount of work.

In any case making a program LAA has only advantages if the game used to crash after hitting 2GB of used memory (I've never seen this in AE) or if it used to slow down due to memory restrictions, but this would require a self-imposed sophisticated memory management - I highly doubt AE has. So you can set the LAA bit yourself, but I wouldn't expect much from it. You might try if the linked tool helps with your other game of course.
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Rafid

The Visual Studio "dumpbin.exe" tool says WITPAE is not large address aware (LAA) - tested beta v1.7.11.159, but I doubt it is different for any other version.

For an executable to be LAA two requirements need to be met:

1. A certain bit in the executable needs to be set to tell Windows that the executable is LAA. This can easily be set during compiling (by Michael) or actually edited by anyone afterwards (see e.g. https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/). This is the easy part.
2. The program and all third party libraries it accesses need to use full 32 bit pointers and not only 31 bit with assuming the first bit is 0 when accessing the memory (some programs temporarily use this bit to store other information). This is tough to ensure since it basically requires a full code review, but most late 32-bit era codes seem to adhere to this.

If you want, you can use the tool in the above link to set the LAA bit in the executable. This will get the same result Michael can get without putting in a crazy amount of work. According to forums, people have made good experiences with it (it definitely worked for me the two times I tried it). In the best case you have working LAA version of AE afterwards, in the worst case (if 2. is not ensured) you get game crashes and then even Michael won't be able to do it within a reasonable amount of work.

In any case making a program LAA has only advantages if the game used to crash after hitting 2GB of used memory (I've never seen this in AE) or if it used to slow down due to memory restrictions, but this would require a self-imposed sophisticated memory management - I highly doubt AE has. So you can set the LAA bit yourself, but I wouldn't expect much from it. You might try if the linked tool helps with your other game of course.
Hi Rafid, thanks for the great reply! Interesting to know that AE is not LAA. I definitely do not get the random crashes in AE that are typical of RAM overload, so I suspected either LAA was enabled or the game didn't require the extra RAM - at least in most cases. The one area where it might make a difference is when extra graphics appear on the map. Try scrolling the map when search zone visibility is enabled compared to when it's not, and you'll see a huge difference in speed. Not sure if LAA would help with that, although as you note, it's easy enough to test. The other area where LAA helps is if the code has memory leaks - opening and closing windows can be an issue in that regard (at least when poorly coded), so perhaps in really long sessions it might factor in.

Primarily I was just curious to see if it was present in AE as LAA has solved almost all the CTD's my other mod team used to experience. Incredibly frustrating for us that we cannot recommend LAA utilities because of the publisher's unwillingness to even discuss it (and the game forums we use take a scorched earth approach to anything that might remotely be considered advocacy of a EULA violation)
Chris21wen

RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b updated 17 Sept 2016

Post by Chris21wen »

Is it possible to add the word 'Docked' to the TF pop up when it is. E.g. It says TF### Docked.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Michael-

I am impressed and very grateful for your continued support and commitment to excellence.

We, Sir, are in your debt!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Anyone help? I can't get patch 7 to work. I'm patched up to 26a (from the members area). I download patch 7 from the beginning of this thread and when I then unzip and double-click on it it simply vanishes. If I then unzip again and right click run as admin I get the following message 'windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the approproiate permissions to access the item.'

I'm on win 10.

Any help appreciated. Patch 7 (the patch found at the head of this thread in the OP) is the most up to date patch, right?

Cheers.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Check your AV and/or AMW software. I had the same problem and had to disable malwarebytes temporarily to get it to work.

Return to “Tech Support”