Naval and Defense News

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Primarchx

RE: Naval and Defense News

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: Hongjian
Bolton also noted that the stationing of U.S. military personnel in Taiwan could help alleviate other problems in East Asia

Holy crap.
That's, like, the worst offense you can commit in China's eyes. They can accept literally everything, even that SCS island blockade - but US troops in Taiwan would instantly prompt war. That's not even funny. That's Cuba-crisis-like sort of unfunny.

Would Taiwan actually allow it? It would be highly provocative from their POV of relations to the PRC as well. However it would show China that just because they say/want something doesn't automatically make it true.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Strickly speaking Taiwan is a sovereign nation and can do whatever it wants although it should be acting in its own best interest. I know China doesn't recognize Taiwan sovereignty but so what. The ground truth is what matters.

My worry is it just looks like the US and allies are containing China by beefing up the first island chain. That might not actually be the intent but appearances are everything these days.

Mike

mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: strykerpsg

ORIGINAL: navyrecognition

our last SNA 2017 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNln7gS4QQ

In this video, coverage of:
- Boeing Harpoon ER anti-ship missile

Nice video! Question about the Harpoon ER, are they only extending it's range? While the added range is nice, it needs some added stealth characteristics to be competitive with the likes of NSM.

Yeah that is my sense too or need to carry and fire bigger salvos of them.

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Dysta

It's simply too risky to proliferate nuclear arsenal in the future, and cannot equalize the measure by destroying the world.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/xi-calls-worl ... 58713.html
"Nuclear weapons should be completely prohibited and destroyed over time to make the world free of nuclear weapons,"

Also a scenario opportunity:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/0 ... es-taiwan/
http://3g.china.com/act/military/111327 ... 88894.html (Simplified Chinese, with short note of "this can be an act of war.")
In a commentary published Tuesday in The Wall Street Journal likely to stoke anger in China, Bolton said Washington “could enhance its East Asia military posture by increasing U.S. military sales to Taiwan and by again stationing military personnel and assets there.”

In the commentary, Bolton also noted that the stationing of U.S. military personnel in Taiwan could help alleviate other problems in East Asia, including in Okinawa Prefecture, which hosts the bulk of U.S. forces in Japan.

You're going to find a ton of public statements made during this past election that won't survive first contact with the job.

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Looks familiar.

From a db standpoint its getting very difficult to track so many new platforms world wide. At the end of the day though you release that modeling the capability is much more reachable that exact fuel consumption rates[:)]

Mike
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Live fire today:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/19 ... libya.html

The assault killed an estimated 85 terrorists ...
The bombers took off from their permanent base in Missouri and refueled at least five times midair during the mission. The planes flew around the world and back without landing. The strikes used strategic nuclear-capable bombers as opposed to more conventional jets stationed in England in order to "send a strategic message" to other adversaries such as Russia and China.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Live fire today:

The bombers took off from their permanent base in Missouri and refueled at least five times midair during the mission. The planes flew around the world and back without landing. The strikes used strategic nuclear-capable bombers as opposed to more conventional jets stationed in England in order to "send a strategic message" to other adversaries such as Russia and China.

Interesting choice of which platforms to use. Wonder who they thought would tip off the camps with a more visible system? Another place that's turned messy politically.

Mike
strykerpsg

Post by strykerpsg »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

ORIGINAL: strykerpsg

ORIGINAL: navyrecognition

our last SNA 2017 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNln7gS4QQ

In this video, coverage of:
- Boeing Harpoon ER anti-ship missile

Nice video! Question about the Harpoon ER, are they only extending it's range? While the added range is nice, it needs some added stealth characteristics to be competitive with the likes of NSM.

Yeah that is my sense too or need to carry and fire bigger salvos of them.

Mike

Concur....it perhaps just provides existing customers with an extension on their current inventories, though sort of like putting a band aid on something that needs a tourniquet.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

IAF is starting to receive the Arrow 3 missile defense system capable of intercepting ICBMs outside of the atmosphere.
IAF Receives first Arrow 3 missile units
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Interesting choice of which platforms to use. Wonder who they thought would tip off the camps with a more visible system? Another place that's turned messy politically.

Mike

I guess it was a fail safe way to flatten real estate with little collateral risk to civilians or crews. The time on target effect - to use an old artillery phrase - was overwhelming. I read those that managed to escape the B2 attack were hunted down with drones. The nature of the attack sends message re: global capability as mentioned in the article. I would be interested in seeing the flight track after bombs away. Did the B2s wave over Tehran on the way home?
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

China recently deployed second OTH radar base at Inner Mongolia, emission bearing is due east, nearly covered the entire Japan.

http://3g.china.com/act/military/111327 ... 94046.html (Simplified Chinese)

Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

A good writeup about China's next gen missiles, including the PL-10, PL-15 and PL-X (Very Long Range AAM).

http://www.bestchinanews.com/Military/5680.html

An interesting and almost forgotten picture from years ago is also shown: A 300mm Ku-band AESA seeker.
The PL-X is in fact a 300mm diameter missile.

Some more information are revealed; such as the propable "N15 blended fuel (solid fuel mix)" as propellant, which is already used in other chinese tactical missiles.

Most interestingly, it states the difference in rocket propulsion between the PL-15 and PL-X, with the PL-15 being a dual-pulse rocket engine, while the PL-X is multi-pulse, meaning that it might have more than two stages inside.

