TOP SECRET ORM + WARSPITE ONLY (Reverse AAR)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

RE: TOP SECRET ORM + WARSPITE ONLY (Reverse AAR)

Post by warspite1 »

The Germans are going to declare war on Belgium this impulse. I cannot spare any aircraft or HQ, but let me know if you need army units. I have one of the three rail moves earmarked, but can give all three over to the Italians if required.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

I thought we agreed on waiting on the new year for Belgium. [&:]

I do not see any special, favourable, circumstances, that explains the change of plan. Rather the opposite actually. Therefore I wonder why you changed you mind, if you do not mind me asking.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I thought we agreed on waiting on the new year for Belgium. [&:]

I do not see any special, favourable, circumstances, that explains the change of plan. Rather the opposite actually. Therefore I wonder why you changed you mind, if you do not mind me asking.
warspite1

Yes, but we have to react to game events. The Axis should have the initiative at this stage of the war. The Allies have just taken the initiative and are calling the shots.

With the CW declaring war on Italy and the Axis not reacting, we give the French and CW time to move their pieces around to where they want them to go.

The French are overly strong on the Italian border. Well by bringing Belgium into the game, they need to decide whether that is actually the sensible thing to do.

Who knows what the weather throws and turn length will be - but its entirely possible Jan/Feb could be lousy.

It may of course be the wrong move and the god of dice may be against us (but that is the case even if we wait) but I just feel we should be doing something.

Orm

Post by Orm »

The Axis should have the initiative at this stage of the war. The Allies have just taken the initiative and are calling the shots.
Let them. We have a plan. Allies have done nothing that concerns the Italians and the Japanese are cheering on the sidelines. So far they have delayed the US entry into the war. And they delayed the US production.

Italy could easily have stopped the Allies from doing this but decided not to because we had a plan by playing it slow. Keeping the US entry down. The DOW on Belgium is a likely '39 chit. Unless the Allies make a mistake it is unlikely that we will cross the Dyle river. Thereby gaining nothing by declaring war now.

By just placing a corps in Liege they stop the entire German army from advancing across the Dyle. Then the British can easily advance into Antwerp. Belgians are likely to be in a position to advance into Brussels. And the French can defend the Maas river. Just what the Allies wanted historically.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

The French are overly strong on the Italian border.
Indeed.

It has been my goal to draw the French there. So let them stay there. There they will be no help once the real offensive begins.

I strongly recommend to wait for the German paratrooper to arrive before declaring war on Belgium. It mages a enormous difference in crossing the Dyle. And if the French are still watching the Italians then, so much better.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Who knows what the weather throws and turn length will be - but its entirely possible Jan/Feb could be lousy.
That's why we wait for Mar/Apr unless we get a really good opportunity which we currently have not.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The Axis should have the initiative at this stage of the war. The Allies have just taken the initiative and are calling the shots.
Let them. We have a plan. Allies have done nothing that concerns the Italians and the Japanese are cheering on the sidelines. So far they have delayed the US entry into the war. And they delayed the US production.

Italy could easily have stopped the Allies from doing this but decided not to because we had a plan by playing it slow. Keeping the US entry down. The DOW on Belgium is a likely '39 chit. Unless the Allies make a mistake it is unlikely that we will cross the Dyle river. Thereby gaining nothing by declaring war now.

By just placing a corps in Liege they stop the entire German army from advancing across the Dyle. Then the British can easily advance into Antwerp. Belgians are likely to be in a position to advance into Brussels. And the French can defend the Maas river. Just what the Allies wanted historically.
warspite1

I don't see what the Belgians do is any different from what they will do in 1940. The chit argument I accept, but we remain in a better position due to the declaration against Italy.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Without German units in Rotterdam and without a paratrooper ready I strongly suggest that we wait.

