Max ASW & AA research vs. upgrade limits?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

PHalen

Max ASW & AA research vs. upgrade limits?

Post by PHalen »

I’m well into my first Storm Over Europe campaign and play the Allies (to learn the game mechanisms with less schedule pressure that the Axis.) I’m playing with Welk’s excellent board game mod but I don’t believe he’s fiddled with the upgrade limits.

UK just researched ASW level 5.
But I still cannot upgrade the ASW level for any UK naval units, except destroyers, to higher than 2?
I can upgrade UK destroyers to max ASW level 3.

Similarly, US has researched AA level 4 and UK has researched AA level 3.
But I cannot upgrade the AA level for any US or UK units (not even AA units) to higher than 2?

Do these ASW and AA upgrade limits also apply for the Axis and the USSR?
(I’ve seen - and after many dives - eventually managed to sink a German sub with Advanced Sub level 4.)

Are these ASW and AA upgrade limits normal or a mod feature?

I’m about to start my first campaign as Axis so I’d like to avoid spending precious MPPs on research that I cannot apply...

Thanks
BillRunacre

RE: Max ASW & AA research vs. upgrade limits?

Post by BillRunacre »

Upgrades can be applied at different levels to different things, e.g. resources can be upgraded with AA upto level 5, while units have lower upgrade limits.

With ASW, it can be researched up to level 5 and this automatically reduces the losses convoys suffer (i.e. it's included within the convoy raiding calculations) so it still beneficial even though ships have lower upgrade limits.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

Upgrades can be applied at different levels to different things, e.g. resources can be upgraded with AA upto level 5, while units have lower upgrade limits.

With ASW, it can be researched up to level 5 and this automatically reduces the losses convoys suffer (i.e. it's included within the convoy raiding calculations) so it still beneficial even though ships have lower upgrade limits.

Thanks for clarifying that, Bill. I was under the(mistaken) impression that if ASW was researched up to level 5, then my Destroyers would be able to be upgraded to level 5.
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
PHalen

Post by PHalen »

Ah! Thanks Bill!
I was wondering about how to handle the Allied bombers come 43/44 (they are a nuisance already in 41) since I expect my Axis fighters to become worn down by a swarm of combined UK/US fighters. So it’s very useful to know that the target resources can be upgraded to higher AA levels![:)]
And that AA levels above 2 primarily are useful for the Axis.

About ASW levels, Daon also kindly advised to check the thread "Researched ASW to 5, can't upgrade..." in the Tech Support forum.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”