California secession - Civil War in the 21st century?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

simovitch

California secession - Civil War in the 21st century?

Post by simovitch »

I was just thinking about this and what a great modern warfare scenario it could be with the right engine...

If California was to secede, do you think the feds would attack to preserve the Union? How would Trump handle this, besides building a wall along Oregon-Nevada-Arizona and asking California to pay for it?[8|]
simovitch

Aurelian

RE: California secession - Civil War in the 21st century?

Post by Aurelian »

Texas v. White, 74 U.S. 700 The case involved a claim by the Reconstruction government of Texas that United States bonds owned by Texas since 1850 had been illegally sold by the Confederate state legislature during the American Civil War. The state filed suit directly with the United States Supreme Court, which, under the United States Constitution, retains original jurisdiction on certain cases in which a state is a party.

In accepting original jurisdiction, the court ruled that, legally speaking, Texas had remained a United States state ever since it first joined the Union, despite its joining the Confederate States of America and its being under military rule at the time of the decision in the case. In deciding the merits of the bond issue, the court further held that the Constitution did not permit states to unilaterally secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".

Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase commented that the federal Constitution “in all its provisions looks to an indestructible Union, composed of indestructible States.”

The US Supreme Court in 1869 had to determine the legality of secession before the case was decided.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

There's hardly anybody in California that would actually fight for California.

Years ago we had a campaign were players had region of California and used their armor miniatures to expand their holdings. Like a Modern Vikings world.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

I was just thinking about this and what a great modern warfare scenario it could be with the right engine...

If California was to secede, do you think the feds would attack to preserve the Union? How would Trump handle this, besides building a wall along Oregon-Nevada-Arizona and asking California to pay for it?[8|]
If you were talking in the days before smokeless gun powder and machine guns, you might have something interesting there, and that's about all I am going to write about on this thread without getting into trouble with the Moderators. [:D]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Oh yea I forgot we are not supposed to be political. But it WOULD make for an interesting operational level game. Unless you're not a Californian I guess.
simovitch

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

So much sturm and drang nonsense.

Nearly every state has had a 'secede' movement with signatures over the years. Doesn't matter. Gather all the signatures you want, there's no mechanism whereby signatures or ballot initiative or state legislative bill passage or governor's decree or...anything...equates to secession. There's simply no mechanism for it in our government.

Personally, I'd rather not waste my time on fake news, smoke and mirrors. To each their own.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Nearly every state has had a 'secede' movement with signatures over the years. Doesn't matter. Gather all the signatures you want, there's no mechanism whereby signatures or ballot initiative or state legislative bill passage or governor's decree or...anything...equates to secession. There's simply no mechanism for it in our government.
There has to be an Amendment passed to provide the mechanism for secession then that has to be adhered to. Federal territories and protectorates have been given their own independence but no state.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Mobius
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
There has to be an Amendment passed to provide the mechanism for secession then that has to be adhered to. Federal territories and protectorates have been given their own independence but no state.

Chickenboy & Mobius, what are your reliable sources for you statements?
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Reminder: No politics, folks.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “General Discussion”