GIGANTO Video-AAR on Youtube 8|

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RFalvo69

GIGANTO Video-AAR on Youtube 8|

Post by RFalvo69 »

I was wasting time on Youtube when I remembered that video-AAR which that Harplonked guy was doing on Youtube. Out of curiosity, I checked.

Boy [X(] Right now there are 316 videos covering the Grand Campaign at one day turns! The latest one is about the events of Oct, 18 1942... and each turn, with full commentary, is about one hour long. The commentary is chock full of tactical and strategic musings - not to mention the R rated reactions when things go south..

Who knows? Maybe he is rich [:)]

Anyway, many will remember how the infamous opening video, the one where Harplonked laid down the overall Pacific Campaign strategy, is ten hours long. Well, he was so gracious to provide a save game for people who agree with his strategy and want to jump into play at once.

It is refreshing to see this Overwatch-level of dedication to our complex wargame. I just hope he will not burn out for the effort...

The link to the AAR (it starts with a self-contained video about the Battle of the Marianas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOSoSv ... LFYbqiaNzQ

And here is the link to his save-game with ten hours of strategic planning in it (but you have to watch the ten-hours video to see if you agree [:D] ): www.harplonkhq.com/WitP/1942/41-12/WitP ... _Setup.zip [&o]

Caveat: according to the first video, he plays with the last official patch, not with the betas provided by MichaelM.

No, really, kudos to Harplonked. The endeavour is crazy, but our hobby can only benefit from these kind of efforts.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Yaab

RE: GIGANTO Video-AAR on Youtube 8|

Post by Yaab »

Three or four years ago, there was a guy in the "Something Awful" forums, who was playing the grand campaign and posted daily updates. His AAR format was great - clean layout with neat commentary and nice typography. Great reading, think he reached 1944. However, somewhere along the way, the forum changed from one where you could view the forum's content freely to one requiring an account and logging prior to viewing the forums, so I don't know if he finished the campaign.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

The guy is cool, I chatted with him re. Harpoon mods etc. a while back

He is total navy game fan (seems Harp and AE are his faves - so good taste!)
cardas

Post by cardas »

Okay, that's a rather impressive effort I'll admit. Though this isn't really a game that fits video AARs that well. While impressive as I said, if you want to do video I'd think doing some kind of monthly overviews might be more effective than daily ones.

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Three or four years ago, there was a guy in the "Something Awful" forums, who was playing the grand campaign and posted daily updates. His AAR format was great - clean layout with neat commentary and nice typography. Great reading, think he reached 1944. However, somewhere along the way, the forum changed from one where you could view the forum's content freely to one requiring an account and logging prior to viewing the forums, so I don't know if he finished the campaign.

If you want to read it to the end then here you go: http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-Pacific/
The same guy is going through the campaign from the Japanese side at the moment, though for that you have to go the forum for that.

The Something Awful forum itself goes back and forth between being freely available and not. It never stays permanently behind the paywall, but it can be behind it for quite a while sometimes. Quite annoying if you don't shell out the cash to register - which is the intent I suppose.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Wow, thanks for the link!

I liked his format so much. The ideal blend of commentary, jpg and reports. This thing should get published someday.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: cardas

While impressive as I said, if you want to do video I'd think doing some kind of monthly overviews might be more effective than daily ones.

If you want only to see monthly overviews just watch the video at the first of every month. They are about 20 minutes longer and covers the previous month and plans for the next month.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Seathom

Post by Seathom »

I started watching Harplonked's series around Oct/Nov. I started at the beginning and am only on video 263 but have been enjoying it immensely! The time it takes to just watch the videos is tiring - how he is able to play so much is beyond me.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”