New Scenario for Testing: WW3GER 0.5 Black Horse Riders

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

B52H

New Scenario for Testing: WW3GER 0.5 Black Horse Riders

Post by B52H »

[&o]I've decided to give another campaign a try, this time being set in 1987. This scenario is technically a prelude to the overall campaign of WW3GER, which should be somewhere well over 60 scenarios in size. This scenario has been published to both the Steam Workshop and the game forums, so enjoy! Here's the scenario description:

WW3GER 0.5 Black Horse Riders

20 May 1987 0900Z

This is the first scenario of a nearly 60 scenario campaign based on a hypothetical conflict between NATO and the Warsaw Pact in Central Europe. Key points:

On May 18, 1987, the US Navy Knox-class frigate Paul and a Soviet Krivak-class frigate collided in the Persian Gulf, rupturing one of the Krivak-class's missile tubes and causing a massive explosion, sinking the Soviet ship and killing 18 crew on the Paul.
On May 19, 1987, elements of the 39th Guards Motor Rifle Division left their barracks and presumably deployed to the Inter-German Border near Fulda. Later that day, various Warsaw Pact barracks in East Germany and Czechoslovakia were found empty in reconnaissance images.
On May 20, 1987, heat-sensing satellites detected abnormal readings on the East German side of the North German Plain and the Fulda Gap. The world holds its breath as Europe is about to plunge into a third conflict this century.
You are the commander of the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, based on the outskirts of Fulda, West Germany. It is now early morning on May 20, 1987. The first and second Cavalry squadrons of the 11th ACR have deployed to their forward positions at around midnight today. Your task is to prevent Fulda from being taken within the next 5 hours.

------------------------------

Author's Notes:

This the first scenario of the WW3GER campaign, which will be followed by various other campaigns in the Caribbean, Korea, Pacific, South China Sea, the North Atlantic, the Baltic, Yugoslavia, Greece, the Persian Gulf, Libya, Syria, and the Falklands.
The 3rd Cavalry Squadron of the 11th ACR is not featured in this scenario as it will be featured in a future scenario about the fall of Bad Hersfeld.
You have full control over the 11th ACR's aviation component and the 1st and 2nd Cavalry Squadrons, along with a variety of attack and fighter aircraft that will be assigned to your command to employ against the Soviet advance. A Hawk battery has also been asigned to your command for air defence.
As ground combat is not yet modeled in CMANO, the majority of your losses will come from Warsaw Pact attack and heliborne units.
The foggy weather in this scenario will lift within the hour in which the scenario starts, but the fog will provide an excellent cover for Spetsnaz infiltrators to enter.
Good luck and happy hunting (or being hunted!)!
Scenario created by B52H

Enjoy!

Changelog: V1.1: Added munitions to bases (on both sides), set WP strike missions to one time only, and added helicopter drop points.
Attachments
WW3GER Bla.. Rideres.zip
(374.39 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
lamboman43

RE: New Scenario for Testing: WW3GER 0.5 Black Horse Riders

Post by lamboman43 »

Before downloading it here I checked on the workshop (I'm lazy and it's quicker for me to get it on the workshop) and I can't find it there. I tried searching by name and using the "most recent" option. The most recent I see is "A Modern Suez Crisis." It's not really a big deal but figured you might want to know.
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

One idea to simulate ground combat in Command is to assign your ground units to a patrol of surface units. The ground units will enter the patrol zone (which can be large) and engage any enemy ground units that come within range. Admittedly, it is a very rough simulation of ground combat, but I have encountered it in an invasion of South Korea scenario and it worked reasonably well in that scenario.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Interesting game. Enjoying it.

Couple quick points:

You should probably enable Quick Turn around doctrine, the AH and A-10's were designed for just this sort of battle
You might want to add ammo to the bases first though.

Nice concept.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
B52H

Post by B52H »

ORIGINAL: lamboman43

Before downloading it here I checked on the workshop (I'm lazy and it's quicker for me to get it on the workshop) and I can't find it there. I tried searching by name and using the "most recent" option. The most recent I see is "A Modern Suez Crisis." It's not really a big deal but figured you might want to know.

I'll try again later today if time allows as I'll be heading to a Super Bowl party.

ORIGINAL: JPFisher55

One idea to simulate ground combat in Command is to assign your ground units to a patrol of surface units. The ground units will enter the patrol zone (which can be large) and engage any enemy ground units that come within range. Admittedly, it is a very rough simulation of ground combat, but I have encountered it in an invasion of South Korea scenario and it worked reasonably well in that scenario.

