Brand New Newbie with Some Tech Questions

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

geofighter

Brand New Newbie with Some Tech Questions

Post by geofighter »

Hello there!

I just bought WIF yesterday. I read and watched a few tutorials and then I decided to jump right into the Barbarossa Campaign. I'm having fun but I have several questions:

1. The Main Form window layers under the detail map. Anyway I can reverse this?

2. Let's say I have two corps in hex and I want to control attacking with both or just 1? How do I know if both are attacking or just one of them?

3. On the main form, help menu the menu for the land combat results table is grayed out and won't open. How do I correct that?

Thanks for your help in advance.
geofighter
The man who can read and doesn't has no advantage over one who can't. - Mark Twain

Listening is more than waiting for your turn to talk - Scott Wilder
davidachamberlain

RE: Brand New Newbie with Some Tech Questions

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: geofighter

Hello there!

I just bought WIF yesterday. I read and watched a few tutorials and then I decided to jump right into the Barbarossa Campaign. I'm having fun but I have several questions:

1. The Main Form window layers under the detail map. Anyway I can reverse this?

2. Let's say I have two corps in hex and I want to control attacking with both or just 1? How do I know if both are attacking or just one of them?

3. On the main form, help menu the menu for the land combat results table is grayed out and won't open. How do I correct that?

Thanks for your help in advance.
geofighter
1. In case you have not yet looked into some of the updates, you might want to consider the 2.3.0 and 2.3.1 updates that are available. They are not final versions, but might address some known problems you may encounter.

You can move around windows so I will usually drag down the map when I want to see the main window.
It is a good idea to double click on a blank space so that you can see all of the counters in a hex. Then you can select both before your attack so that you can be sure that both are involved in the attack.
When you get into the Attack resolution phase, you can look at the table. You can also see all the tables from you file manager under Manuals.

Dave
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

When you get into the Attack resolution phase, you can look at the table. You can also see all the tables from you file manager under Manuals. Dave

For all the tables you can also go to:

Help-->Charts from WiF FE
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

ORIGINAL: geofighter

As david said, using flyover (double clicking on an empty space) you can see all units in an hex. Then you can select individually what units will participate in the attack. Once the units are committed to the combat, there is a Unit Status indicator (a tiny color dot next to the counter) that changes its state. You can find in the instruction manual annex the meaning of all indicators.

Attachments
status.jpg
status.jpg (156.04 KiB) Viewed 92 times
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

On nummer 3: sorry, not coded yet. You can find the 1D10 land combat chart in "Charts from WiF" section under help.

The 2D10 table can be found in section 23 of the Rules as Coded.

Number two has already be answered.

Than finally, the positioning of the Main Form. It depends on the number of monitors you are using. The positioning of the main form is important, since putting it in the wrong position might mean that pop up screens don't appear and the game gets frozen, until that form is force on top.
Now, I'm only using one monitor and this is my personal screen layout. If you are using more than one monitor, I'm not the right guy to ask where it should be...

Attachments
Bug1.gif
Bug1.gif (421.93 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

The Main form should be at the top. Then with one monitor, the Detailed map should be placed so the top of the Detailed Map is just below the Main form. This leaves some of the screen unused (e.g., the space alongside the Main form. That's annoying, but I have never figured out a good solution to this inefficiency. I place the Selectable Units form to the left of the Main form (at the top of the screen) and the Screen Layouts List and Map Views List to the right of the Main form. That uses some of the space at the top of the monitor - but usually leaves some unused space.

With two monitors, the Detailed Map is typically placed on the larger monitor and the Main form at the top of the smaller monitor.

See the Players Manual volume I, Section 8.6 for a fuller discussion of all this and some examples - with pictures.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
geofighter

Post by geofighter »

Thank you Dave. I downloaded the updates but see no difference in play. Still no change on the help menu. I have been adjusting to dropping down the map to see the main menu. Isn't so bad. I also did as you said about double left clicking and discovered how to turn the flyouts on and off.

Thanks again.

Geofighter
The man who can read and doesn't has no advantage over one who can't. - Mark Twain

geofighter

Post by geofighter »

Thank you for the screen shot,

Return to “Tech Support”