Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dirtnap86

RE: An AE Whippersnapper Thread...

Post by Dirtnap86 »

Ah nice to see fellow HoI3 fans. I've got a buddy that swears by darkest hour, but it just doesn't do it for me. Personally, I like the Black Ice mod for HoI3.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: szmike

ORIGINAL: rustysi

are you my long lost brother I've never had? [;)]

[&:]

I'm usually against the world by myself when arguments are coming

Got it.[;)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Black Ice is the only way to play HOI3 IMO[:)]

Here's a good question-

Wargaming is more of a geezer activity....

So how did we all get hooked?[:D] Lets see some origin stories!

Mine is simple, first played "Command at Sea" then graduated to "Harpoon" when I was about seven then onto my first ever "Rise and Decline of the Third Reich" game when I was in my teens. Had and still have Dad guiding me every step of the way. And he was hooked into wargaming since he was a kid AS WELL as all of his friends and his brother, so it was a good situation for him. I only have him, my brother (so far only WITE but I'll get him one day" and every now and then one of my friends will give it a try only to be limited by the lack of knowledge in the background.

And everyone on here of course.
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
szmike

Post by szmike »

When living behind Iron Curtain wargaming was really limited, there were some hobbists releasing hex boardgames about historical Polish battles and I was drawn to them when I was about 12. Then it went downhill...
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

I was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps during the summer of 1973.

I got an early-out by about 100 days to attend college, the University of California at Santa Barbara where I met Capt. Haggard.

Capt. Haggard had just got out of the Navy.

Besides dragging me to The Idle Hour (a local neighborhood dive bar) every single night, he introduced me to hex board war games. Through the years, we've played numerous hex board war games. Capt. Haggard can provide a list of them for us.

I introduced Capt. Haggard to WITPAE. He commands my submarine fleet and mine type ships.

Best Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[&:]

I'm usually against the world by myself when arguments are coming

Got it.[;)]

rusty-

You remind me of Capt. Haggard.

Ask him about a class we had wherein he took on the professor and the entire class regarding the Internment of the Japanese on the West Coast of the US during WWII.

It is good that you can think for yourself.

Best Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

You guys are far too cheerful and polite to be posting in the Geezer thread ... GET OFF OUR LAWNS!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

It is good that you can think for yourself.

Not always. Gets me in trouble all too often. Higher ups frequently enjoy 'yes' men, could never do that.[8|]

Pfft, even in the game I can't follow the norm.[:D]

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

You guys are far too cheerful and polite to be posting in the Geezer thread ... GET OFF OUR LAWNS!

Hey, you're in the Whippersnapper Thread.[:D]

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

So how did we all get hooked? Lets see some origin stories!

Always loved history, especially when wrapped around war. I know, that inane feeling like watching a wreck. Well read some young, but not much. Rummaging around a local department store (~12 years old), find some Avalon Hill games. Friend buys D-Day, I buy Guadalcanal, done. Play, what really happened, read. Play, read, play, read... From there I never looked back. So ~50 years later still at it. Although there were times when it became limited due to RL.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Hey, you're in the Whippersnapper Thread.[:D]
OOOOPS - a little geezer confusion there .... and my dog left a present on your lawn. I'm outta here!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Dirtnap86

Post by Dirtnap86 »

*shakes fist cheekily*

It's alright BB, you're alright for an old man [:D]

As for how I got in to wargames...well I'm not exactly sure. I generally play more action-y oriented stuff, like DOOM, The Division, etc. or Multiplayer games, World of Tanks and Warships mostly. I do like strategy games though. I've got hundreds of hours clocked in the Civ games and almost as many in the Total War series.

A friend recommended Hearts of Iron III and after beating up the computer a few times I went looking for good mods for it. Black Ice is near and dear to my heart and I'm sad the team has moved on to HoI4.

But really, what got me into WitP:AE? A let's play.

I'm 3 months into a grand campaign and its...intense at times. Especially watching replays of a pair of four stackers cutting into an enemy transport fleet. I think they fired every single last piece of ammunition they carried, all the way down to their AAMGs.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

I am truly torn here evidently being the exact threshold cut off between "wippersnapper" and "geezer" (i.e. exactly 50)

[8D]

However, between 1984 / 88 while in University I discovered war gaming and of course the RPG genre (MERP, D&D) much to the detriment of my grades.

I really cut my teeth on the Avalon Hill games. Especially Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz and Arab Isreali Wars. Squad Leader less so.

Victory Games "Fleet series" became my mainstay.

I discovered "computerized war games" much later i.e. the old SSI Panzer General / Allied General / Pacific General.

I still have them on my hard drive. While I enjoyed them for a while once through "major victory" pretty much dooms their re-play-ability.

Took a 10 year hiatus somewhere in the late 1990s enforced by pre-teen dancing daughters and a spouse.

Took a detour through Neverwinter Nights / Dragon Age early in this 20 teens" decade but not really my main love. The RPG was okay.

And found this game "because of of a Facebook Algorithm" that suggested it to me. Who would have figured that. Facebook occasionally hits the spot or at least once before "fake news" [;)]

Had never even heard of the original version.
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5
I am truly torn here evidently being the exact threshold cut off between "wippersnapper" and "geezer" (i.e. exactly 50)
[8D]

In the same boat myself, but I've been telling jerks to get off my lawn since I was 30!![8|]

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Regarding HoI3, Black Ice is a weird mod with very strange combat modifiers. I don't know if I can call it good. The K/D ratios I was seeing when defending the river lines of France and Flanders were quite...crazy. I found DiDay's version of ICE to be a better mod.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
FlyByKnight

Post by FlyByKnight »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Ok here's a question- Am I truly the youngest member of this forum?

06/14/1997

If so, WHAT AN HONOUR[&o]

If not, I'd like to know who else is a fellow hashtagger and twittererer.[:D]
Nope.
It's nice to see several other Hearts of iron players here too. I loved the micromanaging aspect of 3, but the lack of realism in the Naval and air aspects were part of what increased my interest in games like War in the pacific.
Tell me, are any of you familiar with Darkest hour's Kaiserreich mod?
ORIGINAL: Big B

The obvious question is - "Will each shell do at least 0ne Million Dollars worth of damage?" If not, someone needs to look at this again and rethink it.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

As I got older

Return to “The War Room”