Be able to play all the original Lnl boardgames in this game

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
maitrebongo

RE: Be able to play all the original Lnl boardgames in this game

Post by maitrebongo »

Thank you very much **budd** for the support

It's true that it's a bit messy in organizing files.
I made a little too fast to be able to satisfy the request which seemed urgent and so that you can try all the mods (for the most impatient).

I used the method of copy/paste rather than JSME because I worked on the files of the mods and it is more practical like that by having the original files available in the same folder.

I will prepare a version of each mod that is compatible with JSME (and without unnecessary files) as well as a tutorial with screenshots so that everyone can install them easily.
Next week, surely ...
"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

That would be great! Much appreciated. [:)]
Richard
fran52

Post by fran52 »

I continue my work of reassembling the different mods.
This weekend, it's the turn of the module Heroes of the pacific.

Great, but what about the rules for the landing on the shore,the Japanes Banzai and so on?
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

I'm working on it...

It is necessary to deal with the limitations of the original program.
But I do not despair of finding a way to adapt the peculiarities of the different nations of Heroes of Stalingrad (like the for the motherland or the no one step back ones, for example) to regain all the flavor of Heros of the Pacific.

But we must remain lucid ; As long as we do not have access to the variables that are hidden in the engine of the game, any attempt to adapt will only be an approximation...
Personally, it suits me already very well and I really find the sensations of the games that I was doing with my boardgames (except that there I can play against an AI which is convincing enough for now).

Certainly, the developers of the original game could have done much better ... But they did not (and will certainly never, alas).
So it is up to us to take up the torch and try to push this game definitively to the best of what it can give.

Three years ago, when we discovered this game, we were all enthusiastic about the possibilities of development and modding that it offered.
I really believed at the time that there would be a sequel to this game and that DLCs were going out (and I would have been willing to buy them without any hesitation).
That's why I stopped my efforts to modding this game.
I waited... 3 years... And nothing happened.

It should be noted that NOW the solution to evolve this game will come only from the community, with its limitations and imperfections... But also with its tremendous capacity for reactivity and creativity.

Anyway, as today's fashion is to program the wargame with the UNITY engine, the future of modding will be reserved for people who will have skills in programming this kind of engine and subject to the will of the developers to openning programs for modding (these systems are very closed).

So if we want to create our own versions of a game we have to rely on programs that allow it (more or less); And this is the case with Heroes of Stalingrad ...
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Anyway is a shame that this game is no more supported.I have done a mod with value for the AFV more close to ASL.I have value very close to ASL to be applied but after discovering a bug in the mud condition i have stopped any work waiting some patch.
The bug consists in the fact that confuses AFV armor value with mud movement value.

Good luck with your work,i'm interested to view the Pacific and Blitzkrieg.
budd

Post by budd »

Got a chance to play scenario First Blood, played well i didnt notice any issues. One thing is in the scenario description it says French troops and the units on the map are French but when you pick sides your choices are Soviet and Romania? also in the victory screen the troops categories are Soviet and Romania.

I never owned or played the board game [that must of been fun] i do like the system so looking forward to anything you put out, thank you sir.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

ORIGINAL: acropora

Anyway is a shame that this game is no more supported.I have done a mod with value for the AFV more close to ASL.I have value very close to ASL to be applied but after discovering a bug in the mud condition i have stopped any work waiting some patch.
The bug consists in the fact that confuses AFV armor value with mud movement value.

I think we must give up all hope of seeing the developers change the game engine. We are left to ourselves and we will have to find solutions on our own.

My philosophy is: 'when you encounter a problem that nobody can fix, bypass it or do with it...'

...i'm interested to view the Pacific and Blitzkrieg.

I have many other projects in my drawers ...

Battle of Mosul

Afghanistan

Grozny

Crimea

Arnhem

Berlin 45

Afrika Korps

Israël/arabian wars

You can really do a lot of things with this game engine ...

Our mistake at the start (3 years ago) was to want to make it as an all in one game.
It is a real headache because of the limitation of the 8 separate nations for example.

I now think that it should be considered as separate modules (much like the original boardgames or Advanced Squad Leader): a module for each period or front.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

I now think that it should be considered as separate modules (much like the original boardgames or Advanced Squad Leader): a module for each period or front.
This is right but the main problem,i repeat,are the special rules for each mod.
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

This is right but the main problem,i repeat,are the special rules for each mod.

