Meaning of "ROF:" when Adding Weapons to Air Bases' Magazines

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Fer_Cabo

Meaning of "ROF:" when Adding Weapons to Air Bases' Magazines

Post by Fer_Cabo »

Several options for the same Weapon in terms of different "ROF:"

What's the meaning & purpose? Could not find it googling around nor in the Game Manual or Forums.

Thanks!
mikmykWS

RE: Meaning of "ROF:" when Adding Weapons to Air Bases' Magazines

Post by mikmykWS »

Rate of Fire. We use it to determine the rate of fire and speed at which weapons transfer (magazine to mount) in seconds.

Mike
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Rate of Fire. We use it to determine the rate of fire and speed at which weapons transfer (magazine to mount) in seconds.

Mike

Mike

I think he was referring to this. I also wondered why it there.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (123.31 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Fer_Cabo

Post by Fer_Cabo »

Right Chris, that's exactly what i was asking about.

1) Meaning of the paired numbers (X/Y)

and

2) Meaning of "ROF" and its values ROF:1, ROF:5, etc.

All of them for the same weapon (AS-7, AS-14, etc)

Thanks a lot!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Answers the same. Rate of Fire (RoF). Rate in seconds weapons are fired or loaded.

Mike
Fer_Cabo

Post by Fer_Cabo »

So, for instance: Taking ID Number 653 (AS-9 Kyle [Kh-28] (2/2) ROF:5 means that two pairs of these weapon can be loaded in a plane's loadout in 2x2x5 seconds = 20 seconds ¿?¿?

Looks pretty quick even for experienced and numerous ground crews...
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Aircraft loading doesn't use the value and accounts for planning etc. Try and load an aircraft in the game and you'll see.

In this case a weapons record with a ROF of 5 is used for firing which makes more sense. DB editors try and build records that match the function of what's going on. Take a look at magazines for more examples of things used for mag ROF.

Mike

magi

Post by magi »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Answers the same. Rate of Fire (RoF). Rate in seconds weapons are fired or loaded.

Mike
hahahaha........
I1066

Post by I1066 »

Perhaps someone could write a bog post or something and elaborate on magazines, weapons and other stuff relevant to consider when setting these things up in a scenario, and what the different properties mean and when they are used and in which way they are used. And, for example, how you you figure out which weapons/magazines work with which platforms. Or how you work with mounts that can fire different ammunition (weapons?) and have their internal "magazine", and how this relates external magazines.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Sounds great! Thanks for volunteering.

Mike
I1066

Post by I1066 »

I'm really clueless about this, so perhaps better handled by someone who knows what he is talking about. Perhaps whoever wrote the really good blog about mines could be convinced to do another one on magazines, weapon and stuff? [:)]
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: I1066

I'm really clueless about this, so perhaps better handled by someone who knows what he is talking about. Perhaps whoever wrote the really good blog about mines could be convinced to do another one on magazines, weapon and stuff? [:)]

Oh I see you want me to do it.

Will add to our update list for the manual etc.

Thanks!

Mike
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Do we know more about this ?
I'm trying to understand this topic and to decide which ammmunition I will put in my ammo truck to replenish some Infantry unit but no idea which one I should pick. Some will work, like ROF:2 and ROF:15 but not ROF:1
I'm puzzled ...

Attachments
ammunition.jpg
ammunition.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
KnightHawk75

Post by KnightHawk75 »

but not ROF:1
idk they seem to work fine for me, never ran into a case were they didn't....where the culprit wasn't the separate ROF on the hosting mount itself vs the weapon record.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

I created a small scen to illustrate.
Blue side has one infantry I want to replenish (select provider manually) after it finishes to shoot at red infantry units. I have 3 trucks, each loaded with different ROF version of 7.62mm stuff. (identified by truck name)
They refuse to replenish from ROF:1 truck (manual replenishment) and it gives a message "failed. No suitable fuel or stores to transfer".
It's working from ROF:2 and ROF:15
Would be happy to understand why ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcabj2zdgcvshng/ROF.scen?dl=0

BTW, what a GREAT feature. I love it ;-) !!!
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
BDukes

Post by BDukes »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

I created a small scen to illustrate.
Blue side has one infantry I want to replenish (select provider manually) after it finishes to shoot at red infantry units. I have 3 trucks, each loaded with different ROF version of 7.62mm stuff. (identified by truck name)
They refuse to replenish from ROF:1 truck (manual replenishment) and it gives a message "failed. No suitable fuel or stores to transfer".
It's working from ROF:2 and ROF:15
Would be happy to understand why ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcabj2zdgcvshng/ROF.scen?dl=0

BTW, what a GREAT feature. I love it ;-) !!!
H

Not sure if there has been a change but historically to replenish land units you group them with an ammo holding unit.