I rather that Germany bombed the French production.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

I don't see what the Belgians do is any different from what they will do in 1940. The chit argument I accept, but we remain in a better position due to the declaration against Italy.
The difference is the paratropper that can cross the Dyle. Making the defence of Belgium that much harder. Huge difference. And if the Stukas are in position then that makes a huge difference as well. Then the chance of ground striking the Belgians in the wrong position is decent. Especially if the 4 range Stuka has arrived and with the right production it has.

I can make pictures to show the difference if you like.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I rather, or Italy rather, make a fight of Sardinia than invade Belgium.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

So what do you propose re Sardinia?

Orm

Post by Orm »

The Italian navy transport the Italian division this impulse. The next the German ATR can lift a MTN. Then German MTN and divisions can be reinforced as well. This supplemented by air should do the trick, unless Allies reinforce it. I'll get back to you with a plan.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Okay, but I think we can - and should - do both. Happy to make the Transport and Mountain Unit and two good quality infantry corps available to the Italians.

Orm

Post by Orm »

If you feel the need to do something then consider invading Netherlands instead.

It might be that CW can only land one unit in Rotterdam. Attacking it in bad weather with defensive shore bombardment will still be a pain but it might be doable.

Attacking Belgium, at the moment, I see as a big risk. Getting stuck without crossing the Dyle is a real possibility then.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I think that, while there is always a risk of course, the weather (as it did for us if you recall [:@]) is actually not helping the Allies in forming a line behind the Dyle. The weather, plus a shortage of units means that they are stretched. Yes, the turn could end, the weather then turns fine and they get the first impulse, but then again maybe not.

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I agree with Orm. Either attack in S/O, or wait until you can grab Rotterdam, which means M/A after you get the paratrooper.

You got lucky with the Allied port strike. One transport was knocked out for two turns, and one for three. Your AA rolls were ridiculous. (The odds of rolling that well were 8 chances out of a 1000.) Except for Bulgaria, things are going well for the Allies. It is much better to have the Allies attack Italy than having Italy attack France and the CW, unless the Allied attack is more successful than it was. Losing the Sardinian resource was annoying, but no more than that. Indeed, it should be possible to contest Sardinia with a division, since you still hold Cagliari.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I think that, while there is always a risk of course, the weather (as it did for us if you recall [:@]) is actually not helping the Allies in forming a line behind the Dyle. The weather, plus a shortage of units means that they are stretched. Yes, the turn could end, the weather then turns fine and they get the first impulse, but then again maybe not.
No, I did not recall that. Funny thing memory. What I recalled was that they declared war on Netherlands first. And we stopped them from capturing Rotterdam. Then they declared war on Belgium and spend a offensive to capture Brussels. All of this was the first turn when our reserves were disorganized. Making it harder for us to move into Belgium. And, if my memory serves which I often doubt, it was the long turns that was our main downfall. And Germany had their stukas ready for Belgium.

I rather compare it with our own second AAR game. Germany DOW Belgium in November, without any declaration of war on Netherlands. And then get stuck in Belgium. I do not think Belgium ever got conquered in that game.

So many things can go wrong here. We might even end the impulse after our move. It is not even like they have to pass to end it (They will have a 30% chance of ending it without passing).
Orm

Post by Orm »

(The odds of rolling that well were 8 chances out of a 1000.)
So we got one out of those eight then. [:)]

----

I really felt my saved up luck escaping with those rolls.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Just an observation, but one of the things with WIF is you can make all the plans you want, but you absolutely have to be flexible to allow for the weather. Good weather for the Axis early is to be taken advantage of simply because you can't guarantee that you will have good weather when you plan to do things in most cases.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Just an observation, but one of the things with WIF is you can make all the plans you want, but you absolutely have to be flexible to allow for the weather. Good weather for the Axis early is to be taken advantage of simply because you can't guarantee that you will have good weather when you plan to do things in most cases.
Good weather? What's good weather (aside from what my opponents get)? [:)]
I thought I knew how to play this game....

Return to “After Action Report”