PBEM Rhino AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Ardi

PBEM Rhino AAR

Post by Ardi »

MikeJ19 AARs were quite inspiring, and since I've recently started to play FCRS again, I decided to make one as well and probably more if I have more PBEM games.

So here I played as the British player. Intel showed me that opposing force seems to be a tank regiment, lacking artillery support, but having a helicopter one.

Main route of advance on this map is quite predictable I believe, since it gives the possibility of fast but covered advance. Hill to the north of Eicken is heavily forested and while it gives Soviets the ability to close the distance, it on the other hand gives British time to regroup and face the advance in urban areas with infantry supported by tanks. In the north-east, in Buer, there is a need to advance through city, with possibly destroyed bridges, and then through the open area on the hills - and then Soviets will still be far from thei objectives. Same on the south but with a lot of open ground. But nothing can be excluded completely and I also expected at leas some kind of secondary attack to find a gap in my defence and wreck my rear, possibly catching my reinforcments in close combat.

My initial setup was:
1 Tank Coy - 4x3 Chieftain + 1x2 Chieftains in HQ + 1x2 Rapier
1 MechInf Coy - 3x4 Warrior+Mechinf + 1 2-inch Mortar platoon + 1 HQ with 2 MG sections (all on Warriors)
Arty - 2x4 105mm Abbot + HQ
Mortars - 1x3 106mm (I believe) Mortars (also 1x3 arrived later) + HQ
AT - 1 Milan platoon (5 Milan on 3 Warriors) + HQ
Recce - 4x2 Scorpions + HQ

So I've split my forces in 4 parts

Tank line - 3 Tank platoons, and Tank HQ a bit behind - to cover Melle and defend the road from Eicken (the most dangerous pont since it's the easiest for Soviets to go into close fight where they excel. I believe I've still underestimated the danger, but I've relied heavily on smoke screen and thermal optics of my tanks)
Eastern flank - 1 Inf platoon, 1 Tank platoon and mortar HQ (to blow bridges (marked by blue stars) - to stop advance through Buer and spot any attempts to go north or south of it.
Southern flank - 1 Inf platoon, to be reinforced - defend routhe through Ausbergen, spot any advance in the east.
Main Infantry force - actually there was only 1 infantry and 1 Milan platoon, all other forces being HQs, but since they had Warriors as transport, I believed they could be useful at defending urban ground at least from motorized rifle troops. These are to defend the main objectives - crossing points at Wennigsen.

Recon units were sent forward. Their positions are marked with blue triangles. Also 4th recon section was sent far south.

Reinforcements.
2 Tank Coy (around 40 and 70 min from the start of the game) - 4x3 Challenger + 1x2 Challenger HQ + 1x2 Tracked Rapier each
1 MechInf Coy (around 100 min) - 3x4 Warrior+Mechinf + 1 2-inch Mortar platoon + 1 HQ with 2 MG sections (all on Warriors)
AT (60 and 120 min (?)- 2x2 Spartan MCT
Air (180 min) - 1x2 Tornado with 1000lb bombs, to be available for and hour and half (so max 3 airstrike attemps at best, more likely 2)

1st Chally Coy - to reinforce the Cheftain line
2nd Chally Coy - to act as a reserve force
MechInf Coy - to plug the holes in the line (1 Plt to southern flank, 1 Plt to tank line, remaining force to spread around Oldendorf to cover the approach from the hill)
AT - to reinforce where necessary.

Main idea - considering low speed of British tanks, I've decided to take the most reliable positions not far from my initial deployment and not to protect the Laerbach crossing beside covering it with tank fire. Reason - not to face Soviet tanks in close combat. At least not while being on the move.

Tank line is to contain the advance throgh the Melle and Eicken, if they are owerwhelmed, reserve Tank coy will take positions to the north, in Fockinghausen, or advance to the south, depending on situation while infantry will hold Wennigsen, forming second line of defence. In case of attack from the north-east, reserve company is to be deployed on the hills to the west of Buer. If there is heavy push from the south - rush the tanks (at least the reserve coy) to Wenningsen and form a defence line. Use of defensive smoke is essential, since all my tanks have thermal optics, which Soviets lack.

