opponent wanted

Post requests for head to head play here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

professorhex

opponent wanted

Post by professorhex »

I've been lurking here for a year or two, following the epic struggles of the heroes on these pages.[&o]

I am now frustrated at playing against myself. Tried for a while to interest a real life friend, he didn't get the bug.

So I'm looking for an opponent for an email game. Preferably someone who knows how that format works.

I'll play either side. Usually play full campaign with all optional rules and 2d10 but willing to negotiate.

My opponent will have to be patient as most of the time I'll have only a few hours a week to devote to the game.

But there'll be room for literary and imaginative indulgence.

Will consider any offers.

regards, Ian
juntoalmar

RE: opponent wanted

Post by juntoalmar »

I read you, but I'm playing a global war at the moment, otherwise we could try.

Good luck finding an opponent!
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
alexmike1

Post by alexmike1 »

I also bought the game pretty much at launch and have been forum lurking since - reading the respected wisdom of Messrs Warspite et al. I have played a handful of solitaire games and am also ready to test my (lack of) skill against another human being. I have not yet played an email game, but I believe there is a guide somewhere if you fancy a try? I am easy on sides. Only optional rules that I generally play without are construction engineers (seems fiddly) and oil rules (due to my own shortcomings I always seem to end up with most of my fleets sat around unable to do anything).
Pacetti

Post by Pacetti »

I´m spanish, so I apologize for my english.

I have never played before MWiF, just some solitare test, but I have played a lot of
table WIF games.

I´ve allways played with all optional rules and 2d10 in a campaign game.

I would prefer play alied.

It´s up to you.

NatRapsEno

Post by NatRapsEno »

I'm up for a game professor and/or athensmh1. We could play one together or seperately, your call.
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

Hope you've managed to get a game up and running.

If you need any help, feel free to call upon Warspite1, Orm, Mayhemizer or myself and we will do our best.

It would be great to see this as an AAR. You can use the AAR instead of E-mails for the interactions between players for intercepts (air or naval), naval damage, air and naval ground support etc. That way the AAR sort of writes itself for little extra effort.

If you need a die roller programme, the link below is the one we use.

Good luck

http://www.pbegames.com/
alexmike1

Post by alexmike1 »

Much appreciated AllenK. I do have a couple of questions as it happens.

Is PBEM as simple as emailing the save game file and placing it in the correct folder?

Is multi PBEM much more complex than two player?

Not so sure about an AAR, as I am still fairly inexperienced at the game (convoy routing???). I played my first, and only, game of WIF over 20 years ago (our group was more into A3R at the time) and I have owned the board game for some time. Aside from that I have played a handful of solitaire MWIF games.

Not yet heard back from Proffesorhex yet - are you still on for a game?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

PBEM is that simple but there is a LOT of interaction during each other's moves. Suggest you search the forum for "PBEM" to get more info on how players handle this. BTW there is no PBEM mode (just like there's no AI mode - as referred to recently in another post). There may be a picture showing radio buttons to select those modes but they are not yet programmed. To play PBEM, most likely people select the Solitaire mode. Or they could select head-to-head but this implies far more emailing.

PBEM with more than two players --> same idea although it will take longer as more folks are involved in interactive decision making.
Paul
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

As Paul says. E-mail the game save and copy it into the folder for the scenario you are playing. We generally only do this at the end of the impulse. Screen shots and some description will generally suffice for the various air, naval and ground support interactions.

End of turn seems best handled by Allies/CW. We send the file between us for production planning then send instructions to CW for reorganisation, builds and reinforcements. It all forms part of the AAR.

Multiplayer takes longer than 1 v 1 but is compensated by the fun and support in playing as a team.

I wouldn't worry about inexperience. The AAR's I've been involved with are the total number of games I've played - about 8 now. The discussion and advice given by experienced players contributing to the thread is invaluable for developing your skill.
professorhex

Post by professorhex »

I'm grateful for all responses here, both from prospective opponents and big-hitters offering advice and support.

I've had a couple of pms, which I've interpreted as a firm interest in playing, and have responded.

If athensmh wants to do that too we can negotiate!

Return to “Opponents Wanted”