Thanks JPFisher55! I'm trying to simulate a massive armored assault in this scenario with many units in fixed positions, but I will take that in mind when making scenarios set on the North German Plain.

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Interesting game. Enjoying it.

Couple quick points:

You should probably enable Quick Turn around doctrine, the AH and A-10's were designed for just this sort of battle
You might want to add ammo to the bases first though.

Nice concept.

B

Thanks Gunner! I really enjoy your scenarios and I was partly inspired to make a "campaign" because of your Northern Fury campaign, but I probably won't be as consistent and will release scenarios set in different theaters in random order. I'll take those into consideration for the next update which I'll release later this week along with possibly a few more scenarios.

B52H

Post by B52H »

Also, how many missiles and bombs should I put in each base? I'm working on a Caribbean scenario right now and am wondering how many munitions I should place to supply 4 TFS's (2 x F-16A, 1 x F-4D, 1 x F-4E)? Also, would ANG or AFRES bases have munitions available?
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

So far, I like this scenario. However, I cannot find the drop points for the helicopter supply missions.
B52H

Post by B52H »

So far, I like this scenario. However, I cannot find the drop points for the helicopter supply missions.

Oops, they didn't save on my upload file. I just added them and have updated the file to version 1.1.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

how many missiles and bombs should I put in each base

No hard and fast rule and depends on what your trying to achieve with the scenario:

-Is the base a permanent location or a FOB?
-Are you limiting the player's options deliberately?
-Are you simulating some sort of real life restriction?
-Remember day/night restrictions
Generally I give lots of dumb bombs as most PGMs are kits that are strapped onto them anyway and dumb bombs are rarely used except when everything else is gone.
If your emphasizing weather and cloud base, make sure there are LGBs to chose from, they're more difficult to use but have good effect if the player can
Unless you have a reason you should stick to the latest or perhaps the two latest versions of a bomb type
Give a mix of guidance options - or not
Give a mix of penetration options (CBU, surface or penetrator) - or not

For bombs, enough for 2-3 sorties per day/AC should be plenty (not counting dumb bombs), 2 if limited, 6 if surge
For A2A, 4-5 sorties per day/AC is lots

Adjust after testing.

Ammo availability is a great tool for balancing the scenario so experimentation is required.

B
lamboman43

Post by lamboman43 »

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

If your emphasizing weather and cloud base, make sure there are LGBs to chose from, they're more difficult to use but have good effect if the player can

Haha Of course Gunner gives advice on how to make things a bit harder ;)
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Haha Of course Gunner gives advice on how to make things a bit harder ;)

Who? Me? [:D]
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

I'm about 90 minutes into this one.

The terrible weather is certainly an interesting -- though very frustrating -- aspect.

Love the setting.
B52H

Post by B52H »

Anything else on this one?
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

It's great; but I can't hit anything with ordnance other than missiles.

Really enjoying it despite that fact, and will likely play the hell out of it when the next RC is out.
B52H

Post by B52H »

The weather should have an impact on ordnance.

For the next scenario, would you all rather have the setting be in Germany or another theater such as the South China Sea, Austria, or Hawaii?
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

I would really like to see something in the SCS or Korean peninsula
Excroat3

Post by Excroat3 »

ORIGINAL: apache85

I would really like to see something in the SCS or Korean peninsula
Seconded.
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

Germany and bigger than the first one with better weather.
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

Germany and bigger than the first one with better weather.

Seconded.
B52H

Post by B52H »

Anything else with this one?

I've been in the process of making large-scale Germany scenarios for the past few weeks, but each scenario depicting each front will need to be broken up into 4 separate scenarios (CENTAG, for example, will have a scenario about Koblenz (5th Panzer Division and the 2nd Panzergrenadier Division), the Fulda Gap (remnants of 11th ACR, 3rd Armored, and 8th Mechanized), Coburg (12th Panzer Division), and the Czech border (2nd ACR, 1st Armored, 3rd Infantry). I've also been working on a few scenarios such as a Pakistani strike on Soviet/Afghan air bases, an Egyptian strike on Eastern Libyan targets, and an airborne assault by the 25th ID against North Korea.

Also, can someone post what their loses/expenditures were on this scenario?

B52H

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”