Game crashes

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Chris21wen

Game crashes

Post by Chris21wen »

Every time I press OK to set a variable patrol the game crashes with 'Not Responding' error. As far as I can see everything else is working OK.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (100.37 KiB) Viewed 366 times
zakblood

RE: Game crashes

Post by zakblood »

is the game running from the default game installation folder? or is it a none default game install?

running as admin? from a admin account?

any error codes or logs or other messages in game or in windows event logs?

check firewall and AV logs to see if either of these have or are stopping it?

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

a report may say if there's a system error or game one hopefully
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

is the game running from the default game installation folder? or is it a none default game install?

running as admin? from a admin account?

any error codes or logs or other messages in game or in windows event logs?

check firewall and AV logs to see if either of these have or are stopping it?

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

a report may say if there's a system error or game one hopefully

Default folder - C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon Ultimate CE
Well I'm the only user but I've not ticked the 'Run this program as an administrator'
It's being run from the 'Harpoon Ultimate CE Game Menu' shortcut
I've seen no other error messages, Just it stopped working.
Why should the firewall affect it? Only got Defender installed. Doesn't seem to be a problem
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
(14.4 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

default questions, asked them then once replied, if no errors move onto the next ones.

all windows versions / pc's have a firewall, default or not, it has one, installing as admin sets it up, but should make no difference to the game, but checking logs for both and seeing a clean bill of health means neither of them are too blame, next is look at the other uses who have issue, if any note the same one, give the same reply as the answer, as i couldn't find any error's the same as yours, means it the first one, so then i asked for the logs, which i'll now look through and see if anything odd stands out, won't take a few secs tbh
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

findings,

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
DirectX Version: 12

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Monitor Model: Inspiron 5459
Monitor Id: DEL40CA

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Monitor Model: DELL E173FP
Monitor Id: DELA00B

so your using a single onchip vga with next to no ram with 2 monitors

Display Memory: 4175 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 4047 MB

so system ram is Memory: 8192MB RAM

and for both monitors the pc has been asked to share 4047 MB for each process, leaving no ram left for the system to use?

with drivers out of date Driver Date/Size: 18/11/2015 for vga

and 9 app crashes log in the report

Event Name: APPCRASH etc

my advice would be to disable one monitor freeing up some ram, then retry the game and see if it works.

while the pc meets the game requirements for video

32 MB Video Card (64 MB Preferred) as this only means onboard ram, not shared, windows itself like and uses more ram than what's left in the system atm imo.

but disabling one monitor will confirm hopefully this, or not, if it doesn't then something else is in the mix causing the error, and that could be something easy to fix, or something totally un fixable maybe.

so things to check first,

are you using the latest game version?

are you having any others errors with any other game?

did you update the pc from a older version of windows?

did the game work before you updated it?

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

reasons to ask bottom questions are,

if it worked before you upgraded but now it doesn't,

easy option is uninstall it, then wipe the folder clean, making sure all traces of the game has been removed, and reinstall and re patch, making sure all pre requites are also re installed, as windows 10 doesn't have them for this age of game by default.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

here's my guide to windows 10 install if you need it

tm.asp?m=4079249
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

so your using a single onchip vga with next to no ram with 2 monitors

Display Memory: 4175 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 4047 MB

so system ram is Memory: 8192MB RAM

and for both monitors the pc has been asked to share 4047 MB for each process, leaving no ram left for the system to use?

Your using the term system memory, should you not be using video memory here. As far as I can tell I have 8GB of system RAM and 4GB of video, which as you say, is being shared by two monitors.

with drivers out of date Driver Date/Size: 18/11/2015 for vga

I've checked but for some reason I cannot find any later drivers.

and 9 app crashes log in the report

Event Name: APPCRASH etc

all caused by this problem.

my advice would be to disable one monitor freeing up some ram, then retry the game and see if it works.

Tried it and in made no difference.

32 MB Video Card (64 MB Preferred) as this only means onboard ram, not shared, windows itself like and uses more ram than what's left in the system atm imo.
This has confused me.

but disabling one monitor will confirm hopefully this, or not, if it doesn't then something else is in the mix causing the error, and that could be something easy to fix, or something totally un fixable maybe.

so things to check first,

are you using the latest game version? YES

are you having any others errors with any other game? NO

did you update the pc from a older version of windows? NO

did the game work before you updated it? NO IDEA. I installed it and then patched it immediately, Not strictly true I started it, it ran it to see if it worked then patched it.

I've got other more modern games such as CMANO, WitP AE, WitE etc. and I have no problems running them even with two monitors.

The only part of this game that causes the problem is Repeat Air Operations.

There is one small problem. As I said earlier I run the game through the Harpoon Ultimate CE Game Menu. If I run it through Winharp32.exe I get this error.

I will uninstall it and try again.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 366 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

seems to be a issue with something i haven't come across before either, so hopefully support will be able to put you right
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

This has confused me.

your report says your pc has 2 monitors, which also has assign 2 sets of memory to each given address, so 2x Shared Memory: 4047 MB =8gb, so add up the base memory of each = Dedicated Memory: 128 MB X2

and game min req is 64mb, so meets the min, but leaves nothing else to run windows with is all i was saying or implying
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

are you using the latest game version? YES

are you having any others errors with any other game? NO

The only part of this game that causes the problem is Repeat Air Operations.

There is one small problem. As I said earlier I run the game through the Harpoon Ultimate CE Game Menu. If I run it through Winharp32.exe I get this error.

Chris H,

The serial number message is because you aren't running Winharp32.exe as Administrator. If you do, the serial number issue will go away. That is a flaw on Matrix's side, not the game itself (not that it matters).

Repeat air ops, what is the problem exactly? A wild guess would be a dpi scaling issue. With the game closed, try http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... -settings/ then run the game again.

You need almost no video memory for the game, multiple monitors is not an issue.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

You need almost no video memory for the game, multiple monitors is not an issue.

agreed, but assigning all your system base memory to 2 vga processes maybe in the long run.

a 8gb pc can't run on mb's of what's left once 2 monitors are used if both are asking for 4gb of base memory each, leaving the total system memory with next to none, unassigned system memory doesn't always go back into the pool, so for me it's better to assign less to start of with, either in bios at start up, or in windows where possible, if it uses paged memory and not system memory for both, overall the effect is of can be the same, with a chance of a memory call being an issue if two pieces of code asking for the same memory address when run, you get one or both hanging, at best, crashing at worst.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

agreed, but assigning all your system base memory to 2 vga processes maybe in the long run.

a 8gb pc can't run on mb's of what's left once 2 monitors are used if both are asking for 4gb of base memory each, leaving the total system memory with next to none, unassigned system memory doesn't always go back into the pool, so for me it's better to assign less to start of with, either in bios at start up, or in windows where possible, if it uses paged memory and not system memory for both, overall the effect is of can be the same, with a chance of a memory call being an issue if two pieces of code asking for the same memory address when run, you get one or both hanging, at best, crashing at worst.
Chris H hasn't assigned all of his RAM to be video memory. Windows doesn't take a new block of memory for each display. The total pool of video memory is split between displays. Not to mention there is only 128MB dedicated in this case.

Video configuration is not the issue here. Nor is a RAM limitation. When HC can't allocate memory you will get a memory allocation error, not a hang. Something else is going on Chris H (given your screenshots, the clear registry settings won't help either).

I'm happy to take a look but will need step-by-step instructions on how to recreate the issue, ideally at http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... ect-2-hce/ but here is fine too.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ok thanks

Return to “Tech Support”