Local Weather Fronts

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Peter66

Local Weather Fronts

Post by Peter66 »

After getting some feedback on this I decided to give it to the community as-is. It's not perfect and it's very much "what you see is what you get". Perhaps other scenario authors can make use of the idea or make adjustments.

So here it is, local weather front. What does it show? Go to play the scenario in the Editor. Select the player and either navigate your LCS in to the weather shown, or wait for it to arrive. The weather moves on it's own and on it's own semi random course. When you are in the weather (side activated) the weather changes, when you are out of it it goes back to a standard weather template.

Notes for scenario authors:

It works on a very simple system but it works with side only, for balancing reasons. Due to this it is best to have only one local weather front at a time. For example a 200-400nm cloud cover etc.

What if I want to create multiple weather patterns does that mean I can only have one? Nope, it just means you can only have one active at a time. What I did was make several weather patterns (Clouds, Rain, Storm) and placed them far far away (the poles for me). Then when you want them to arrive teleport the existing front to the poles, and move the new one to where it needs to be.

Here's the actual nitty gritty of how I achieved this, it's nothing special at all but it gets the job done.
Side called "weather"
A whale
Reference points in the shape of your weather, better if it's abstract.
Place whale somewhere in the RP's, best if it's near a corner but not in the corner.
Set RP's to rotate with whale.
Tell whale to go on SCP around weather location (where you want the weather to go).

Switch to player side and make sure you add RP's same as whale's. To do this I placed aircraft on top of RP's and paused scenario, switched and turned god view on. Deleted aircraft afterwards.

Rename RP's to weather type or description etc. In my scenario file here it's very basic description.

Make event:
Time/Random Time
Teleport whale via lua
Add whale to SCP via lua

Make another two events:
Player in weather area. (change weather via lua)
Player not in weather area. (change weather via lua)

Hit play and enjoy results. The more effort you put in the more weather options you get and the more fine tuned results you get.

For more realism and less lonely whale. Add more whales (they need friends/mates). Single whale draws suspicion from sonar operators who possibly believe it's a spy, false contact or new theoretical submarine posing as a whale.
Attachments
localweather.zip
(17.22 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
"Is game hard to pick up?" <- easier to pick up than most women.
kevinkins

RE: Local Weather Fronts

Post by kevinkins »

Like the idea. Thanks for working out the details. I am researching a near future Baltic scenario. The environs lend themselves to flaky weather.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Peter66

After getting some feedback on this I decided to give it to the community as-is. It's not perfect and it's very much "what you see is what you get". Perhaps other scenario authors can make use of the idea or make adjustments.

So here it is, local weather front. What does it show? Go to play the scenario in the Editor. Select the player and either navigate your LCS in to the weather shown, or wait for it to arrive. The weather moves on it's own and on it's own semi random course. When you are in the weather (side activated) the weather changes, when you are out of it it goes back to a standard weather template.

Notes for scenario authors:

It works on a very simple system but it works with side only, for balancing reasons. Due to this it is best to have only one local weather front at a time. For example a 200-400nm cloud cover etc.

What if I want to create multiple weather patterns does that mean I can only have one? Nope, it just means you can only have one active at a time. What I did was make several weather patterns (Clouds, Rain, Storm) and placed them far far away (the poles for me). Then when you want them to arrive teleport the existing front to the poles, and move the new one to where it needs to be.

Here's the actual nitty gritty of how I achieved this, it's nothing special at all but it gets the job done.
Side called "weather"
A whale
Reference points in the shape of your weather, better if it's abstract.
Place whale somewhere in the RP's, best if it's near a corner but not in the corner.
Set RP's to rotate with whale.
Tell whale to go on SCP around weather location (where you want the weather to go).

Switch to player side and make sure you add RP's same as whale's. To do this I placed aircraft on top of RP's and paused scenario, switched and turned god view on. Deleted aircraft afterwards.

Rename RP's to weather type or description etc. In my scenario file here it's very basic description.

Make event:
Time/Random Time
Teleport whale via lua
Add whale to SCP via lua

Make another two events:
Player in weather area. (change weather via lua)
Player not in weather area. (change weather via lua)

Hit play and enjoy results. The more effort you put in the more weather options you get and the more fine tuned results you get.

For more realism and less lonely whale. Add more whales (they need friends/mates). Single whale draws suspicion from sonar operators who possibly believe it's a spy, false contact or new theoretical submarine posing as a whale.

One very stupid question. What's an RP?
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Reference Point.

In editor he use RPs to mark an areas for weather change triggers. Also RP can be renamed.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Dysta

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Reference Point.

In editor he use RPs to mark an areas for weather change triggers. Also RP can be renamed.

Off course it is I knew that, just testing.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”