Keeping recon alive

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Jagger2002

Keeping recon alive

Post by Jagger2002 »

I am playing the Red Hammer campaign game. I am taking heavy recce losses and gradually running very low on recce. I am doing my best not to put my recce into unneccessary combat but just putting eyes on the objective before committing my main force results in a lot of dead recce. So any hints on having recce perform their jobs and stay alive?

Also I am curious does the Matrix forums search function function for anybody? I have given up on trying to do any searches.
zwobot

RE: Keeping recon alive

Post by zwobot »

On the defense, it might help to get your recon assets into the observation posts unspotted by the enemy and prevent them from moving around. According to section 8.2.2 in the game manual, units categorized as 'recon' have counterdetection bonuses, i. e. they are harder to spot by other units (not sure thogh whether other recon units neutralize this bonus).

On the offense, I don't have a suggestion. My recon units usually become destroyed pretty soon also.
rixtertech

Post by rixtertech »

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

Also I am curious does the Matrix forums search function function for anybody? I have given up on trying to do any searches.

I just tried it, and you're right, it gave no results at all for anything I tried. Until that far-off (w a y far off, like Never) day when Matrix decides to upgrade this forum software to current, use this:

Go to https://google.com

Enter <keywords> site:http://www.matrixgames.com/forums

Example: recon spotted site:http://www.matrixgames.com/forums

"They're firing? But they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from ther-"

-Union Gen. John Sedgewick, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, 1864, KIA while berating a private for ducking sniper fire
HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

mm.. Recon Units..this is how I use em', no difference between NATO or WP ...

My recce units will always move WITH, not out in front of my main advance route,
To me, Recce units are too fragile to go swanning off all over map by themselves getting sniped off (death by Recon).
My recce usually ending stacked with or adjacent to any big brother Armour Unit and with a 'Direct Command' arty command.
If they're going to get hit, at least my recce has direct and indirect fire support.
(Usually the whole Front will light up on recce and Armour lol, and then I'll know where everything is, not just one or two Bogeys.)

I'll picket an occasional recce unit on Halt command in a town/urban hex on a quiet flank. Yes Hold command,
- a Screen Command will cause the Recce unit to bolt and THEN get killed out in the open...
my tactics, this is what I do. Recon units do have a short life expectantcy but don't let em' die in vain.

From a book that I had read about the Normandy Campaign in 44,
most in Brit Recce crews were blind drunk because of the 'Death by Recon' syndrome knowing they could be vapourised by a 88 anytime they turned a corner.
Heia Safari
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

As Soviets it's pretty difficult keeping recon alive, much less hidden, because changes are the NATO units will easily spot them with their thermal optics and that'll be the end of them.

In real life and some other simulations/wargames, you can get the crew of a recce vehicle like the BRDM-2 or Luchs 1AX to park in the middle of a dense wood or town, turn off the engine, then dismount, so that, being infantry, they'd be harder to detect by the enemy while still providing recon.

Someone once told me it's difficult to detect infantry via thermals, even at 500m if they're in good cover. In FCRS an Abrams can detect a long-range recce patrol (two-subunit infantry squads) at 5000 meters and engage.
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: Stimpak

Someone once told me it's difficult to detect infantry via thermals, even at 500m if they're in good cover. In FCRS an Abrams can detect a long-range recce patrol (two-subunit infantry squads) at 5000 meters and engage.

The above would make a nice feature/change regarding the fidelity of thermals for SS!

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

There will be a number of refinements in spotting and cover and some better modeling of sensors in Southern Storm. We are already working on a number of changes and enhancements to LOS determination along with looking at methods to speed up a number of the internal routines to allow for both performance improvements and additional deeper models. Our goal is to make things like thermals and other sensors work closer to real world.

Thanks for the inputs! [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

My one tip as the Russians, is to use the peak and run tactic. Basically, the recce moves from an out of line of sight position into a hex with LOS to the objective area and then runs immediately back out of line of sight. Anyone shooting at the recce will only have 2-3 minutes to take them out. Although sometimes that is all it takes to wipe out the unit but often times, the recce gets away with valuable sighting information. The disadvantage is the process is slow, often sighting is less than optimal and many times, you still take losses or lose the recce unit. Best that I have to keep recce losses down and still attempt to perform their mission while on offense.

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I move recon in jumps. The movement orders are screen. THen when I get them where I want them they get a hold order. The hold order will make them harder to spot.

When it starts to get hot then they get a screen order.

This is like everything else concerning the game it doesn't work all the time. Not to mention timing is everything.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Panzer_Leader

Post by Panzer_Leader »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
I move recon in jumps. The movement orders are screen. THen when I get them where I want them they get a hold order. The hold order will make them harder to spot.

Nice to know. I didn't realise Hold reduced the chance of enemy detection. I generally retain reconnaissance on Screen orders to allow them to "scoot" when detected, and to only use Hold for main battle units I'm intending to be more or less "dug in".

Good tip.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”