John Tiller’s Campaign Series 2.02 now available

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

rschilla

RE: John Tiller’s Campaign Series 2.02 now available

Post by rschilla »

Ah, so this in the Manual
After you have selected a region, the Map Editor screen will appear. At this screen, you can choose to use the various controls and slider bars to create a new, random map, or you can press the “Edit Existing Map” button to bring up a Dialog box listing all .map files contained in the Rising Sun directory.

If you are starting a new map, you have two basic choices:

Use the various controls (slider bars, toggle switches and up/down arrows) of the Map screen to set basic parameters for the map. These parameters include the map dimensions, base level of the terrain, and whether or not you want the map to have a coastline, lake , or a major river. Also provided are “slider bars” for each terrain type. The higher the value of the slider Bar , the more prevalent that terrain type will be on the map (or the wider the river). When you have adjusted these levels to your satisfaction, press the “Make Map” button and the program will create a random map based on your settings. You can then edit this map in the map editor program

is no longer operable? That is what was throwing me.
rschilla

Post by rschilla »

Thanks for the prompt response.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Kind of a pain in the butt, but if you still have an old version of West Front on your hard drive, you can use the old way with sliders to make one, then copy/paste into the new game! I still have very early versions of Talonsoft on my one hard drive!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
dgb100

Post by dgb100 »

Having all sorts of trouble after downloading and installing 2.02. Won't launch games, says audiele.dll missing, replaced that, now getting dozens of unable to load such and such files. Unfortunately I can't even find a clean uninstall method. Is there anyway to get a V1 download to install the 2.02 over? I had 2.01 working fine, but now even after reinstalling that version it doesn't work.
MagellanPOL

Post by MagellanPOL »

Hello,

In Edit sometimes I use toggle fixed ( fatigue, distributed ). Could change the way modify the status of units.
Now is that: first I put Units on the map and then choose Units and changing status on toggle ( fixed, fatigue, distributed )
New Buttom with new way: first I choose bottom (toggle fixed ( fatigue, distributed )), then every Units J put on the map have automatically fixed ( fatigue, distributed ).

This way is faster when I create new scenario
Sorry for my bad english
MartNick

Post by MartNick »

Awesome to see this patch!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: MartNick

Awesome to see this patch!

And there is more to come! Stay tuned for late 2016 for another big UPDATE.

Jason Petho
voicomp

Post by voicomp »

I have been playing this game since I landed a copy of the Battle of the Bulge (only) version with no unsighted artillery fire landing the next turn (Talon-Soft or pre-Talon-Soft? I don't see my copy atm) and I still love it. The best turn based game I know at this scale and it keeps getting better. So happy to hear more improvements are in the works! I would actually love a randomizer for even more terrain variations (city with lake, railroad, forest, lots of roads, rugged terrain) or even a true randomizer where the person asking for a scenario enters a level rating and the program gives a terrain complication (likely favoring defense) accordingly
Violence IS a language. I am fluent but I hate to have to speak it.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: voicomp

I have been playing this game since I landed a copy of the Battle of the Bulge (only) version with no unsighted artillery fire landing the next turn (Talon-Soft or pre-Talon-Soft? I don't see my copy atm) and I still love it. The best turn based game I know at this scale and it keeps getting better. So happy to hear more improvements are in the works! I would actually love a randomizer for even more terrain variations (city with lake, railroad, forest, lots of roads, rugged terrain) or even a true randomizer where the person asking for a scenario enters a level rating and the program gives a terrain complication (likely favoring defense) accordingly

If you played it pre-Talonsoft you must have John Tiller's or Jim Rose's personal copy! :)
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: voicomp

I would actually love a randomizer for even more terrain variations (city with lake, railroad, forest, lots of roads, rugged terrain) or even a true randomizer where the person asking for a scenario enters a level rating and the program gives a terrain complication (likely favoring defense) accordingly

That would be cool!!! [:)]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
carll11

Post by carll11 »

I have an older version, and have to ask what do you mean by 'sliders'?

On a general note, the battle randomizer kind of P's me off- example- using the desert theatre, you can at corp size get a very large map that allows you to maneuver Bns and Regts GRAND tactically, not just tactically.....neither the Med., NW Eur., or any East front regions gives you maps generated at such a size, so any suggestions about generating one for those theatres would be great...whats the slider 'gig' about?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: carl11

I have an older version, and have to ask what do you mean by 'sliders'?

On a general note, the battle randomizer kind of P's me off- example- using the desert theatre, you can at corp size get a very large map that allows you to maneuver Bns and Regts GRAND tactically, not just tactically.....neither the Med., NW Eur., or any East front regions gives you maps generated at such a size, so any suggestions about generating one for those theatres would be great...whats the slider 'gig' about?

Hello carl11

The slider gig discussion in the previous page was about a Map Editor feature for generating random maps that is no longer supported in 2.0 series.

Nothing to do with Random Battle generation, as such.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

I'm pretty sure in one of the dat files, you can change how big the maps are. Will have to look at them, it works for the DCG's so it should for randomd!

Campaign.pdt, open with notepad, -1 11 section

1 30 24 250 45 5

1=Battalion size
30=width of map
24=height of map
250 45=amount of victory points allotted and how much per location
5=amount of Victory Objectives on map

Desert maps are usually generated up to 2x the w/h number!

Edit, see what happens?

Works for DCG's, I think they both use this file to generate, so there you go!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
athineos

Post by athineos »

I am very disappointed that the Random Map Generator was taken out and is not supported any more with the last couple software updates. Any chance that might be added again in the near future?
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

ORIGINAL: athineos

I am very disappointed that the Random Map Generator was taken out and is not supported any more with the last couple software updates. Any chance that might be added again in the near future?

+1

I have to agree with you athineos.

The Random Map Generator was a good thing in the old generation of CS. However, I believe it won't be added to John Tiller's Campaign Series (JTCS)because it (JTCS) is no longer
officially supported. Instead there is in the works a new generation of Campaign Series being developed starting with the release of East Front III sometime in late 2017 or early
2018. There are some forum topics about it where you can add the request to a wish list.

Cheers!

Big Ivan[;)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: athineos

Since JTCS has been end-of-lifed with v2.02, no, there is no chance it will be added again in future.

Note that when you create a random battle in v2.02, you are in effect also creating a random map. You do not have full control over the details like you did with v1.04 and earlier, however. Meaning to say, you can broadly specify the map parameters, but the old sliders are gone.

With JTCS 2.02, you have two ways to create random maps:

[*]Create a random battle. This will create a random map named Random[X].map. Feel free to load up and revise in the map editor as you please.
[*]Create a random map in v1.04. (Reinstall JTCS 1.04 as necessary.) Copy it over to your JTCS v2.02 install. Again, feel free to load up and revise in the map editor as you please.

Really, not much has changed. The only difference is that, in 2.02, we dropped the sliders. But in 2.02 you can still make make random maps. If you sorely miss the sliders, they are still there in v1.04.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
athineos

Post by athineos »

I had already figured out the second option you mentioned (having 5 laptops helps) but I didn't think of the first one. Thanks!!!!!!!
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Have to say the newest patch has finally made the game playable (for me) again. Congrats to all those responsible. One thing I noticed. I don't hear any background music in the new patch when playing against the AI. I have it enabled, but I don't hear anything. I miss that. [:)]

Dep
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”