Allied opponent for DaBigBabes C (Closed)

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Puhis

Allied opponent for DaBigBabes C (Closed)

Post by Puhis »

I'm looking an allied opponent to play DaBigBabes scenario 28 (Dec 7 start, extended map with stacking limits and lower cargo capacity). I prefer historical style, historically "plausible" game. I'm not going to do anything gamey. I'm looking for a similar opponent, who wants to keep things real, not exploit the engine. I can usually play 7 turns each week, sometimes maybe more.

Settings: 
1 day turns 
Advanced Weather: OFF 
PDU: OFF 
Realistic R&D: ON 
Historical first turn, December surprise, faulty USN torpedoes, FOW
Allied damage control: OFF (I'd like to try this one to slow down the game a bit. Have anyone tried damage control OFF, is there any difference?)
Auto subs: OFF 
Latest Beta patch

House Rules: 
Player must pay PP to move restricted units across borders 
Plane max altitude 25000 feet 
No gamey air unit resize using carriers 
No strategic bombing in China 
Only strategic night bombing (city attack missions, no airfield or port attacks)
Picket ships (I prefer not) must be warships at least 1500 tons 
OPilot

RE: Allied opponent for DaBigBabes C

Post by OPilot »

Puhis

I might be interested. I am a fairly experienced player but don't frequent the forum that often. I just finished a Burma Scenario and I am thinking about starting a GC game as the Allies. I have always played GC with stock maps but I want the next one to be DBB with extended maps and ChemKid maps. We would have to discuss HR's. I'm not sure I like some that you have proposed.

Please feel free to email me at cdawson002@triad.rr.com.

OPilot
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Based on my experience (currently doing allied PBEM in 1943 with DC off), I think Allied DC off is unrealistic in terms of modeling damage control for the allies. The ships simply go down way too easily and setting to "off" actually makes Japanese DC seemingly stronger due to higher crew and leader experience/modifiers. Moreover, given Allied material advantage, I don't think having it off seriously slows down operational tempo. That's what the lower cargo capacity of DBB-C does.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Based on my experience (currently doing allied PBEM in 1943 with DC off), I think Allied DC off is unrealistic in terms of modeling damage control for the allies. The ships simply go down way too easily and setting to "off" actually makes Japanese DC seemingly stronger due to higher crew and leader experience/modifiers. Moreover, given Allied material advantage, I don't think having it off seriously slows down operational tempo. That's what the lower cargo capacity of DBB-C does.

Are you playing Babes or stock scenario? I wouldn't ask anyone to play stock scenario with damage control off. However, it seems that playing Babes allies seems to sink my ships in ratio 2:1 (and carriers 4:1), so I hope damage control off would make Japan at least a bit more competitive after 1942.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I'm playing with DBB-C
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Puhis,

I wish I could step up to the plate but due to health and other time commitments, I can't. I did want to say that I applaud your "historically 'plausible'" approach, as I fully agree with it as an overall guide to play. However, given what I've read about World War 2 damage control, as well as seeing it first hand in the navy, I think I must agree with Anachro in that the Japanese DC was faulty to a fault (if it could be described as such) and put alongside the US system, even in 1941 when the USN was untested, as an equal is totally unrealistic. I urge you to read such works as "Shattered Sword" which goes into great lengths about the IJN's DC practices (or lack of them) prior to the battle of Midway. It will change your perspective if you are really interested in a historically slanted game. I would also bring your attention to your weather choice given the same perspective. Having crossed the Pacific six times, it can be VERY ugly much of the time. Just some input, ignore as you see fit and I hope you don't think I'm intruding on your desires to play your own game as you see fit. Hal

PS I've played the game in both the stock and the DBBs versions and still stand by my DC observations.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”