Mike
Don't call it a comeback...
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

I didn't know about grouping units to replenish them. Sounds cool.
I'm using the manual replenishment and it works well.

I'm just confused with the meaning of the numbers in the editor when loading stuff in a magazine (for example in an ammo truck). Especially after noticing that same stuff but with different ROF won't work (ie. unit won't repelnish with different ROF value.

What is "name_of_the_munition - (XX/YY) ROF:ZZ (same question as the original question of this thread in fact)
What do the XX/YY/ZZ numbers mean and how do I know which one I need to load in the truck ?
BDukes

Post by BDukes »

Think its like this.

XX: current number of weapons in the mag weapons record
YY: total number of weapons the mag weapons record can store
ZZ: Seconds to transfer from magazine to mount. I don't know if this translates to somebody elses mount. Dev will need to clarify. This is not a huge detail though if its seconds.[8D]

What's important is:
Making sure you have more than 0 in XX in the source.
Making sure you've got the source and destination weapons records match. So for example you pick the correct 30mm cannon round type.

If you know database stuff you can look in SQL lite editor to match if you're unsure. You can also use Lua to pull I'm sure. Most of the time the naming is distinct enough to know the difference.

If you're having a problem with something specific. Just post an example and I'll look and see. This will save time and back and forth[8D]

Mike

Don't call it a comeback...
KnightHawk75

Post by KnightHawk75 »

What is "name_of_the_munition - (XX/YY) ROF:ZZ (same question as the original question of this thread in fact)

XX == how many weapon units are included in this weapon record 2/4 means there is 4 capacity and 2 munitions included by default.
YY == capacity for the weapon record 2/4 there are 2 munitions, but you could change it up to 4 (or it will re-fill up to 4).
ZZ == rate of fire for the weapon record, this is the fastest rate at which this weapon record can fire.

You know what to add based entirely on what it is you want added to whatever it is you are adding it too.

Replenish to work needs the underlying weaponid's to match.

In the sample scene:
- Unit Inf has a 7.62 MG mount (#357) which has rof of 1, capacity 20, can hot-reload, and presently has 0 munitions of wpnid: #1415. No mag is present.   to see: print(ScenEdit_GetUnit({name='Inf', guid='4YWDWP-0HMFJMGE9U7V3'}).mounts);
- Unit Rof:1 has generic mag 1185 (10k cap) with a bunch of weapon records 7.62mm MG 300/300 BUT these contains wpnid: #626.   to see: print(ScenEdit_GetUnit({name='ROF:1', guid='4YWDWP-0HMFJMGE9V9NU'}).magazines)
- Unit Rof:2 has generic mag 1185 (10k cap) with a bunch of weapon records 7.62mm MG 145/150 containing wpnid: #1415.   to see: print(ScenEdit_GetUnit({name='ROF:1', guid='4YWDWP-0HMFJMGE9V9NU'}).magazines)

So in the scene it makes perfect sense that unit:rof1 can't replenish 'Inf' because it doesn't have the specific weapons to match unit Inf, not because the rof is different. Where as the weapon records put into the mag on unit Rof:2 can, because those records contain matching munitions of 1415.

How do you know the weapon id's in each weapon record when going to select them from the dialog? You don't atm, you either know from experience, look it up in the raw database ahead of time, or trial and error with some lua print()s to make sure the wpn_dbid fields match up.
It would be nice if " - Wpnid: #xxxxx" was included in the dialog in addition to " - ROF: XXX" for weapon record selection.
It's generally only confusing when there are multiple wpn records and mounts named nearly the same making it hard to tell them apart since the comment field isn't displayed just the name, 7.62mm is a good example of that.

Hope that helps clear this up.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Thank you ! Yes, it definitely helps !

And yes, it's a pity that Wpnid isn't included in the dialog when adding weapons. But the problem shouldn't occur too often because I never had it before. At least let's hope it is the case.
But your message was very useful ! Thanks again for investigating this.

But there are still more unknows, like e.g. how do you know how many of these 7.62 you can load in the truck's magazine (the maximum amount) ? It says magazine capacity is 10.000 for generic magazine but what does it mean exactly ? What is the unit of measure? Because when I'm trying to add these 300/300 packs of 7.62, I can add much more than 33 of them (33*300 = 9.900 < 10.000). Like 50+ of them will fit in the truck. Seems bottomless ...

And also I'm trying to have a logistic chain with trucks replenishing from a ammo bunker when empty but it doesn't seem to work. When using manual replenish command, the truck is normally heading toward the bunker but ammunition won't transfer to the truck.
And when I try to replenish the infantry unit directly from the bunker (manual replenishment, clicking on the bunker) it initially goes toward the bunker and after a while it changes and moves toward the truck instead.

Any idea ?

Sorry to be a pain ... [:D]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”