A research paper excerpt showing a multi-stage rocket engine for an air-to-air missile:

This, in the end, correlates with the rumor that Chinese missile development has completely abandoned the earlier Ramjet designs in favor for multi-pulse rockets. According to an article, ramjets suffer from burn out and higher velocity drop than conventional rocket engines. The developmental charts showing the PL-21 long range ramjet missile might be the previous iteration of the PL-X. So, in fact the PL-X that now has been spotted onboard an operational J-11B during last-year Red Sword Excercise, might be the long rumored PL-21.
Eggstor

Post by Eggstor »

Live fire today:

Mike
I don't think the use of stealth was necessary for the actual mission. Rather, it was an integral part of the "message" sent to the Russians and Chinese.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Translation: Anti Ship Ballistic Missile [censored part] Directly Hit The Target Ship

That would be the first ever photo evidence of the ASBM being tested against a ship.

I think they most probably used an inert warhead, or else, there wouldnt be anything left to analyze.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Eggstor

Live fire today:

Mike
I don't think the use of stealth was necessary for the actual mission. Rather, it was an integral part of the "message" sent to the Russians and Chinese.

Its not really them I'm thinking of. The alliances between the different factions within the Libyan government and various middle eastern nations is a tangled web. Perhaps Homeland coming back on is messing with my perceptions but you do wonder who's really pulling for who.

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Hongjian

A good writeup about China's next gen missiles, including the PL-10, PL-15 and PL-X (Very Long Range AAM).

http://www.bestchinanews.com/Military/5680.html

An interesting and almost forgotten picture from years ago is also shown: A 300mm Ku-band AESA seeker.
The PL-X is in fact a 300mm diameter missile.

Some more information are revealed; such as the propable "N15 blended fuel (solid fuel mix)" as propellant, which is already used in other chinese tactical missiles.

Most interestingly, it states the difference in rocket propulsion between the PL-15 and PL-X, with the PL-15 being a dual-pulse rocket engine, while the PL-X is multi-pulse, meaning that it might have more than two stages inside.

A research paper excerpt showing a multi-stage rocket engine for an air-to-air missile:

This, in the end, correlates with the rumor that Chinese missile development has completely abandoned the earlier Ramjet designs in favor for multi-pulse rockets. According to an article, ramjets suffer from burn out and higher velocity drop than conventional rocket engines. The developmental charts showing the PL-21 long range ramjet missile might be the previous iteration of the PL-X. So, in fact the PL-X that now has been spotted onboard an operational J-11B during last-year Red Sword Excercise, might be the long rumored PL-21.

Thanks I've added the PL-15 although the evidence is somewhat slim. PL-21 is probably a ways off.

Do you know of any recent photos of the the PL-15?

Mike
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

The most recent photo of the PL-15 is very bad quality/censored one, but might confirm that the J-10B/C has the capability to carry it now:

My guess is that the PL-10/PL-15/PL-21 development schedule has closely followed this previously known chart: The dates do make sense, especially with the PL-10, which was spotted first (in 2011, onboard J-20 prototype #2002). The confusing part now is that most next gen missiles depicted on that chart now look quite different in reality - even the PL-10 does, which is still the closest one as on the chart (note the rear fins):

In case of the PL-10, we actually have evidence that the earlier prototypes of that missile indeed looked closer to that one depicted on the chart:
^note the "conventional" shape of the rear fin - which looks close to that in the chart, and compare it to the PL-10E, the export version of the final production variant:

So, my argument is that; just like the PL-10 had, all other next gen missiles have undergone partly radical changes in the developmental road - but in the end all more or less ended up in service by the time depicted plus/minus a few years: The PL-12D ramjet PL-12 has evolved into the PL-15 after giving up the ramjet in favor for dual-pulse rocket engine, the PL-21 ramjet powered "large missile" also ended up shedding the ramjet design to become the "PL-x" we have spotted onboard the J-16/J-11B etc. Latter missile, since it was spotted onboard an operaional J-11B Flanker during Red Sword Excercise on last year, has some credibility that it might be already in at least limited service or IOC, since it took part in a major confrontational excercise.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yeah what I did is added the PL-10 as the standard short range AAW missile for most PLAAF fighters and created separate PL-15 and PL-12 to handle long range stuff. From what I read this is mostly likely during that period as very few PL-15 will be bought. I also converted the SU-30MK PLAAF over to mostly Chinese weapons. I also added the KG-600 DECM pod to most PLAAF aircraft. That sound about right?

The PLAN is still a great mystery so I've left them alone so far. I haven't found much evidence of PL-10 or 15 integration. Any idea?

Mike

Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Hell, another PL-X leak just found in the forums. Oboard a J-11BS (Su-27UBK twin seat trainer). [X(]

Someone seems to be preparing for a major unveil or something. Chain-leaks of this kind are rare.
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

With respect to the use of B-2s in Libya yesterday, WSJ has a "military official" on record saying that the ability to carry large numbers of weapons and loiter for a significant amount of time was the reason it was selected. The B-1 can't carry as many weapons as the B-2, and using F-15Es out of Lakenheath would have taken 12+ aircraft to get the weapons down to Libya, and would have been more fuel challenged and required more tanker support.

On anything that John Bolton says...he's on the far right of the neo-conservative movement. He's been calling for the US to bomb Iran for years, among other positions that advocate use of the US military and hard-power. While he will certainly have a louder voice in the new administration, I suspect the pragmatists in State and DoD will moderate the administration's actions significantly.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”