The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lokasenna

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Dirtnap86

I think there's a 1 day delay to simulate the ship being 'prepped and loaded' into an ARD. Things like the ARD being pumped out and the ship being shored up.

There is not, however since the ARD had Sys damage of 1 that had to be repaired first. ARDs will not do any repairs if they have any damage whatsoever.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

What aerial recon tactics are you conducting?

You'll remember that, right before Fun House, I stood down recon for a week. Then, as the ships were nearing Talaud, about 12 recon squadrons at Morotai started targeting enemy bases ringing the Sulu Sea. That was an effort at misdirecton.

Since then, recon has been searching "a day ahead" of each landing. Now that the landings are complete, I'm using them to check major enemy airfields and to keep track of enemy units on Luzon.

I'm wearing them out using them so much, but these early days that are probably leading to a major engagement are the most important.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I think your ARD is working and you'll see Flt damage of 64 next turn. I'd send the CVE to Sydney as soon as possible (maybe Flt below 30?) as I think it'll repair a lot faster there (plus you won't be able to fix the engine except at a shipyard).

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Notice that has an estimate of 120 days to repair the flotation damage, that is about 2 days per damage point.

Further, whatever formula is used, it's nonlinear. It takes a lot longer to repair point number 65 than it does for point 5, for example. Maybe Alfred has details on this. I did a "back of the envelope" calculation based on a badly damaged BB at Pearl and came up with a formula. Didn't speed up the repairs but at least I wasn't quite so frustrated at the glacially slow progress. [;)]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: jwolf

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Notice that has an estimate of 120 days to repair the flotation damage, that is about 2 days per damage point.

Further, whatever formula is used, it's nonlinear. It takes a lot longer to repair point number 65 than it does for point 5, for example. Maybe Alfred has details on this. I did a "back of the envelope" calculation based on a badly damaged BB at Pearl and came up with a formula. Didn't speed up the repairs but at least I wasn't quite so frustrated at the glacially slow progress. [;)]

Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at earlier. Going from 65 to 64 seems to take longer than a lower damage point.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

"Two weeks.... your ship will be ready in two weeks."

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

I'm wearing them out using them so much, but these early days that are probably leading to a major engagement are the most important

True, the importance of recon/search as a foundation for all other decisions can be overlooked.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Chickenboy commented (in a lighthearted haiku in the War Room) about me having a "million and one" ships in a single hex. I know he's reading and posting in John's AAR.

His comment follows on one made by one of you guys in this thread, perhaps a page back, something to similar effect.

I take it that John or his readers must have an issue with keeping ships tightly together. I've never encountered this complaint before. I won't mention it to John unless he mentions it first.

I suppose I can understand where he's coming from - hey, taking on the Allies in '44 isn't easy. And it shouldn't be easy.

But I conserved my carriers carefully - oh, so carefully - throughout the game, banking against the day when I'd need to strike deep. Now I'm reaping that benefit while John is suffering the consequences of his reckless JEB Stuart ride in the Marshalls in September.

I wouldn't have to keep the Herd so tightly packed if not for a variety of things John takes advantage of: 24-hour carrier and combat ship movement without my ability to respond (that's just part of the game, but it makes it necessary for me to keep my ships protected); the ability to move Netties all across the map and then still strike together in a single day; a cohesive Japanese navy and army cooperating on strikes; etc.

Our beloved AE has many abstractions. As a result, I keep my fleet tightly together. So I ain't playing dumb and spreading them out to make it easier for him to attack.

John wouldn't be having this issue if he hadn't ridden around the Union army prior to Gettysburg.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Death Star is a mighty force, but I have nearly 30 carriers involved in other missions far away.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

4/8/44

It was a mostly quiet, really good day across the map. Not perfect - too many combatants are in close proximity to the enemy for things to go perfectly - but this was the kind of day that can result in winning wars. I'll post maps and details later, but to summarize:

Fun House: In the only blemish for the day, CA Chikuma TF hit Legaspi, sinking 20 barges created to distribute supply. I hate losing the supply (assuming they got some loaded first), but it's interesting that John committed Chikuma in dangerous waters. I keep thinking his capital ships are too scarce for him to take chances with, so this reveals a lot about his mindset.

To balance the scales a bit, Allied subs sank an xAK (carrying troops, near Manila) and two xAKLs. My submarines have sunk a lot of enemy merchants since Fun House opened.

At Naga, the Allied Army knocked aside a modest enemy army that includes 51 AV of 21st Division. Tanks are in pursuit and will attack in the adjacent hex tomorrow. So the Allies now have Naga and it's level three airfield and port. Most importantly, Naga is only open to sea bombardment from the east (I believe), which is open sea and offers less concealment. Legaspi is open from both sides and is tougher to defend. Legaspi airfield jumpted from 2.05 to 2.89 today. So, by tomorrow, I'll have two level three airfields, plenty of supply, lots of aviation support, and lots of good fighter units - they're transferring in from the DEI and from Burma.