Attachments
RhinovAr..rn0012.jpg
RhinovAr..rn0012.jpg (660.05 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Ardi

RE: PBEM Rhino AAR

Post by Ardi »

First engagement with Hinds in the Eastern flank zone. 1 Warrior destroyed, and tank platoon stopped to take defensive positions few hundred meteres from the south-eastern edge of the town, where they were ordered to go at first. This was a severe delay which bounced back later. In the Eicken Scorpions destroyed 2 recon BRDM's. First bridge in the Buer is blown and reinforcements are arriving.

Attachments
RhinovAr..rn0031.jpg
RhinovAr..rn0031.jpg (856.4 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

Delayed Chieftains finally went on their positions just to face full tank battalion of T-80s, with lead company being 400-500 meters from them. Still Brits managed to get the first volley, destroying 5 T-80 while losing 2 tanks. Last Chieftain manage to destroy 3 tanks in a row, but it finally goes down too. All exchange went in couple of minutes, so there was no hope for smoke. Still in these circumstances exchange was favorable. Reserve Chally company was shifted to the positions in the east to face this attacks.

Motorized rifle formations were spotted in the south. Recce to the west of Laerbach went to blow bridges. Spartan MCT section was ordered to move east of Wennigsen. Scorpion sections int Eicked destroyed by tanks, but I've underestimated the speed of advance and didn't lay a preemptive smoke...

Attachments
RhinovAr..rn0051.jpg
RhinovAr..rn0051.jpg (857.66 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

In the middle – exchange 6 T-80 vs 3 Chally and 3 Chieftains. Smoke too late again. All AT moved in the middle. 2nd chally coy deployed on the east.

...and payed dearly for it! 2 companies of T-80s, even on the move, managed to wreck my tanks on forward positions in 3-4 minutes, though we traded equally, 6 to 6. Still not the numbers I wanted to see. Hastily ordered smoke was too late again. Though it probably wouldn't help much since there were BRM-1s to spot.

Attachments
RhinovAr..rn0071.jpg
RhinovAr..rn0071.jpg (849.48 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

Carnage in the middle continues. Another formation is spotted in Melle, indicating that there are at least 2 tank battalions advancing. Smoke almost too late, and it manages to cover only one Challenger. Trade is still not very good, 6 Brirish tank (4 Chieftains and 2 Challys) against 8 Soviet. But now their pace of advance is slowed down and we have the chance to lay tons of smoke. Recce section from the hill tried to sneach in the rear of advance, but was destroyed by the tank of one of the Soviet battalion commanders. Another recce section managed to blow bridge through Laerbach, and retreated to the south-west.

In the east one tank company appeared in the south of Buer at the same time as I ordered my infantry to move south. My platoon lost 1 squad and a Warrior, and were forced to dig in. Since tanks were still there, I kept the 2nd Chally company position. Also Warrios form Buer managed to take down 1 Hind with Rardens.

In the south I was able to land some good hits with Abbots on motorized troops (3 apc, 3 inf, 1 HQ killed). Motorized infantry moved to the south, beyond my LOS.

Attachments
RhinovAr..rn0091.jpg
RhinovAr..rn0091.jpg (837.84 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

Heavy tank combat, unfavorable for Soviets. Smoke screens were landing, and though I lost 4 tanks, including last Chieftain platoon, I destroyed around 12-14 enemy tanks in return. Tried aircraft strike as well, but lost 1 plane to AA as they withdrew without any bombing. One Soviet company managed to move on the hill though. In the south there was a shootout between Recce and MRB, traded Recce Section for 1 BMP

Attachments
RhinovAr..rn0131.jpg
RhinovAr..rn0131.jpg (816.13 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

Tank company on highround received heavy casualties from fire from every single angle, though they managed to take one Chally and couple of Warriors with them. Remnants of the company hastily withdrew east. The tank company near Buer was finally hit by a Tornado, losing 4 tanks, and retreated. Recce troop managed to get into the rear and spot AA and HQ. Didn’t manage to score any kills, but these were hit by arty (something in AA battery was destroyed). Wanted to move one Chally platoon from 2nd Coy on the southern edge of the hill north of Eicken, but remembered about helos.

Attachments
RhinovAr..rn0171.jpg
RhinovAr..rn0171.jpg (854.8 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

After that there was basically no action untill the end of the game. I'll post the complete result tomorrow, as well as my thoughts about this game.
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Hi Ardi,

Neat AAR and looks like a fun scenario. I like your posts.

The battle around Melle was deadly.

Look forward to seeing your results and your thoughts about the game!

I really enjoy seeing how different players tackle these scenarios - gives me different ideas.

