Air HQ at Kwalalein

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

OPilot

Air HQ at Kwalalein

Post by OPilot »

In most scenarios, in the GC, and I believe historically, an Air HQ was located at Kwajalein. Roi-Namur, which is at the other end of the atoll 1 hex way, is better suited for expanding an AF for basing Japanese medium bombers (Bettys and Nells). The Air HQ's usually have a command radius of 1. My questions relate to the extent which the Air HQ at Kwajalein exerts influence on the Roi-Namur base:

1. Does the command radius of "1" extend into adjacent hexes or just the hex in which it is located? Does it extend from Kwajalein to Roi-Namur to help by allowing more aircraft to fly and allowing more air units to be based there, coordinating aircraft
replacement/upgrades and supporting more groups at a base?

2. Can the Air HQ at Kwajalein provide torpedoes to Bettys and Nells at Roi-Namur?

3. Is it better to relocate the Air HQ to Roi-Namur or leave it at Kwajalein? I have always relocated the Air HQ's to Roi-Namur because it looked like the only way to provide the bombers with torpedoes. How do others deal with this situation?

PaxMondo

RE: Air HQ at Kwalalein

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: OPilot

In most scenarios, in the GC, and I believe historically, an Air HQ was located at Kwajalein. Roi-Namur, which is at the other end of the atoll 1 hex way, is better suited for expanding an AF for basing Japanese medium bombers (Bettys and Nells). The Air HQ's usually have a command radius of 1. My questions relate to the extent which the Air HQ at Kwajalein exerts influence on the Roi-Namur base:
Don't assume, always check. IN this case, yes.
1. Does the command radius of "1" extend into adjacent hexes or just the hex in which it is located? Does it extend from Kwajalein to Roi-Namur to help by allowing more aircraft to fly and allowing more air units to be based there, coordinating aircraft
The first hex is the hex that it lives in, so command radius 1 is only for that hex.
2. Can the Air HQ at Kwajalein provide torpedoes to Bettys and Nells at Roi-Namur?
I don't beleive they can.
3. Is it better to relocate the Air HQ to Roi-Namur or leave it at Kwajalein? I have always relocated the Air HQ's to Roi-Namur because it looked like the only way to provide the bombers with torpedoes. How do others deal with this situation?
Player decision. for me, this unit generally moves in the first couple of days to more needy locations.
Pax
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

Recommend you read the newbie FAQ. Good stuff here:

tm.asp?m=2260137

I also recommend you read the post history of Alfred:

showprofile.asp?memid=22406

He's a crotchety guy that probably spends his days yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN!", but his posts generally have good info in them. I know he posted on the details of how this works within the last 6 months, but I can't find it. (search on this forum sucks and the google search is not much better tonight - cannot seem to find the post I am thinking of. )

1. Supposedly, yes. See section 8 of the above link: "Command Radius 1 = One hex from the HQ.i.e. Hex HQ is in and all 6 Hexes around."

2. From memory of the post I have given up finding: Yes. Air groups in Command Radius of the HQ can supply torpedoes. Assuming appropriate supply, etc.

3. IMO, yes. While my understanding is that the HQ will provide torpedoes, the Aviation Support doesn't extend out in hexes afaik. I have seen suggestions where naval support had some effect upon things like port loading within their command radius. I have not seen anything suggesting Av Support extended beyond the base. So, why put aviation support where they have no, or fewer planes to repair?

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
The first hex is the hex that it lives in, so command radius 1 is only for that hex.

That was WitP. In AE it is it's own hex and the surrounding 6 hexes.
ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
I don't beleive they can.

As the base is within range it can supply torps. Unlike other Air HQ functions it does not have to be within the same command to do so, just have it's torpedo ordinance set.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: InfiniteMonkey

Recommend you read the newbie FAQ. Good stuff here:

tm.asp?m=2260137

I also recommend you read the post history of Alfred:

showprofile.asp?memid=22406

He's a crotchety guy that probably spends his days yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN!", but his posts generally have good info in them. I know he posted on the details of how this works within the last 6 months, but I can't find it. (search on this forum sucks and the google search is not much better tonight - cannot seem to find the post I am thinking of. )

1. Supposedly, yes. See section 8 of the above link: "Command Radius 1 = One hex from the HQ.i.e. Hex HQ is in and all 6 Hexes around."

