How does one invade Malta?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Malor

RE: How does one invade Malta?

Post by Malor »

The game lets you attack an occupied hex from sea via amphib assault, but the battle does not resolve to a "fight to the end result". It is simply another hex to hex attack with each unit taking loses as the random die rolls generate. Thus your attacking unit may lose 3 points and still be available at sea the next turn to try again, but unless you reduced supply, the defended will be able to replace any loses and be at full strength the next turn. So unless the amphib assault actually kills the defender, it's probably not worth it to try unless you want to throw multiple units into the attack. That method is probably not worth it either when it is less costly to eliminate the defender by air after supply is down to zero. Takes more time, but at a lessor cost if done correctly.
Steves762

Post by Steves762 »

Ok, that makes sense. But the problem I was having was I didn't even get the option to try to attack. I could attack Malta with the transport, but when I right-clicked on the transport, there was no option for the troops to attack or unload. When I turned the unit around and went back to Sicily, I was then given the option to unload. That's why I was confused. But I'm new to the game, so I still have a lot to learn about how it works ;^)
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

The attack with the transport IS the attack with the unit. I was confused by this my first time too. I'm curious if the attack strength varies with the unit loaded. I never checked. I know the amphibious research option increases attack strength.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Steves762

Ok, that makes sense. But the problem I was having was I didn't even get the option to try to attack. I could attack Malta with the transport, but when I right-clicked on the transport, there was no option for the troops to attack or unload. When I turned the unit around and went back to Sicily, I was then given the option to unload. That's why I was confused. But I'm new to the game, so I still have a lot to learn about how it works ;^)

Hope you are enjoying the game Steve, I am trying to understand about the transport comment, now I am sure there are people who understand this game better than I do, IMO you cannot attack a enemy hex from a transport even an empty one, so even if the AA unit on Malta was destroyed by tactical bombers, you must still invade that hex using amphibious assualt, or a Para drop from Sicily.

Bo
Steves762

Post by Steves762 »

Bo, when I say "transport" I meant the actual ship icon. From the manual:
"To help soften up the target before a landing is made, Amphibious Transports can themselves attack an enemy unit occupying a coastal hex, before the unit they are carrying is landed. This feature enables amphibious units to attack small defended islands, such as Malta".

I could do that, but I couldn't unload the actual unit, that was my original question. I did embark my corps as an amphibious transport, not a regular transport. So I guess my confusion is can an amphibious transport unload it's unit onto a hex that is occupied by an enemy unit and have the two fight it out for possession as they would any other hex?
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Steves762

Bo, when I say "transport" I meant the actual ship icon. From the manual:
"To help soften up the target before a landing is made, Amphibious Transports can themselves attack an enemy unit occupying a coastal hex, before the unit they are carrying is landed. This feature enables amphibious units to attack small defended islands, such as Malta".

I could do that, but I couldn't unload the actual unit, that was my original question. I did embark my corps as an amphibious transport, not a regular transport. So I guess my confusion is can an amphibious transport unload it's unit onto a hex that is occupied by an enemy unit and have the two fight it out for possession as they would any other hex?

My bad Steve, I misunderstood the word transport, so my best guess is you cannot land in the same hex as an enemy unit, I would like to see an airborne unit be able to land on top of a unit and fight it out though.

Bo
Malor

Post by Malor »

The AV transport can only unload on an empty hex but you can attack an occupied hex with it. IF the defender is destroyed or retreats, you can then land the same unit in the empty hex on the same turn if action points permit it. If the defender survives, you either attack with another unit or wait until next turn.

This functionality is the same as the ones used to resolve land and naval combats. In this game two units cannot occupy the same hex so you as attacker cannot move into a hex until the defender is destroyed or retreats.

Yes, it is actually that simple but it took be a few tries myself and a read through of the manual to figure that out. I too was expecting a fight to the death scenario when invading an occupied hex. I'm not sure I like the current method, but it is how the game was designed and the combat function is consistent everywhere. Any changes would probably not be possible without a lot of coding to rewrite combat functions.

I've learned that if I want to land a unit unopposed so it can be used to fight inland fast, that it is necessary to use air and naval first to weaken or destroy the defender. A weaken unit is easy to defeat or force retreat with a unit in AV mode, thus clearing the hex.

Another thing to remember is to attack with combat units. HQ, anti-air and artillery make more assault forces. [:-] Make sure that the unit you choose for the assault is actually a tank or infantry unit. In a sea of many AV units, it is easy to get confused as to what everything is so make sure to check the info panel at the bottom first. Ask me how I learned this. [:@]

Malor
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

It's like the first thing I put in that post. How'd you miss it, lol ?

Units conducting an Amphibious Assault cannot move onto Malta unless it is vacant. Paratroops cannot land on the hex unless it is vacant. In order to capture Malta, the Allied unit located there must be eliminated.
Steves762

Post by Steves762 »

I saw what you typed, and that helped. I was just trying to answer Bo's question. But looking at my reply, it appeared I was still confused...that will teach me to reply to posts and try to work at the same time ;^)
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

I have never had the slightest problem taking Malta as the Axis. You have to completely reduce it before you can take it, but if you reduce it properly it falls easily.
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
The Land

Post by The Land »

I took Malta without reducing its supply significantly. You start the game with enough bombers to take it out - a couple of turns to de-entrench it, then once at entrenchment 1 you ought to be able to destroy it with air plus one amphib assault in a turn.

This does tie up your whole airforce for a month though.
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”