Finland

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

bo

Finland

Post by bo »

I keep trying different tactics so I have started over more than several times, when German units approached Finland 5 or 6 hexes away Finland always joined with Germany, I do not remember changing anything but Finland did not join the last two times. What an I missing here.

Bo
vonRocko

RE: Finland

Post by vonRocko »

They have to be favoring the axis on the diplomacy table. Perhaps that is the problem?
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

I've had the British and French successfully intervene in the winter war with Russia a few times and that kills the Finish support as they go Allied and you have to spend on diplomacy to get them bac to Axis favored
The Land

Post by The Land »

ORIGINAL: Yohan

I've had the British and French successfully intervene in the winter war with Russia a few times and that kills the Finish support as they go Allied and you have to spend on diplomacy to get them bac to Axis favored

Yup, that's probably it - if the Allies ahistorically support Finland it ends up being more pro-Allied.

I wonder what will happen with this in multiplayer, though. Supporting Finland feels like a very good move for the Allies as you get two cheap Special Forces plus the diplomatic benefit. Will all Allied players do it?
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: The Land

Yup, that's probably it - if the Allies ahistorically support Finland it ends up being more pro-Allied.

I wonder what will happen with this in multiplayer, though. Supporting Finland feels like a very good move for the Allies as you get two cheap Special Forces plus the diplomatic benefit. Will all Allied players do it?

yep, at the moment its a ridiculously one sided option. Ok you annoy the Soviets but vs the AI you know that is not going to matter. In a PBEM I guess a German player could try to exploit that to create the space for a SeaLion but I think the event needs to be rebalanced
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Reduced Soviet mobilization means reduced Soviet MPP earning. That has to be factored by the Axis and the Allies in making decisions.
Anyone examined the total cost in that sense? How many MPP per Soviet (and US) mobilization point?
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

The actual cost is very high when you consider that lowered USSR MPP stemming from these mobilization events means talking longer to research infantry tech and industrial tech. Oppurtunity cost is much higher then actual lost MPP.
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

ILCK

Post by ILCK »

ORIGINAL: loki100

yep, at the moment its a ridiculously one sided option. Ok you annoy the Soviets but vs the AI you know that is not going to matter. In a PBEM I guess a German player could try to exploit that to create the space for a SeaLion but I think the event needs to be rebalanced

The real kicker is letting those units go to Norway and, almost always, seize Narvik and create an easy bridge head for the U.K. To retake Norway.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

When playing the Allied side, I've never taken the option to Support Finland in their war against Russia as personally it seems like a bad move that would put the UK and France at war with Russia. When playing the Axis I've never seen it be successful. So I don't know what the effects are. The manual says:
It costs 50 MPP's each to the UK and France.
A 50% chance of preventing the Soviets from gaining Finnish territory and the USSR will move 4-6% towards the Axis.
If successful, France and the UK would both gain 500 National Morale points.
If successful, Finland will swing 25-35% towards the Allies.
If successful, the expedition will return to Scotland, giving the Allies two Special Forces units and the opportunity to land them at Narvik by DE.

So, if taken and successful, it costs the Allies 100 MPP's to keep the Soviets from gaining Finn territory while the Allies gain 500 NM points, two units and an opportunity to attack Narvik, and will swing Finland 25-35% to the Allies [disadvantage Germany].
The only downside is Russia will swing 4-6% to the Axis.

Based on this I think I would agree with loki100 that it is a one sided option, because the 4-6% Soviet swing represents less than one turn of mobilization [I'm pretty sure].

So, historically what does anyone think would happen if the Soviets found themselves fighting British and French units in Finland ? Historically, Russia was allied with no one at the time, had a pact with Germany, was constantly blocked by western powers in their attempts at expansion, and was being given territory by German politics. Seems like a real bees nest [X(]
The Land

Post by The Land »

ORIGINAL: crispy131313

The actual cost is very high when you consider that lowered USSR MPP stemming from these mobilization events means talking longer to research infantry tech and industrial tech. Oppurtunity cost is much higher then actual lost MPP.

I confess I don't really understand how the diplomacy % affects industrial production - do you happen to know what the MPP cost of a 4-6% move towards the Axis would be?

I agree with you that Soviet MPPs are more valuable before mobilisation, so the effects will be bigger than the direct MPP figure suggests.
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

ORIGINAL: crispy131313

I confess I don't really understand how the diplomacy % affects industrial production - do you happen to know what the MPP cost of a 4-6% move towards the Axis would be?

I agree with you that Soviet MPPs are more valuable before mobilisation, so the effects will be bigger than the direct MPP figure suggests.

I don't know the exact cost but the current game I'm playing I had roughly 40 MPP per turn reduce to 20 MPP because of some mobilization events which meant it took me 20 turns to invest a chit in each of infantry and industry instead of 10 turns. Which is significant in the early game for USSR.
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

Seminole

Post by Seminole »

MPP Collection = Total Resource Value * Industrial Modifier * Mobilization Value

It's going to vary slightly based on whether USSR seizes the Baltics and their level of Industrial Production tech level, but the important thing to factor is that the 'price' of reduced income due to mobilization decrease is paid each turn until they get to 100%

Maybe worth the price, especially if it keeps Finland out of the war or compels the Axis to spend on diplomacy to offset.

On the subject of Finland, if the Soviets win the Winter War and get Hanko, that's a helluva back door into Finland. While the Russians are limited in transports, they can immediately unload and thus are not really restricted to 2 in any given turn.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”