Installing multiple versions of WITE

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

wga8888

Installing multiple versions of WITE

Post by wga8888 »

Two of my opponents and myself updated to version 1.09 midgame. My oldest opponent wants to stick with 1.08.09;I find save files generated with 1.09 no longer open on version (1.08.10. So I need to install a second version of WITE from disk & updates without impacting the 1.09 version. Other than renaming the original folder, exe, shortscuts to say WITE-109, is there any other challenges to doing this successfully?
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Denniss

RE: Installing multiple versions of WITE

Post by Denniss »

If possible keep the current installation (so you may keep it updated) and install the version intended to be 1.08.09 on another computer or Virtual Machine and copy this version back to your computer.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

I was always under the impression that you were licenced for only one copy on your computer
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Multiple installations on the same computer are permitted, AFAIR even on more computers if they belong to you only and are not accessible to others.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

Problem remains. I copied my WITE (1.08.10) folder from my Windows XP computer (where WTIE always 'unexpectedly quits' within 10 minutes run time) a posted it at WITE-10810 in my Windows 10 computer which has a WITE folder of 1.09. Now the desktop shortcut is a blank white icon. Double clicking the .exe in either the 1.08.10 or 1.09 folder results in a fatal error message; [there is an error with your game's serial number as currently configured. Please contact www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk for support].

Oddly clicking on the blank desktop shortcut launches 1.09 (the original version on this computer).

Seems my opponent that uses 1.08.10 will either have to update to 1.09 to continue our game (and suspend any games with opponents using 1.08.10 if any) or suspend our game.

Many months earlier I gave up trying to resolve why WITE alwasy crashes on my XP desktop, a machine with approximately 75+ applicatios which only WITE unexpectedly quits. Help from Tech support did not lead to an answer. My travel XP laptop runs WITE without an issue (now also running 1.09). Actually there is an issue is that vertical resolution of only 800 crops the bottom part of the game screen. I cannot scroll down to see it (its a Macintosh, running a SP windows partition but limited to Macintosh constraints). Had the same and worse problem with a Windows 7 laptop with maximum vertical resolution of 720, bottom of screen was cropped and could not be scrolled to; needed an external monitor to change HQ color or pick new plane type.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]

Return to “Tech Support”