First game

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

76mm

First game

Post by 76mm »

Just wanted to post that I've completed my first game with EiA, with no game-killing bugs or crashes--I'll count that as success!

I don't know the board game so can't confirm whether everything was working/calculated correctly, but nothing obvious jumped out.

Only one issue, not sure if a bug or what: playing as France, I could not build any light ships (I tried in about 6 different ports). The weird thing was that while the up/down arrows were disabled, if I double-clicked on the ship picture (rather than the arrows), the shipbuilding menu would suddenly purchase either 21 or 36 light ships, depending on the port, and I could not adjust the quantity--is that WAD?
pzgndr

RE: First game

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
if I double-clicked on the ship picture (rather than the arrows), the shipbuilding menu would suddenly purchase either 21 or 36 light ships, depending on the port, and I could not adjust the quantity--is that WAD?

That's definitely not supposed to happen. I'll check that out.

For the classic EIA campaign based on the original boardgame, there are only heavy ships/fleets. The alternate EIH campaign includes light ships/fleets and transports. ravenflight had a similar observation. Players have a choice now between the two versions and they are both interesting to play.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
76mm

Post by 76mm »

OK, thanks. I should mention that I was playing the Classic 1805 Campaign, and that the same thing happens with transports; as I mentioned, click on the picture of the ship above the scrollbox, and some large number appears in the box. Let me know if you need a save file.

One other issue I'll mention is AI-related--GB kept landing small corps on my coast, and it was super-easy for me to post a strong corps near Paris and squash these invasions over and over and over again. Seems like the AI should be discouraged from doing that...

Thanks again for your support of this game; I enjoyed it quite a bit and look forward to trying again. The AI did kind of suck, so it is unfortunate that the PBEM games take so long--I think others have mentioned that it might be a good idea to draw some lessons from what the WiFfers are doing to resolve a similar issue with that game...
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I note that double clicking the top icon maxes out builds of that type, but double clicking the bottom icon will undo the action. Never noticed that before, not sure if that was intended for some reason or not. I also note that this does not happen with reinforcements. I will try to find and fix this on the build screen.

Regarding the mini-invasions, yeah I've been annoyed by some of those too but in some cases it's good to see the AI making some invasions. For the time being I'm making it less likely to occur in winter months. I may consider adding another small penalty for invading French-controlled provinces, since I've also seen Russia making some odd long-range invasions. Something I want to do for the next update is add some naval transport code for the AI to reinforce/withdraw as needed. Some day...
Bill Macon
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks. I also saw the odd Russian corps wandering around western Germany or eastern France, but it didn't happen as often as with the Brits.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
The weird thing was that while the up/down arrows were disabled, if I double-clicked on the ship picture (rather than the arrows), the shipbuilding menu would suddenly purchase either 21 or 36 light ships, depending on the port, and I could not adjust the quantity--is that WAD?

I have good news and bad news to report. I found and fixed the double-clicking issue. But, I went back to verify everything works OK for both unit builds and unit transfers and discovered a graphics bug when trying to transfer ships between fleets. For land units the corps images appear OK but for naval units the fleet images are not showing on the pop-up for selection and one of the transfer units on the window that pops up. So, another little mental challenge to figure out and fix for release. Some things are pretty easy, and some things aren't...
Bill Macon
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Not sure where to put this question, so I'll try here in my noob thread... I've played two games now and still can't figure out how to invade Russia (as France). As far as I can tell, I can't place my French supply depots in Austrian or Prussian territory, even if I have "access", so how on earth do I supply an army invading Russia? I figure I'm missing something obvious but could use a pointer!

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”