Jsut Purchased - Patches Required?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

anthonykevinluke

Jsut Purchased - Patches Required?

Post by anthonykevinluke »

Hi,

Just purchased the game after having the original many, many years ago. The version as downloaded is v1.00. Can someone please advise as to what is the latest complete update I need to download to bring the game up to date (comprehensive patch and any other add-ons beyond that). Thank you in anticipation of your response.

Cheers,

Tony
zakblood

RE: Jsut Purchased - Patches Required?

Post by zakblood »

just use the built in auto up dater and you will be fine, as long as run as admin and also have a admin account on your pc and let the game exe through your firewall, if you installed as admin, the pc and operating system on a modern pc would do this for you as default.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Titan

Post by Titan »

I cant auto update... ive bought a new PC with windows ten and I cant install war in the west no problem...But on this PC the check for update option is not on intro screen. I also have the patches on this machine so when I click on to install they tell me problem with serial Key see Matrix? could that be related to what you mentioned?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes, uninstall and make sure folder is wiped clean, no data left over etc, and re try, making sure you install as right click and run as administrator on the install package, also make sure you add the game and install exe to your anti virus and firewall package unless you use the default windows one, as run as admin will sort this for you, once installed and all the pre requites have been allowed to install and run, then click on the desktop shortcut and run from there, the auto updater needs to update once also before it will work, again this can be run from the install folder also, run as admin on this as well, make sure it's added or allowed to run on your firewall, or it won't be able to connect, if you have a none default anti virus and firewall solution to the default windows 10 one, you will need to find out how to allow the files to run, as some are rubbish at letting anything run on the pc, this is an issue with bad software, not the game
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

here's my install guide, not up to date with the latest ones, but enough there to help out most who need it

tm.asp?m=4088607
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

The very first time you load the game, it will not have an auto update on the initial log in screen.

That gets patched later, but does present an early problem. You need to patch in order to patch.

To get around that there is a file called update.exe in your main War in the West folder. Just run that. It's what clicking the update is supposed to do on the main screen.

After it does it's thing, you will be good to do all your patching from the intro screen.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Titan

Post by Titan »

Thanks guys...Ill try that, odd though war in the east never did that when installed on new machine....Is it a windows ten thing? old machine had 7. Anyway will do next day or two and let you know.

Cheers
jack54

Post by jack54 »

I never use auto update I download from the member's club

1.01.37 then if you want the 1.01.48 beta.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Titan

Post by Titan »

That has been the issue, ive tried putting the patch like that and it comes up with issue with serial number
Titan

Post by Titan »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

The very first time you load the game, it will not have an auto update on the initial log in screen.

That gets patched later, but does present an early problem. You need to patch in order to patch.

To get around that there is a file called update.exe in your main War in the West folder. Just run that. It's what clicking the update is supposed to do on the main screen.

After it does it's thing, you will be good to do all your patching from the intro screen.

Thanks Liquid...That worked a treat [:)][:D]
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Deleted

Missed previous post while typing[;)]
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”