Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situations?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

OxfordGuy3

Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situations?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - other than price (and attacking AT units), I was wondering if there are any situations where Mech Infantry performs better than tanks? In CEAW-GS, for example, Mech Inf was better to use than tanks when attacking (or defending) cities, fortresses and most kinds of non-clear terrain, as tanks got higher penalties, but I've not noticed tanks in SC3 performing any worse than Mech Infantry when attacking cities etc.

More generally, other than river penalties and differences to retreat chance and possible levels of entrenchent, I don't think it's clear from the manual what effects terrain has on combat results, unless I've missed something?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Flaviusx

RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situations?

Post by Flaviusx »

Anecdotally, they seem better to me at attacking units in cities. I actually prefer them to tanks and wish the OB allowed you to build more of them.

When attacking the Soviet Union, I make it a point in 1941 to group all the Axis mech in AGN, fully upgraded, and prioritize Leningrad. 3 mech backed by the Luftwaffe will roll over pretty much anything.
WitE Alpha Tester
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Anecdotally, they seem better to me at attacking units in cities. I actually prefer them to tanks and wish the OB allowed you to build more of them.

When attacking the Soviet Union, I make it a point in 1941 to group all the Axis mech in AGN, fully upgraded, and prioritize Leningrad. 3 mech backed by the Luftwaffe will roll over pretty much anything.

I wish things like this were less opaque, it's still guesswork
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
The Land

Post by The Land »

If I understand it correctly, Mech use "Hard" attack rather than "Tank" attack. Units, and resources, have different Hard and TAnk defence and attack values that you can view in teh editor. Studying these will give you the answer, probably
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

From my general experience mech units attack cities much more efficient than tanks. But i may be wrong, though.
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

From my general experience mech units attack cities much more efficient than tanks. But i may be wrong, though.

I agree with you on that one Xwormwood, and if you think about how Bill and Hubert put this together they took all that into consideration, tanks on the whole were too constricted with houses on both sides of them, molotov cocktails and other anti-tank weapons rained down on them.

Of course there is the die roll which could change things [:(] but other than that I believe that Mech's are better in cities because a Mech unit is mainly infantry in half-tracks they would have been a little more manuverable, I personally like the Mech's in more open terrain because of their speed but that is just me. Trully the best is plain infantry.

Bo
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: bo
ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

I agree with you on that one Xwormwood, and if you think about how Bill and Hubert put this together they took all that into consideration, tanks on the whole were too constricted with houses on both sides of them, molotov cocktails and other anti-tank weapons rained down on them.

Of course there is the die roll which could change things [:(] but other than that I believe that Mech's are better in cities because a Mech unit is mainly infantry in half-tracks they would have been a little more manuverable, I personally like the Mech's in more open terrain because of their speed but that is just me. Trully the best is plain infantry.

Well they certainly ought to attack and defend better than tanks in cities, but I was just wondering if this was actually the case?
Szilard

Post by Szilard »

If you look at the "Target Data" section in the editor, you'll see they have a target type of "Light Tank". Which is consistent with my observations of how crap they are on the defence. I guess they're not supposed to be heavy armored infantry, like I would have thought.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Szilard

If you look at the "Target Data" section in the editor, you'll see they have a target type of "Light Tank". Which is consistent with my observations of how crap they are on the defence. I guess they're not supposed to be heavy armored infantry, like I would have thought.

Well that's a bit odd

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”