The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

palioboy2

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by palioboy2 »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

I can't imagine playing without tracker

I can't imagine playing without a spreadsheet tracking enemy units

I can't imagine playing without my sub kill spreadsheet

I may have issues!

Would it be possible for you too post a template for these? I am trying to set some up for myself but I would love to see somebody else's!
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Easy enough mate

For the troop tracker one, all I do is track Inf Div, Carriers, BBs, CAs and Hqs.

I have a list of them as I spot them on the left, and the date on the top, and freeze the left panel so its always in view.

Added to signit, it gives me a reasonably good idea where the IJA and the IJN are, and where they have come from.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

There is a sticky on the main forum for the Tracker app and discussion. tm.asp?m=2236936
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The game is delayed by real-life work issues for John the past few days. But I also think he needs some time to adjust to the Battle of San Bernardino Strait and to figure out what he's going to do next. The email he sent with the last turn, Sunday morning: "This turn felt like a Friday the 13th turn."

It's pretty clear he's stymied a bit. I think he'll do one of two things: (1) hold back his carriers while concentrating on a land campaign to evict me from Luzon (and also smaller invasions against some of the other islands); or (2) if he's desperate enough, commit his carriers.

Unless I make a mistake, the environment for committing his carriers will only deteriorate with time. So he's got a tough decision to make. But I bet he goes with option 1.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

I would say you are Strategically bold and Tactically conservative. To be clear I think you have your eye on the prize and are doing absolutely the right thing. Still, I'm sure John has a bunch of weakly defend TF's that would be surprised by a visit.
To be fair, the idea of a Thunder Run was not mine, but Admiral Halsey's. He did pretty much the same thing before the Philippines invasion. He raided Formosa and took out most of the aircraft and pilots that would have defended the Philippines.
Short version here :http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_formosa.html
Long Version here :https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Over-Leyte-Philippine-Destruction/dp/0451473612
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Email from John last evening: "I’ve decided that I’m too tired to run and do the turn.  We are at a juncture where I cannot half-ass a turn presently.  Will work on it when I’ve recharged my batteries."

Real life work adventures continue to monkey with turn flow. When we resume, I'd better watch out. The tone of the email suggests that John is about to bear down and get to work.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

4/12/44

A fine day, with logistical developments at Legaspi being the center of attention.

Fun House: All remaining troops came ashore at Legaspi, and many support ships (including AKE and AO) disbanded in port. The level one port is able to fully replenish even BB ammo, due to the high level of naval support. A BB TF and two CL/DD TFs will guard the port. The airfield went to 5.15 (it'll reach six in three turns, I think). So this base is fully functioning and bristling with combined arms, naval, air and infantry.

The fallout from the recent naval battle: I lost one DD. CA Baltimore and DD Kimberly suffered moderately heavy damage and can't fight until repairs are complete at some distant shipyard, one of these days. All the other ships are in good shape to fight now or after two or three days at pier side. John lost at least six DDs and probably 10 or 11. I think that's about 10% of his remaining destroyer force. The battle didn't cripple him, by any means, but it was a sobering setback for the Kaigun.

In the near future, I'll bring my carriers into port to replenish. I'm also weighing when to re-embark some of the units prepping for other beachheads or for bases now held in the PI. I'm leaning towards maintaining a defensive posture at the moment, as explained above, but other options are under consideration.

No sign of KB, but each turn I try to maximize the defenses for possible attack.

Burma: Allied sweeps at Pegu score a victory over George/Frank CAP, then 4EB trash the field, destroying more enemy fighters on the ground. John has re-stabilized his right flank but has issues on his left flank. I'm monkeying around to see if I can gain an advantage (and to keep applying enough pressure so that he's worried enough to commit good fighters).

