Archon and the map editor, some small questions

3D version of Close Combat
Nomada_Firefox

Archon and the map editor, some small questions

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Some people asked me about if the map editor at Archon would be different or equal. Specially about these features commented previously.

*Can we continue importing/exporting a bmp image from all the terrain? clearly, we always thought how we could import the main image terrain from a old CC map into a new BF map.

*How is the creation from a map? short or long? I do not go to ask if it is easy or hard because it depends from each player.

*Must you create the elevations from each manually or can we use a black/white image for them?

*At comparation with the old CC games, how big is the biggest map from BF?

*Are there weather conditions? by example rain. Or only night/day.

*Must we create a different map for the night and other for day or is there anything controlling this in the game?

*Is there water? I suppose how it has not movement but have you added a mirror effect or some like that?

*How do you set each element in the map? dirt, grass, road, must it be selected?

*If you create a new map, is there an option for to play it in the game without move, edit, copy any file manually?

Clearly the map editor is the biggest modding feature from the new game for me. Because probably everybody will like the units from the game and they will find them enough for many type of mods, or you can change them a bit. But the maps....oh man, if we can create a map at one day without use photoshop or other complex tool, it will be awesome. When the game be released, we should create a avault with all the new maps where people can find them easily. I will create at least a Moddb section from the game if anybody create it before.[:)]
zakblood

RE: Archon and the map editor, some small questions

Post by zakblood »

edited

sorted[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

I deleted the posts. Will determine what action to take. Thanks Zak.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

What did you answer? the answers? I did not see anything.....anybody could see them?
PipFromSlitherine

There was a stream of abuse. I deleted it and have taken action against the poster.

Cheers

Pip
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Well I hope Steve or other member from the team can answer these very interesting questions for everybody which they will like the game and specially the mods. However, I want remember to all the players how you can make new maps and to play them without edit a single byte from the game. I suppose of course[8D], usually it happens at all games with a map editor.
PipFromSlitherine

The plan is for something like you describe to be easy to do. We want players to be able to build maps and share them with their friends without needing to do a lot of messing around. More extensive modding will probably need more tinkering. But we are attempting to build the game with maximum support for modding.

Cheers

Pip
SchnelleMeyer

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

It is very nice to read that such considerations are being taken from a game developer Pip and Matrix - It will make the game live longer and be good for sales as well.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Nomada_Firefox

*Can we continue importing/exporting a bmp image from all the terrain? clearly, we always thought how we could import the main image terrain from a old CC map into a new BF map.

You can use bitmaps in two ways -- 1) you can create a gray scale height map to automatically do all your elevations, and 2) You can create a texture to overlay the default appearance of the terrain.
*How is the creation from a map? short or long? I do not go to ask if it is easy or hard because it depends from each player.

I'd say the process is a little faster than creating old-school CC maps in 5CC. Potentially a lot faster if you just want to use the default appearance.
*At comparation with the old CC games, how big is the biggest map from BF?

I believe the biggest map is ~750m across. Most are ~500m. The maximum size will be something like 1000-2000m -- I can't give a definite answer as there are some technical decision to be made after testing.
*Are there weather conditions? by example rain. Or only night/day.

There won't be visible weather effects for rain or snow, other than overcast conditions may change the lighting. It's something that will be in future versions however.
*Must we create a different map for the night and other for day or is there anything controlling this in the game?

No. Time of day is handled separately from the map itself. The Archon engine handles all the lighting.

*Is there water? I suppose how it has not movement but have you added a mirror effect or some like that?

There will be water in streams and ponds. We're not depicting major rivers or the ocean.
*How do you set each element in the map? dirt, grass, road, must it be selected?

You click on a terrain type and a 'brush' size and drag the mouse across the map to 'paint' that terrain type.
*If you create a new map, is there an option for to play it in the game without move, edit, copy any file manually?

You won't need to copy any files unless you want to send the map to someone else.

Steve
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Many thanks by the answers Steve. They sound me very good.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

You can read my thoughts about the answers here. https://firefoxccmods.com/wp/2017/01/18 ... -features/
mickxe5

Post by mickxe5 »

Im curious if maps might be ported into BF from other Archon-based games? Or other 3D games for that matter.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Steve told how the scale from Battle Academy games is not the same. By this reason, you will not be able import a map from other Archon game.

From other 3D game, some let you export the elevations map (a black/white image) and you can use it at BF. With only it, you would save many time.

But export a top view image.....only I saw the old Blizkrieg 2 with a export feature and it an isometric image.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: mickxe5
Im curious if maps might be ported into BF from other Archon-based games? Or other 3D games for that matter.

That is an interesting thought, but not one we'll be diving into for the first release.

Steve

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”