2. From memory of the post I have given up finding: Yes. Air groups in Command Radius of the HQ can supply torpedoes. Assuming appropriate supply, etc.

3. IMO, yes. While my understanding is that the HQ will provide torpedoes, the Aviation Support doesn't extend out in hexes afaik. I have seen suggestions where naval support had some effect upon things like port loading within their command radius. I have not seen anything suggesting Av Support extended beyond the base. So, why put aviation support where they have no, or fewer planes to repair?
AV support is not the only thing an Air HQ does. It can help with getting replacement aircraft and upgrades, and with coordination of air strikes.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
szmike

Post by szmike »

But not through water hexes, unless neighbouring. So Air HQ in Kwajalein will supply torpedoes for Roi-Namur base, but assuming it had a radius of say 9, it wouldn't supply torpedoes to any other island in range.
OPilot

Post by OPilot »

Thank you for your responses.

I am still left with a question: Does command radius of "1" mean an HQ exerts influence in only the hex in which it is located or does it exert influence on the adjacent 6 hexes as well.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I am still left with a question: Does command radius of "1" mean an HQ exerts influence in only the hex in which it is located or does it exert influence on the adjacent 6 hexes as well.

Command radius of 1 means HQ exerts influence on its hex and those hexes (6) adjacent to ("1 hex away from") it.

ETA: Think of it like setting your CAP to "0" hex range. CAP will fly in the hex of their air base and nowhere else-not adjacent hexes. Similar vein for command radius.
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

ORIGINAL: szmike

But not through water hexes, unless neighbouring. So Air HQ in Kwajalein will supply torpedoes for Roi-Namur base, but assuming it had a radius of say 9, it wouldn't supply torpedoes to any other island in range.
Really? I seem to recall reading that you just had to be in range as the crow flies... do you have a manual page or reference post where that was noted?
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Command radius of 1 means HQ exerts influence on its hex and those hexes (6) adjacent to ("1 hex away from") it.

ETA: Think of it like setting your CAP to "0" hex range. CAP will fly in the hex of their air base and nowhere else-not adjacent hexes. Similar vein for command radius.

I honestly was unaware that command radius of HQs actually made it into the game. It always seemed to me that a lot of the functionality of HQs never made it past the drawing board.

Incidentally, if there is one drawback of the PP system, it's this. It's too expensive to organize LCUs in a reasonable and rationale way sometimes because the cost of moving LCUs between HQs stops you from being able to do the other things you need to do with those PPs.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
szmike

Post by szmike »

Really? I seem to recall reading that you just had to be in range as the crow flies... do you have a manual page or reference post where that was noted?

Just my experience. I was as surprised, when my torpedoes weren't supplied to an island in range of HQ full of them. The only explanation that occurred to me was that. See attached screenshot, my other squadron in Hilo has got torpedoes supplied from PH.

Attachments
torps.jpg
torps.jpg (149.37 KiB) Viewed 199 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Just my experience. I was as surprised, when my torpedoes weren't supplied to an island in range of HQ full of them. The only explanation that occurred to me was that. See attached screenshot, my other squadron in Hilo has got torpedoes supplied from PH.

What is the supply situation at VP-51's base? I think you need the minimum 2X supply to draw torpedoes, and each torp is 10 supply points.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Ach, yeah. When I was writing my response it didn't look right ... [X(][:o][X(]
Pax
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Your correct it is as the crow flies.

To all it doesn't take very much effort to prove any of this. Find an HQ and fly in torp carrying a/c to bases in and out of it's command range. Hawaii is a good place for the allies. Note you don't need av support but you do need supply at the base.
szmike

Post by szmike »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

What is the supply situation at VP-51's base? I think you need the minimum 2X supply to draw torpedoes, and each torp is 10 supply points.
The base has over 2k supplies, so it needs more than that.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Mike... what is the actual supply level of the Air HQ, in this case Forward Air Central Pacific?
Furthermore, is the HQ (if applicable) stocked up with torpedoes?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”