Unit's Supply Issue - oversea Supply

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

adarbrauner

Unit's Supply Issue - oversea Supply

Post by adarbrauner »

Hello to all;

consider please the attached screenshot;

the unit encircled in red is unsupplied currently, but it seats in a port; there are no naval units, or air units whatsoever at sea, in any sea region;

therefore , why can't it trace an oversea supply line up to a German or even Finnish supply source?

thank you for the explanations,

Adar

Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (985.81 KiB) Viewed 20 times
PeteGarnett

RE: Unit's Supply Issue - oversea Supply

Post by PeteGarnett »

You would need convoy route to a supplied port/source.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: PeteGarnett

You would need convoy route to a supplied port/source.

That depends on if you are playing with the Option "limited overseas supply" on. If he is doing so, than MWIF is right, since the Finns need a convoy in the sea area to trace supply from Murmansk to Petsamo.
Peter
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

No option of "limited oversea supply" on.

It looks reasonable to establish a convoy route for resupply.

The manual though, at the supply line tracing paragraph, had not made mention of this, nor have I found elsewhere until now;

And sincerely, i don't know and haven't found yet on the manual explanation about how to establish a convoy route. The only occasion in which convoy creation was mentioned as far as I saw,, was in relation with the need to convoy industrial resources;

in addition, Centuur: why to establish it from Petsamo, wich is not a primary supply source, instead from Helsinky or another German supply port?
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

That reminds me: what version of the program are you using? In the past, there were problems with overseas supply for minor country units. If the version you are using is a recent one, can you post a gamesave in the forums? Than we can pick it up and investigate.

You can go to the folder in the MWIF directory, zip it and upload it in the forums (just as you do with a picture).
Peter
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Version 1.0.0 ....
just purchased and downloaded
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Wow. You need to upgrade to the latest beta asap as you are going to find major issues until you do [:(]
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Most recent beta version, 2.1.40, downloaded and installed, but actually is bouncing back harsher issues than the oldest, at least until now.

See please screenshot: begin of a new game; forces, of USSR, completely displayed, and button of end of relative sub-phase hit, to receive this: the game is stuck, button for end of subphase grayed; it happened already 5 times in a row with the new version, sometimes in completely different phases. [&:][&:][&:]

EDIT: I see in the forum that a 2.3.4 is issued already... but where can it be dowloaded from??
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 20 times
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

The way to proceed after the first installation of the program is to update it first, using the official updater in the program itself. This makes sure you get all data file changes made after the initial release.

After that, it's essential that you first upgrade to version 2.3.0.0, since in that public beta, there were again some changes made in the data files.

Finally, you can update to the latest public beta, which is 2.3.4.0

Peter
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Yes Peter. The update to the official version has been made.

But the link to the 2.3.00 and subsequent one, where can it be found?
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Yes Peter. The update to the official version has been made.

But the link to the 2.3.00 and subsequent one, where can it be found?

Look under Members on the top of the page and scroll down to World in Flames. Click on Registered to see the Open Beta.

That should give you 2.3.4 I think 2.3.0 was replaced by that.

Dave
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

- Updated to 2.3.40.

another question regarding supply please, if you could explain:

In the picture the two red encircled units are both at a 2 hexes distance from a secondary supply suorce (Hq), on same terrain semingly (forest), weather is "stormy"; one is shown as supplied, while the other not. why, in your opinion?

Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 20 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Turn on hex control. (Flag button in main menu.) Probably the hex between the HQ and the Ski unit to the NE of it is Russian controlled.

Whenever overland supply doesn't look "right", turn on hex control. That's usually what has been missed by the player.
Paul
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Hello Paul.

Thank you, probably this was the case, meanwhile the gave moved on and that situation hadn't been saved to allow a check.

following another question, though;

in the screenshot, the two encircled air units are both 3 hexes from a supplied supportive HQ, in rain. So why are they unsupplied (p.s., in previous impulse weather was blizzard, justifying then their unsupplied status, but I don't think this shoul drag consequences on the new turn)?

Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 20 times
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

No option of "limited oversea supply" on.

It looks reasonable to establish a convoy route for resupply.

The manual though, at the supply line tracing paragraph, had not made mention of this, nor have I found elsewhere until now;

And sincerely, i don't know and haven't found yet on the manual explanation about how to establish a convoy route. The only occasion in which convoy creation was mentioned as far as I saw,, was in relation with the need to convoy industrial resources;

in addition, Centuur: why to establish it from Petsamo, wich is not a primary supply source, instead from Helsinky or another German supply port?

Petsamo is just a waypoint, you need to draw the line of supply from your unit back to a primary or secundary supply source according to some rules, depending on weather, land, or sea crossing... they are pretty complex but it's necessary to know them.

But if you trace to a secondary, from there you need to trace to a Primary supply source. For a finnish unit that would be any finish city (not Petsamo, which is only a port but not a city), but there are others beside Helsinki.

I cannot recall if you can use GE supply, however. I guess you can too.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Hello Paul.

Thank you, probably this was the case, meanwhile the gave moved on and that situation hadn't been saved to allow a check.

following another question, though;

in the screenshot, the two encircled air units are both 3 hexes from a supplied supportive HQ, in rain. So why are they unsupplied (p.s., in previous impulse weather was blizzard, justifying then their unsupplied status, but I don't think this shoul drag consequences on the new turn)?

It's not being dragged from previous turn, but rain affects supply too.
A supply path, basic or railway, can be up to 4 hexes long if the hex you are tracing from has fine weather, up to 3 hexes if it is in snow and up to 2 hexes in rain, storm or blizzard.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

And another case here:

teh red encircled unit s three hexes (unit under rain) from Kaunas and Warsaw, both active secondary supply sources.

so why is it unsupplied?

Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 20 times
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Because of what I just mentioned and quoted [:D]:
quote:

A supply path, basic or railway, can be up to 4 hexes long if the hex you are tracing from has fine weather, up to 3 hexes if it is in snow and up to 2 hexes in rain, storm or blizzard.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

A supply path, basic or railway, can be up to 2 hexes in rain, storm or blizzard.

Am I so blind?
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

As for Petsamo, the scenario is Barbarossa, so the 'game' map does not include the Norwegian Sea or North Sea. So supply cannot be traced through those sea areas. Historically, the British would have frowned on German supply vessels in those sea areas.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”