Have a good day,

Mike
Mike

Retired Gunner
Enigma6584

Post by Enigma6584 »

Great AAR! Looking forward to see what happens next. Excellent use of screenshots.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

great report. Seems you had the usual problem with the British. There are weapons/unit combinations missing from the ToE (cf the Americans) and you really need to get into good defensive positions before the action starts.

I've only tried this scenario vs AI and decided the best solution was to defend deep and worry about the lost objectives if I managed to stall the Soviet attack.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Loki100, what do we have missing from the ToE? Or is it missing units from a stand OOB? Always happy to fix data errors when we can find them. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Loki100, what do we have missing from the ToE? Or is it missing units from a stand OOB? Always happy to fix data errors when we can find them. [8D]

No the comment wasn't about an inaccurate ToE, more a reflection that the BAOR was left with gaps in its weapons systems due to budget constraints and, at this time, the enduring demand for basic infantry work in Northern Ireland. The latter distorted training and experience as it led to a focus on small squad action in urban areas with an uncertain foe. Not the best preparation for combined arms warfare against the Warsaw Pact.

As far as I know, the ToE accurately captures this. If you use the BAOR as it planned to deploy (ie the Soviets co-operate) then you have a near unbreachable defensive line. Get forced into a battle of movement and you are going to lose.
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

Sorry for the dealy. Here is the final screen.

Attachments
RhinovAr..6HFinal.jpg
RhinovAr..6HFinal.jpg (860.86 KiB) Viewed 252 times
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

Losses for both side and a result.

Attachments
Finalresult.jpg
Finalresult.jpg (242.68 KiB) Viewed 252 times
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

Some thoughts:

1. To think of it, I'm not completely satisfied with positioning of my reserves. 2nd Chally Coy, though effectively preventing Soviets from attacking through Buer, will have difficulties if Buer attack is just a decoy (as it was later in this game). In this game whole company claimed only 2(!) recon units. It also would be definetly slow to react, if Soviets commenced the push from the south. Same can be said about 2nd Inf Coy, which could be concentrated more heavily near Wennigsen. Tank reserves probably could be deployed around Fockinghausen. In case of major Soviet breackthrough in the north other forces would have time to pull out and reinforce the northern line of defence, and also it gives much more room to manuever and tanks in that position can easily move forward to the line of towns to the south of Oldendorf, or to the south, to Wennigsen.

2. Same goes for AA. Even in the way I've played the scenario I should have deployed 1 Rapier section in Wennigsen, since any heli assault from the south would face only Rarden guns of the Warriors.

3. Due to these mistakes I believe that the Soviet player could win this scenario though front assault through Melle to Wennigsen would be very difficult. What could be done realistically in the scenario presented is to shift at least 2 Tank companies to the south and together with Hinds try to conduct the heavy assault on the Wennigsen from the south. I don't know if he knew about AA locations (though at least 1 Rapier section from the north fired on the Hinds), but he definetly saw a lot of tanks in the middle and to the north, which should have given him a hint that south side is unprotected. Or he could have used the motorized riflemen to help advancing in the middle. The main mistakes for Soviet player, IMHO, were:
1) Using whole motorized rifle battalion in BMP just to capture and hold one 1500 point location.
2) Unwillingness to risk his Hinds. I was shocked to see that there were 12 of them. This was really quite fearsome force.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

@loki100 - I see. Been a long week. Thanks for the explanation. I also agree. The Brits are harder to play than the US and WG forces with those missing systems. You really have to play a more conservative approach.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

Great AAR, I like reading them, well illustrated.
What I find especially interesting is everyone has their own unique 'signature' tactics,
when reading the AAR's, I'd say to myself '..excellent move or DUH!! fatal mistake.
very analytical notes.
As for the Brits, I love em', I found the UK Battlegroup well balanced, but then play style is everything,
This is a great scenario, Soviet's don't get Arty but have Krokidils (Mi24's) & Sniper armed T80BVs.
Heia Safari
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Rhino is one of my favorites. I'm a huge fan of Meeting Engagements. The very style of combat that the initial phase of the war would have taken.

Meeting Engagements give the commander the most initiative and personal tactical options.

Glad the engagement played well for you.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

Most of the battles would have been meeting engagements, not just the initial phase. At least the Soviets thought so.
Indeed however, I like them as well, I just have too often a habit of placing my maps over existing NATO garrisons, so they typically all end up as "Red assaults Blue" scenarios.

Return to “After Action Report”