Board game mod ( ready to use + New upload to simplify install)

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
daon

RE: Board game mod

Post by daon »

This mod is excellent, it makes the map much more readable .

I added an additional modification to make aviation more easily identifiable .
You can see it at

mundusbellicus.fr , forum matrix games
RussW

Post by RussW »

Welk
Thank you for this mod makes the game so much more enjoyable for me
Semper Fi
PHalen

Post by PHalen »

Thank you so much Welk for your stunning mod that I absolutely love!
Playing SC3 with your mod sure brings back board gaming memories…[:)]
Like Russ W I also find the game much more enjoyable, and infinitely clearer, with your mod.

I have a couple of first impression fine-tuning suggestions though:
I also agree with Russ W that the city names are kind of hard to read so I’d prefer them in some darker/clearer colour.
Consider making major rivers darker blue to make them easier to distinguish from normal rivers.
I’d want my forests & oasis’s greener. That should also make them easier to distinguish from swamps.
Consider making rail lines a bit sharper (especially on the zoomed out level) to make them easier to distinguish from roads. Could be important when cosidering Operate moves.
The storm areas at sea are clear & very well made! But it’s hard to see where it’s raining over land (especially on the zoomed out level.)

And a couple of personal aesthetic comments:
The mine & oil well symbols are great & Gin clear! But I’d loose their yellow outline.
The port anchor symbols are also nice but look a bit like shining pearls and could be duller in line with the pale board game ambience of your excellent maps.

My 10 cents.
Thanks again for a great mod!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

The mine & oil well symbols are great & Gin clear! But I’d loose their yellow outline.
Thanks [:)] I used the gold outline on those because it was needed with the darker stock map, but looking at the shots above I may agree that the outlines are not needed with this lighter map. Of course, it is Welk's Mod, so he can tinker with them if he wants !
welk

Post by welk »

Thanks for feedback [:'(]

I will probably do the needed adjustements when I will hve more time in 2017. And if someone want to adapt my work in other way or graph orientation, to make changing or to make adjustmments, no problem for the use of the mod, it's a free mod
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I have been holding off from getting this game, but now the mods have started flowing the improvements are spectacular, especially this one which makes the game look really irresistible.
Magnificent work. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

Thanks for all the hard work! This map is beautiful. I updated my current 1939 campaign with this last night and it looks incredible. Can't wait for some unit mods to go with it.

Thanks again. Made an already great game even better!
PHalen

RE: Board game mod (Statut : Mode ready to use)

Post by PHalen »

I’m well into my first Storm Over Europe campaign and play the Allies (to learn the game mechanisms with less schedule pressure that the Axis.) I’m playing with Welk’s excellent board game mod but I don’t believe he’s fiddled with the upgrade limits?

UK just researched ASW level 5.
But I still cannot upgrade the ASW level for any UK naval units, except destroyers, to higher than 2?
I can upgrade UK destroyers to max ASW level 3.

Similarly, US has researched AA level 4 and UK has researched AA level 3.
But I cannot upgrade the AA level for any US or UK units (not even AA units) to higher than 2?

Do these ASW and AA upgrade limits also apply for the Axis and the USSR?
(I’ve seen - and after many dives - eventually managed to sink a German sub with Advanced Sub level 4.)

Are these ASW and AA upgrade limits normal or a mod feature?

I’m about to start my first campaign as Axis so I’d like to avoid spending precious MPPs on research that I cannot apply...