We have no choice :

We adapt to what is hard-coded in the program,
If it does not work, we try to bypass it,
If not possible, we do with it ...

The result is still quite convincing.
giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

you shouldnt have to move anything. let me step by step this. 1. copy the main HOS folder. 2. paste the copy of the whole folder somewhere. 3. go into copied folder, then into the map folder and delete the contents of the map folder.4 unzip the mod file into the main HOS copied folder, say yes to overwriting files. at this point everything should be in place and you just need to double click on the game exe. in the copied hos folder. Your working on a copy so no worries about hurting anything. Im sure JSME will work, i havent looked at the file structure of the mod yet.

Hey Bud,

Finally got it after looking at your instructions step by step. Thank you! Game works great now no need to wait for Lock N Load Publishing to come out with HOS 2 Digital Version. That may never happen so lets enjoy these Modules.

Thank you again to Maitre for all his hard work and dedication to this Title I have been playing & enjoying for years!!
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

You're welcome, it's a job I started a long time ago (at the beginning of the game) and I had left aside (a little for the same reasons as Acropora for that matter).

I am now trying to reorganize very cleanly all the files and make mods very clean (without any unnecessary files) and perfectly compatible with a JSME installation.

As said, I would also publish a complete tutorial for the different types of installation.
berto

Post by berto »

I bought this game when it first came out but soon set it aside due to lack of interest in the subject matter.

These however pique my interest:
ORIGINAL: maitrebongo

- Heroes of the Pacific

- Forgotten Heroes Vietnam
Thanks for working to revive this game!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: berto

I bought this game when it first came out but soon set it aside due to lack of interest in the subject matter.

These however pique my interest:
ORIGINAL: maitrebongo

- Heroes of the Pacific

- Forgotten Heroes Vietnam
Thanks for working to revive this game!
Those are the 2 im most looking forward to also.
Maitrebongo- played the "the first probe" the briefing mentions Soviet Guards and Americans but the side choices have Soviet Guards and German SS. the units on the map are Americans and Soviet Guards

GJK

Post by GJK »

Probably not possible due to the different map (squares vs hexes) but I'd *love* to see a mod for Day of Heroes! Could it be possible perhaps?
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
CCIP-subsim

Post by CCIP-subsim »

Thanks very much for this :)

I don't have this game yet - I was always very interested but hesitated because I thought the content seemed rather limited. But this is exactly the kind of thing I needed to change my mind!
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Um...this is quite impressive. Thank you very much.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Frido1207

Post by Frido1207 »

Outstanding work. Thank you very much.
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Maitrebongo- played the "the first probe" the briefing mentions Soviet Guards and Americans but the side choices have Soviet Guards and German SS. the units on the map are Americans and Soviet Guards

This is because there is a limitation on the number of different nationalities.
The Americans take the place of the German SS and the French of the Romanians of the original game.
I think I will use the nationalities Custom 1 and Custom 2 for Americans and French, but I would still have to use nationalities of the original game for the English and the Argentines.

In the background, it does not change the game ...

ORIGINAL: GJK

Probably not possible due to the different map (squares vs hexes) but I'd *love* to see a mod for Day of Heroes! Could it be possible perhaps?

I already have a mod start for Day of Heroes.
It is a little harder to adapt the specific rules of this period, but by making some compromises, it should be able to arrange.

As for the maps, the solution is to redraw them but on a hexagonal map. Either from scratch or by tapping into the tactical wargame maps graphics that I have been collecting for years (I have about 400 of them, including the magnificent maps of the Close Combat game series including the Close Combat Road to Baghdad , Close Combat Marines and Close Combat Modern Tactics that contain maps that could fit perfectly for this kind of theatre of operations).

Thanks to the others for your encouragement, but I would like to point out that part of my work is based on the work of other modders.
I'm just trying to put things in order.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Not sure qwhat Im doing wrong but I followed the instructions laid out and it doesnt work. I only have blank map.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Not sure qwhat Im doing wrong but I followed the instructions laid out and it doesnt work. I only have blank map.
you follow the step by step in my post #20?

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”