eastern front stalls in 42. How to prepare for overlord?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

bullet911

eastern front stalls in 42. How to prepare for overlord?

Post by bullet911 »

Hi a little help would be appreciated playing as the axis

Played a few games but always seem to get stuck and am not sure how to get past it, i can take poland in 2 turns and france in 4/5 beat up some of the royal navy in the north sea doing hit and run, take malta after france and and push slowly into eygpt, the problem is am getting to the gates of the main russian objectives and then hitting a wall. I can destroy all the units in along the way but theres just too many betime i get to moscow or stalingrad for eg.
Am i missing something, i have 3 german armys with roughly equal in terms of air force, armour and mobile infantry heading north, centre and towards stalingrad, with hungry and romaina going to the crimea.
And while all this it going on any advice in preparing for D-day would be good
Dunkelheit87

RE: eastern front stalls in 42. How to prepare for overlord?

Post by Dunkelheit87 »

Concerning D-Day preparation the best condition would be Gibraltar in Axis hands. Americans will not then land in Algeria. So, you must have Spain as an ally. But the invasion
in Portugal can not prevent D-Day, even if Allies will be defeated there. It must be noted that D-Day preparation for the Allies take place for 1-2 turns only and one can try to
sink some troop transports then. Also it is useful to have Spanish and Swedish troops to defend France.
Bylandt11

Post by Bylandt11 »

Don't forget you can win without taking Moscow. Getting Russian nationale morale to 0 will also do it. I once won by digging in and destroying nearly 300 Russian units.

When defending for D-Day: I'm not sure, but (apart from the Med S) I think the AI only lands on part of the French north coast, between Brest en Caen. Don't deploy fighters there. They are more useful on the Eastern front. A few U-boats can be really useful with intercepting transports.
bullet911

Post by bullet911 »

Basically grind it out in the east
Am i right in saying its best to capture all the towns etc while advancing to leningrad/moscow/stalingrad or punch holes stright there?
In the west does anyone have any forces there ready waiting ie garrisons or corps?
And lastly whats the best thing to do with the spanish army?
Dunkelheit87

Post by Dunkelheit87 »

In the west does anyone have any forces there ready waiting ie garrisons or corps?
There must be a little amount of corps and garrisons and Atlantic Wall, but relocating troops after D-Day will not be late.
And lastly whats the best thing to do with the spanish army?
To upgrade it and use in France. Also one can invade Portugal and defeat allies there.

Some screenshots:

bullet911

Post by bullet911 »

Ahh i never thought about portugal! Do you know how much extra MPP extra you get?
Dunkelheit87

Post by Dunkelheit87 »

Do you know how much extra MPP extra you get?
Insignificant. Better to capture eastern and soviet oil fields.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”