Thanks!
welk

Post by welk »

The mod changes absolutly nothing in game, it'sjust a visual graph effects mod. I have made a copy of the original vanilla 1939 Storm campagin vanilla and modified the config to set bitmaps, etc and included my graph files : all others files are vanilla game original files, no changes were made in any part of mechanisme game or parameters

If you want to be sure, you have just to copy my graph bitmap files in the directory of vanilla original 1939 storm campaign (after saving your orig files somewhere) and to try to verify
welk

Post by welk »

AFTER VERIFICATION : sorry => founded effectivly that some of parameters in the 1939 Campaign game of the mod have been changed : I wanted not to do that sort of changes but probably I did it just to see how it works and I saved these change by mistake in the campaign before to use it as support of the graph mod

SO : in any case, use the 1939 STORM CAMPAINGN of my graph mod : just take the graphs files of the mod and copy them in the vanilla 1939 storm campaign (after saving original files somewhere)
daon

Post by daon »

PHalen , look in tech support , the post"Reasearched ASW to 5, can't upgrade..."
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

Two questions:

1. Exactly which files do we copy?

2. Are you going to make a zip file containing just the updated map changes for the 1939 scenario? If you have not considered this, please do. The install procedure is kind of a pain.

Thanks.
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

ORIGINAL: Steely Glint

Two questions:

1. Exactly which files do we copy?

2. Are you going to make a zip file containing just the updated map changes for the 1939 scenario? If you have not considered this, please do. The install procedure is kind of a pain.

Thanks.

Here's what I did and it went fairly straightforward:
1) Unzip all of the mod downloads into the same directory.
2) Copy the new scenario file and directory to the game's scenario directory. This will create a new scenario with the map changes.

If you want to change the actual 1939 storm campaign:
1) Rename the bitmap directory in the 1939 storm campaign to something like bitmap_hold.
2) Copy the bitmap directory from the new scenario to the 1939 storm campaign folder.

This way you don't have to worry about whether you got all the right files in the bitmap directory. Just copy the whole thing. Worked for me at least and was able to continue an ongoing campaign with the new map without probs.
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

I know how to do it the hard way. There should be an easier way
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

welk

Post by welk »

The upload has been modified to simplify install (see first post)
welk

RE: Board game mod ( ready to use + New upload to simplify install)

Post by welk »

ORIGINAL: welk

The mod is now provided in a single zip file that contents the complete Boardgamemod

To simplify the install, mod directories are now just bitmaps and interface : you will just have to copy these 2 directories in the appropriated directory of game, depending what you use (default campaigns, custom campaigns, localized campaigns, etc)

The mod gives the game the look of a classical board wargame
The mod changes nothing else in game than graphs and bitmaps effects

TO DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ahry9vf64 ... ard-Mod.7z

Capture screen : see Attachment below

IMPORTANT NOTE : To unzip the mod, you have to use 7z (not Winrar or winzip)

You may get 7z it here :
http://www.7-zip.org/

It works fine but one only unconvenient : if you have not 7z on your PC, compressed files with 7Z may not be opened with Winzip (I think Winrar may do it but not sure)

Other precision => with 7Z, to unzip a file, you have to use the special menu of 7z, not the general "extract menu"

The mod uses some excellent struff founded in 653H Mod (credit : sPzAbt653) for road, trains and cities, but with special opacity + I have modified Mines and oil)

SCREEN LEVEL ZOOM 2
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

Thank you very much!

Hairog

Post by Hairog »

I modded your fantastic mod. I needed two new units and had to modify the AA unit and the Dreadnaught as well. AA is now the SAM Stalin's Fire based on the German Wasserfall missile and the Dreadnought unit is now the Seehund/Babushka mini-sub.

The Wasserfall/Stalin's fire SAM is devastating to strategic bombers. The VT or Proximity fuses AA is devastating all planes and NATO has them as well.

The Seehund/Babushka is virtually undetectable. It is used for raiding, and is devastating to transports. It also messes up cruisers and battleships. It has a very low supply and runs out very fast if attacked.

Attachments
ModofMod.jpg
ModofMod.jpg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 570 times
WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

The initial setup. Don't be intimidated there is a way to beat the Soviets in the long run. And I emphasize the long run.

Attachments
Initialsetup.jpg
Initialsetup.jpg (691.41 KiB) Viewed 571 times
WW III 1946 Books
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

3D view

Attachments
3DInitialSetup.jpg
3DInitialSetup.jpg (684.68 KiB) Viewed 574 times
WW III 1946 Books

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”