Best use of Romanian Cavalry

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

wga8888

Best use of Romanian Cavalry

Post by wga8888 »

its turn 16 and I now have 6 Ro cavalry brigades in the Ro Cav Corps. Combined they are only 6 cv and although have high MP due to being Calvary, as bridges the play the movement penalties. Are they best used as combat units, city garrisons, or a reaction force for any soviet penetrations, assuming they are in the southern zone?
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Telemecus

RE: Best use of Romanian Cavalry

Post by Telemecus »

i)For the first few turns you do not need many garrisons so of course it is everybody to the front.
ii)From when you need garrison units (you have used all the security, minor allied infantry already) then use them to garrison, preferably as far west as possible with the mountain units to maximise their replacement multipliers etc. In spite of their higher MP allowances their lower morale and brigade size means they spend many more MPs travelling in to enemy held hexes and so are less mobile in fact than German infantry.
iii) During blizzard you should not need them to garrison as you can use motorised\elite German infantry to garrison instead- assuming you have pulled them out of the front line to avoid blizzard penalties. They are very useful as reaction forces as they then have largest MP allowances and are travelling mostly on friendly controlled hexes where they suffer no morale/brigade movement penalties. Or put them under an HQ of a critical sector 1 hex to the rear - being brigade size they are more likely to be activated from reserve status. Some minor axis brigades have more troops than a division, but still only need 1 CP from the HQ. Indeed I often put them under control of my best generals, which usually means as part of a German Panzer Corps. Or else put them where you are digging forts. Ideally combine all three.
iv) During late blizzard\ winter bring them to combat. They will have or be about to be upgraded to divisions. (Spend the admin point changing its HQ then rather than many admin points after as a division.) If the front has stabilised you do not need reaction or defensive reserve forces. And if you are returning them to garrisons after winter you may as well use any combat ability they have rather than leaving it moribund for the rest of the year. At this point I am usually combining them with mountain units in local attacks and using my new Rumanian cavalry divisions to flip control of a hex or two after any wins. If I have ground to give I would prefer my minor allies to be in combat than my German units as they are closer to the lower morale limits beyond which blizzard penalties do not apply, and because using them as garrisons after winter will leave them a whole year to recover.
v) After winter return your now unready or depleted Rumanian cavalry to garrison duty and\or partisan chasing using the rest of the year for replacements, building morale back up, getting a tan etc.
vi) Repeat

As for the cavalry corps I would put a German infantry division under its control and put the HQ on top. A Rumanian general with no range modifier has better ratings checks than a German with, wins improve the morale of the Rumanian SUs and ratings of the Corps and higher commanders. Don't leave an HQ wasted on commanding garrisons.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
SheperdN7

RE: Best use of Romanian Cavalry

Post by SheperdN7 »

I only use them for reserves as their MP is high in friendly territory so they are good to lend support in a reserve role. Same as the Axis allied Armoured Corps, only purpose is for mobile reserves (IMHO)
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

Return to “The War Room”