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Most likely the BBs rearmed from the AKEs, not the port with NS, unless you have about 1100 NS there. Make sure you check your AKEs every few turns and have them reload supplies.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I thought it combined port + NS + appropriate support ships (AE/AKE/AD/AS etc)??
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I believe that the tenders are a separate item. The manual lists port size + NS and then to the right puts in Tenders. I do not rely on NS to help, I use tenders. I once had a port that had just enough NS and then 2 of them went disabled for a few turns. [:@]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I was referring to the fact that the ships replenished ammo, not the exact source of the replenishment. But I did figure that the AKEs were that source, and I do replenish AKE supply regularly. :)
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I believe that the tenders are a separate item. The manual lists port size + NS and then to the right puts in Tenders.

This is correct.

There are still maximum port handling limits to consider, though.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I believe that the tenders are a separate item. The manual lists port size + NS and then to the right puts in Tenders.

This is correct.

Yeah, that means at a small sized port you need to replenish the Support ships from the port every turn, because so little ammo actually gets loaded on the support ship before you hit the 1000 ops points. On turns where your combat ships are drawing ammo from an AKE or AE, you will want them (AKE/AE) to have enough cargo on board and not using their ops points to load from the port. Even at that it can take two or three turns to replenish a BB bombardment TF.

I understand the need to build airfields quickly but a level 2 port build should follow a level 5 AF, IMO.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I make a lot of AKE and AE. Every Hog Island and Harriman xAK end up being an AKE. IN March 43 I have 38 converted and 14 more will be converted in a few days.
I take at least 12 on any major invasion so I can have some rearming and some loading supply.
Plus all of the C2 Cargo xAKs that are able convert to AE( I have 14 of them )
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Elected to send the entire fleet into port. The highest priority is for the carriers to replenish sorties and replace a few missing aircraft. 225 LBA fighters at the base, so CAP should be essentially that same as if the carriers were at sea. I don't expect John to attack, but there's always that small chance.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

This is correct.

Yeah, that means at a small sized port you need to replenish the Support ships from the port every turn, because so little ammo actually gets loaded on the support ship before you hit the 1000 ops points. On turns where your combat ships are drawing ammo from an AKE or AE, you will want them (AKE/AE) to have enough cargo on board and not using their ops points to load from the port. Even at that it can take two or three turns to replenish a BB bombardment TF.

I understand the need to build airfields quickly but a level 2 port build should follow a level 5 AF, IMO.

I meant the port + naval support. The tenders are almost entirely separate.
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

I echo what Bill said. Having enough AKE's in place to have some loading while others are available for fear,ing helps. Keep in mind that when you use the load tender button you are only accessing the ops points from the night phase. You can get twice as much loaded if you have enough AKE to put some in TF and set it to load supply (with do not unload checked)
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I make a lot of AKE and AE. Every Hog Island and Harriman xAK end up being an AKE. IN March 43 I have 38 converted and 14 more will be converted in a few days.
I take at least 12 on any major invasion so I can have some rearming and some loading supply.
Plus all of the C2 Cargo xAKs that are able convert to AE( I have 14 of them )

I don't find the need for that many AKEs. Still have plenty though. But I never met an AE that I did not like. They become really valuable when underway replenishment comes on line in 1945.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I'll continue building the airfield at least to level seven before commencing work on a level two port. My reasons are two-fold:
1) The airfield builds quicker, and the bigger the base, the more suppyl and fuel it can handle. Unloading supply and fuel is paramount (it's risky having them aboard ships that might get sunk); and
2) One of the reasons Fun House targeted the bases it did was that they were vacant or lightly defended, meaning I didn't have to utilizie bombardment TFs, meaning replenishing wasn't going to be as pressing an issue as it might be otherwise.

Also, Naga, which is one hex away, is already a level 3 port. If necessary, I can move the replenishing operations there.

Legaspi, with it's naval support squads and support ships, seems able to handle short-term replenishment needs. Once the airfield hits 7(7), I'll probably change over to building both port and airfield.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'll continue building the airfield at least to level seven before commencing work on a level two port.

If you don't mind me beating a dead horse, I admit I don't understand this priority. What can you do right away with a level 7 airfield that a 5 isn't good enough? In contrast, getting the port up to 2 or 3 will allow more and faster loading and unloading. What am I missing?

Return to “After Action Reports”