Horse transport & Fuel

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

terminator

Horse transport & Fuel

Post by terminator »

Hi,
Why the Horse transport needs fuel to move ?
The Cavalry does not need fuel to move.
In Operation Barbarossa The Struggle for Russia, cavalry and horse transport need fuel to move.
In Panzer Corps, cavalry and horse transport do not need fuel to move.
Maybe it's a "hybrid" vehicle for transport in Germany at War ? [;)]
Attachments
horsedraw..cawwii1.jpg
horsedraw..cawwii1.jpg (23.48 KiB) Viewed 153 times
AngrySwan

RE: Horse transport & Fuel

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi terminator,

This is the standart situation in Panzer General II as well as Operation Barbarossa and Germany at War. Cavalry needs no fuel to move just like infantry.

In the Napoleonic mod of Panzer General II made by Konstantin Karatzas cavalry also needs to stop and feed their horses but in the standard version of Panzer General II and most mods cavalry and horse towed artillery needs no fuel.
In some games like Panzer General IIID Assault, Panzer General III Scorched earth and People's General ground units need no fuel but everyone needs ammo resupply. Planes are a different story altogether.

I guess this is the tradition and it would be hard to come up with something better (but if you try...)
Men also need food and infantry divisions have trucks and horses to tow the division artillery not shown in this game. With a unit editor you could add fuel/food to everyone but then you would need to recalculate the resource points for the scenarios and maybe add one more action point to everyone - men, horses and tanks need food and fuel every day and so do planes and their pilots; or does this simulate the situation when the advancing units have gone too far away from supply depots and the logistics units need to catch up?
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Marechal,
Here is another image to illustrate my words (The images are better than one thousand words).

Marechal, I would like to know your opinion: horse transport with or without fuel ?
Attachments
transporta..0753_low.jpg
transporta..0753_low.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 154 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

My opinion about artillery horses in this game: horses are not tanked with petrol but they need to eat. Feeding a horse transport unit consumes resource points. So you can define feeding horses as ''kind of fuel''. If it is in game you can as well leave it.

What to do with cavalry and infantry units? Cavalry also feed their horses and every man in the army needs his daily ration. For the time being I could assume that the logistics network (which is not in this game) slowly expands and can catch up with infantry divisions as well as cavalry. Tanks and mechanized units are a different story, they make fast attacks deep into the enemy territory so they would sometimes move so fast than the logistics units cannot catch up.

The pictures are easy; I guess they did not have enough tractors these days so they sometimes used horses to tow broken cars.

terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Marechal,
If you could choose: horse transport with or without fuel ?
For my part, I think that you understood that it is without fuel.
For the interest of the game, every unit should have its advantages and its inconveniences :

Attachments
Transport.jpg
Transport.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 153 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi terminator,

We can keep resource costs for feeding horses for the time being.

Comparing the transports, horses are
+ cheapest
+ consume least resources
- slowest, can follow infantry but not tanks or mechanized forces

Trucks are
+ fastest, can follow tanks and mechanized forces
- consume more resources than horses
- more expensive

Halftracks are
+ fast, can follow tanks and mechanized forces but not as fast as trucks
+ should be better than trucks in mud
- most expensive
- consume most resources
- consume most resources.

This game is mostly about fast tank attacks but the old horse transports have their moments of glory like two artillery units near Lwow or the artillery supporting the attack on Orsha.
terminator

Post by terminator »

So, it is equality, one everywhere: (with Fuel) vs (without Fuel)

Only the moderator can decide between us: (with Fuel) (without Fuel)

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”