The LST resupply mission to Samar went well. The two Australian divisions on that island have enough supply to stand strong in the short term (a week or two). I can't see how John would invade jungle hexes occupied by a division each unless he has time to bombard with his BBs. And to do that, he has to expose them to attack.

No major action against Death Star and the Herd. The Allied army will probably move up the peninsula to take Atimonan, though I'm briefly considering whether that's a good move. John has a division in the hex east (or SE) of Manila. He's bringing in lots of reinforcements. He should, of course. But if I play this right, I think Luzon turns into efficient killing fields at some point, perhaps a month or two off. I need time to build those big bases...and I need to either defeat KB or maintain the current carrier ratio.

KB: No sign of it. John's probably doing the right thing here, keeping his carriers hidden until he finds the right opportunity to attack. But it's Rock. Papers. Scissors. Delay works in my favor.

DEI: 7th Australian Division is arriving in bits and pieces every day, after making the long journey from the Marshalls. This division didn't quite make it in time for Fun House. Its three RCT were prepped for bases at the southern end. Most of these are strongly defended. So I need to come up with a new prep target.

Pacific: A USN RCT assaults a weakly defended Tabituea, driving forts from six to two. This base will fall tomorrow. Ordinarily, I'd say there's no way an IJ player would worry about these little island-plucking operations given what's going on in the Philippines, but this is John III. I have to guard against enemy combat ships and even carriers. The objective is to begin shortening the LOC between Hawaii/West Coast and Oz.

Burma: A UK brigade knocked a small IJ base force out of the hex south of Prome, which is now cut off from Rangoon. So John's MLR has been flanked, but not in such a way as to be decisive yet.

Here and There: A lot of things going on everywhere, mainly in-sexy logistics. Eventually things will come together in ways that will benefit Fun House, directly or indirectly.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I mentioned the "stacking limits for ships" notion as a sarcastic nudge at those who want to make rules every time something unusual happens. I agree completely with your tactics - to survive such a deep operation you need to keep your wagons circled. I hope the posts in the War Room did not reveal anything about your plans that are not already apparent!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The posts in the war room are fun Haikus written by a variety of folks about lighthearted things. I posted one about John III Mods. Inspired by that, Chickenboy wrote one about me cramming stuff in hexes. So there wasn't any discussion of strategy or details.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Not to mention... we can reasonably assume that a hex's side is about 20 nautical miles (in a hexagon, the length of a side is the same as the radius, although the radius is measured from one of the vertices to the center while movement in AE goes from side to side; so the 20 miles is actually a slight underestimate). This is important because side length is how you calculate area of a hexagon. With a side length of 20 miles, the area of a hex is about 1,040 square nautical miles. Even if you had 1 ship per square mile (1700+ yards) in a grid pattern, you could have over 1000 ships there.

Granted, sailing in such a formation for long distances is not really realistic, but so is a magical "cylinder" of CAP that ends exactly at the imaginary plane extending upwards from the border of the hex. But there's no question that you could fit over 1000 ships in such a space in real life.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

4/8/44

Fun House.

Attachments
040844FunHouse.jpg
040844FunHouse.jpg (798.89 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You can plan for Legaspi at level 4 in 3 days: it will get to level 3 tomorrow, 3 plus a significant chunk the day after, and level 4 on the day after that.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Looks like you had a unit or two pursuing the IJA you kicked out of Naga. What is the relative strength of your forces versus his?
Do you whack him once more before retiring or are you worried about troops from Atimonan reaching the hex next turn?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

"Atimonan is weakly held at the moment But I am not sending my army up there"

Looks like Mark Clark is in charge
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

The only reason I can think you wouldn't move on Antimonan is that you want him to move forward in force and then use your carrier and naval superiority to land behind him and trap a sizeable army between Manila and Legaspi/Naga. The narrow nature of the southern section of the island does give quite a few opportunities to do this.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Well, you guys know me by now. I'm not a details guy and I like to play a very conservative game, taking no chances, advancing methodically.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Looks like you had a unit or two pursuing the IJA you kicked out of Naga. What is the relative strength of your forces versus his?
Do you whack him once more before retiring or are you worried about troops from Atimonan reaching the hex next turn?

Last turn, I set a tank battalion and tank destroyer battalion to follow. They'll attack tomorrow, mainly because I want to rough up the 21st Div. contingent as much as possible. (Roughing up major enemy units is now a priority.)

At the time I set them to follow, I planned to send my army up to Atimonan. I've decided not to, but I still set the big infantry units to march, just in case I change my mind in the next turn or two.

One of the other gents posted about the possibility of landing behind John's army. Yes, that's something I'm considering (I mentioned it several posts back). In fact, while on another mountain hike today, I seriously mulled over designation 7th Australian Div. (and excellent unit just now arriving in the DEI) to prep for Altimonan on the possibility of a future amphibious op. But John will probably take steps to guard against such a move, so it may be better to prep somewhere much further up, like Aparri.

I'm trying to cycle through options so that I have notions of what to do when the picture clears, but nothing major is going to happen short term unless I win a big carrier battle. Short term, protecting Death Star and building bases is Job One.

Return to “After Action Reports”