Good Lord, I've purchased a monster

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Mordwand

Good Lord, I've purchased a monster

Post by Mordwand »

Having been a long time dabbler in wargames (recently Panzer Corps, Unity of Command, and all the way back to Vulcan on ZX Spectrum!), I bought WitW on sale. It has to be said that this was done in a state of inebriation. My befuddled brain convinced me that I would have the patience, time, skill and, in anticipation of sobriety, clarity to get my head around it.

As I type, I am relatively unintoxicated (?), but have just done some background reading into Operation Husky...the 'introductory' scenario.

Jaaysus, Mary and Joseph...this 'tutorial' scenario is more involved than any of the other full games I own, combined (possibly with the exception of the the tutorial for CMANO). The bigger scenarios, at first glance, make me feel strangely queasy, but utterly intrigued at the same time...

Why do I do this to myself? Why do I not heed the 'steep learning curve' warnings? Pesky Talisker!

If this is just to break you into the game... well, I may need an extension on my anticipated 70-odd years' lifespan. I'm well over half-way there already, so this may well be the last game I feel compelled (certainly in a single-malt-whisky fuelled state) to buy. I'll have no time for another, if I learn this one properly. It's magnificent.

To paraphrase Sir Alex Ferguson, 'War in the West...bloody hell!'

I'm having fun, though...
Capitaine

RE: Good Lord, I've purchased a monster

Post by Capitaine »

It's not too bad to get a feel for the game with Operation Husky. You begin to see how things actually work and it becomes fairly smooth sailing. The devil is in understanding all the math and data to become expert at the game. Which you don't necessarily have to do to enjoy it.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”