How does one invade Malta?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Steves762

How does one invade Malta?

Post by Steves762 »

I've read through the manual, and using an amphibious transport to invade looks pretty simple, but I cannot figure out how to invade Malta. I have my Italian corps in Sicily, I load them into an amphibious transport, waited a turn so they could reach Malta, I am at war with the Allies, and I can left click on Malta and have the amphibious transport attack Malta, but the troops don't unload onto Malta. Is there some trick that I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve
crispy131313

RE: How does one invade Malta?

Post by crispy131313 »

Surprisingly Wiki has the answer.

The Axis resolved to bomb or starve Malta into submission, by attacking its ports, towns, cities, and Allied shipping supplying the island. Malta was one of the most intensively bombed areas during the war. The Luftwaffe (German Air Force) and the Regia Aeronautica (Italian Royal Air Force) flew a total of 3,000 bombing raids over a period of two years in an effort to destroy RAF defences and the ports.[10] Success would have made possible a combined German–Italian amphibious landing (Operation Herkules) supported by German airborne forces (Fallschirmjäger).

Basucally Bomb it until the occupier is destroyed and then either amphibious assault a unit onto the island or drop a paratrooper in.
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

With this straight-jacket script game - which gets old in a hurry - there is no way to invade Malta. Instead, gain naval superiority in the Med, and put one or two Italians BBs on a rotation bombardment program to beat Malta down. Do not allow it to recover.

Is it just me, or is this game really getting to be a snore-fest of repetition? [>:]
Steves762

Post by Steves762 »

Odd that I can use the amphibious transport to attack the island, but can't land troops on it because it's occupied by a single AA unit. Has anyone tried an airborne assault onto it? Probably wouldn't be pretty for the airborne unit, but I can't believe I can't invade the island. Makes me wonder how a Pacific theater version added to this game would function with no invading of central Pacific islands ;^)
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

I've only played the main title once during beta so I can't agree or disagree. I loosened the strings since day 1.
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

Airborne? Been there, tried that . . . the script wouldn't allow it; then I moved on. I'll spend my scarce time on VR's 'Decisive Campaigns' instead . . . far more depth and value. [:)]
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

I'm pretty sure the anti-air unit is a representation of the island defence and not meant to suggest the island has no occupants. And if amphibious assault required the amount of bombing that it did historically without victory why should it be easier in the game?
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

Steves762

Post by Steves762 »

I'm not arguing whether or not invading should be easier or harder depending on bombardment, I'm willing to sacrifice many Italian lives for this island ;^) It just appears that I am not allowed to unload the troops no matter what I tried, that's why I posted this question. I appreciate the replies, as I am new to this game, and I guess I will just have to keep pounding on the island to keep it from interfering with my supplies to Libya.
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

Try taking the supply down with Strategic Bombers or Naval Bombardment to reduce the units abilty to reinforce.
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

Your attempt to unload troops is actually an attack on the AA unit. Use bombers and BB's to damage the unit severely and lower supply to 0. If you want the amphibious attack to actually damage the unit, use an Army instead of a Corps, and research amphibious assault to raise your attack factors. Paratroops will never work if there is a unit left in Malta because dropping them is not considered an attack. I have successfully taken Malta (without the Amphib research) by using two bombers and the entire Italian fleet. It took quite a while.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I just happen to be taking Malta as we speak, so you might want to check this out:
tm.asp?m=4218403&mpage=1&key=&#4218409
bo

Post by bo »

Wow Malta cant be taken [;)]good lord people easiest part of the game, bombard the island with the Italian navy, put at least 6 German tactical bombers on Sicily with a German Hq.

Have your German Para's on Sicily set to drop in for a beer as soon as the the AA gun is destroyed. Only once in four games I did not take Malta on the first attack, second attack BOOM!

Now a comment about the reprecussions of doing nothing with North Africa or capturing it. If you wan't all of North Africa and kick the British out you had better take Malta because when you get to be near Cairo your supply most likely will read zero.

If you decide not to fight the Brirish in North Africa do not land the Afrika Corp of course, but Italy can expect an invasion as soon as the British take Tunisia. If that happens make sure your engineers build fortifications across the leg of Italy in front of Rome.

Again I apoligize if I have offended anyone who thinks Malta can't be taken, just trying to help [;)]

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: hjalmar99

With this straight-jacket script game - which gets old in a hurry - there is no way to invade Malta. Instead, gain naval superiority in the Med, and put one or two Italians BBs on a rotation bombardment program to beat Malta down. Do not allow it to recover.

Is it just me, or is this game really getting to be a snore-fest of repetition? [>:]

The [>:] is perfect for you, to make a statement like you just made makes me thing you are from Canada [:D] Please read my post or sPzAbt653 post, you just might change your mind [:(] I have yet to snooze playing this pretty good game.

Bo
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Again I apoligize if I have offended anyone who thinks Malta can't be taken, just trying to help
To be fair, when we are just beginning and learning the mechanics of the game, Malta is impossible [;)] I had to ask for help when I started.

And stop spelling Tactical as Tactile !! lol.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Again I apoligize if I have offended anyone who thinks Malta can't be taken, just trying to help
To be fair, when we are just beginning and learning the mechanics of the game, Malta is impossible [;)] I had to ask for help when I started.

And stop spelling Tactical as Tactile !! lol.

People asked for help I gave it to them ok, some said it could not be done, Just wanted to correct that, LOL [;)] As for tactical or tactile I am from South Philly, you want everything perfect.
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

If you wan't all of North Africa and kick the British out you had better take Malta because when you get to be near Cairo your supply most likely will read zero.

I find that taking Malta is a waste of resources. Just keep it beaten down, and it will no longer bother you. I know this, because Rommel usually gets to Teheran, and the Italians take out Saudi Arabia . . . and the Turks join the Axis. Of course, this does nothing to prevent D-Day '43 . . . repeatedly.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Not taking Malta or even bothering to bomb it has not stopped me from conquering Egpt when playing The Axis. The extent of further advances beyond into Iraq, Persia and the Caucasus have then usually depended on the state of play in the Western Med especially whether Spain/Gib have come on side. In view of this Malta never seems worth the effort.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I am from South Philly,
I'm right downy skreet in Balmer.
[translation - I'm right down the street in Baltimore].
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

I took Malta in 1940. Basically I came close to following what sPZAbt653 did in his link above. I moved most of the Luftwaffe to Sicily for a show down with the Royal Navy. I also sent an extra U-boat as soon as I could to the Med to help with the blockade. Some of the keys are to have the Italian battleships ready in the southern ports and some naval recon available while using the subs to blockade. Sooner or later, the Royal Navy is going to show up and the first target is their carrier. After that, between your air power and being able to run out, hit and return to port, you should be able to dispatch the Royal Navy in the Med. After that, it is just a matter of time to put Malta out of supply and destroy the defender.

The one issue I see is that if you employ a paratrooper unit, it is going to be there for awhile since you have to wait for the ports to be repaired in order for it to move again.

The other benefit is that with Malta in Axis hands, instead of hurting the Axis supply situation in Africa, the Allies suffer supply penalties while Malta is in Axis hands.
Steves762

Post by Steves762 »

So it can be done! It sounds like you have to destroy the defender first though? Since this is my first attempt at an amphibious invasion, does the game not allow you to land on an occupied hex and fight it out? I haven't found anything in the manual that says you can or you can't do that.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”